Shogun Appreciation Society

jlbro

Re: Shogun Appreciation Society

Postby jlbro » Mon May 31, 2021 4:48 pm

Hi rkelsen

Yeah the frame and forks etc were all taken back to bare metal. All decals were reproduced as when I contacted the distributer I received doughnuts. All the components were NIB sourced mainly from Europe. I've made a couple of small change from original, the cluster is 13x 26 instead of 13x21...easier for an old man!!!! The rear chain guard was removed. The saddle was replaced with a new Selle SLG (light weight). The wheels are 36 spoke and not as the original 32 spoke.

The paint & decals were done by Sun Graphics. Wheels etc. by Dan Hale (Shifter Bikes Melbourne).

Regards
jlbro
Last edited by jlbro on Mon May 31, 2021 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon May 31, 2021 5:50 pm

jlbro wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 4:48 pm
<snips>

The paint & decals were done by Sun Graphics.

Regards
jlbro
Ah, that explains the excellent finish,
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon May 31, 2021 8:36 pm

Yeah superb result mate. Well done.

Boyetiful

Postby Boyetiful » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:35 pm

Sharing my newly restored Shogun Trail Breaker 3 (Not quite sure of the model though, probably 1989 or later model) Cheers!

skippa

Postby skippa » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:09 pm

First time checking this thread in a while, that Team Issue restoration is stunning. Awesome work. Love seeing these builds.
As a side note-
Would anyone be interested in purchasing my Katana triple triangle in Brisbane/Sunny Coast?
It's been a fun ride since I picked it up in January but I really need to consolidate my bike gear as I am moving to a very small place and only need one bike to commute to uni (well... we will see how long that lasts!).

I am not sure how I would go about selling it or what it would be worth but I know these triple triangles are getting harder to come by. It is currently all apart as I was running it fixed gear for a little while but decided to put the groupset back on it as even the basic old Shimano groupset shifted so much nicer than my cheap commuter roadie does.

My apologies if this 'expression of sale interest' is not permitted in the Appreciation thread, if not I can delete it, I just thought this place would be the place to put it out there! If it doesn't go to a Shogun diehard I would rather just hold onto it hence why I haven't put it officially up for sale.
Cheers guys, keep up the rad builds.

swattdesigns

Postby swattdesigns » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:36 pm

Hi all,

Completely new (well, a revitalised interest from the younger years!) to doing up bikes but I've found this killer Shogun 'Prairie Breaker,' reasonable condition, however the chain seems to be skipping on the front middle sprocket. Could be too worn? Other adjustment?

I'm going to start tinkering over the weekend so any suggestions would be great!

Where do I look to find parts? Thanks, Sam.

lumpski

Postby lumpski » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:50 pm

Ok I read in this thread that the shogun roadies are rare?
I didn't realise this but I have just completed my kind of restro of a shogun alpine gt 1988 touring bike.
Ow I'm new here and completely unaware of how to post a pic 🤔
No hello how are you etc.
Very rude group.
It's ok I'll use my knowledge to help other elsewhere!
Last edited by lumpski on Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dimitrizee

Postby Dimitrizee » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:46 pm

swattdesigns wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:36 pm
Hi all,

Completely new (well, a revitalised interest from the younger years!) to doing up bikes but I've found this killer Shogun 'Prairie Breaker,' reasonable condition, however the chain seems to be skipping on the front middle sprocket. Could be too worn? Other adjustment?

I'm going to start tinkering over the weekend so any suggestions would be great!

Are you sure its skipping on the front? Could be the rear cassette thats worn.

Dimitrizee

Postby Dimitrizee » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:48 pm

Just picked up a very used triple triangle framed Shogun road bike with a Suntour "Ole" groupset.. Looks to be a copy of the Shimano Sante sets? Anyone ever seen it before? Thought they only came with Shimano groupsets?

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:04 pm

Dimitrizee wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:48 pm
Just picked up a very used triple triangle framed Shogun road bike with a Suntour "Ole" groupset.. Looks to be a copy of the Shimano Sante sets? Anyone ever seen it before? Thought they only came with Shimano groupsets?
Olé was a mid-range group, intro'd in 89 as a response to Shimano Santé.

Completely functional, but not a 'sporty' groupset . Very much a styling exercise. By the late 80s SunTour were in a bit of trouble, with AccuShift (SunTour's indexed shifting) not doing well against Shimano SIS. Slightly undeserved, and possibly contributed to by poor knowledge on the part of installers and bike shops.

Boyetiful

Postby Boyetiful » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:02 pm

swattdesigns wrote:
Hi all,

How's the tinkering?

There's a dedicated Australian Facebook group for retro bikes (pre 2000). Might be worth checking that out.

lumpski

Postby lumpski » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:01 pm

swattdesigns wrote:
Hi all,

Have you checked for chain stretch?
If your chain is stretched to much you will need to replace the cassette and if ridden for along period of time stretched you maybe looking at new chain rings.

Dervish

Postby Dervish » Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:50 pm

I'm a long time Shogun Alpine GT rider, it seems they are a well known bike among those in the know. I've had three separate occasions where someone working in a bike shop either had one themselves or worked with someone who did. I've had this one since 2009, I think, and I haven't done much to it except racks, fenders and 700C wheels. Just in the last month been put out to pasture by a Surly Disc Trucker, but I don't think I could sell it.

Photos from a recent ride from Canberra to Moruya.

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:13 pm

Decent load! Did you use the DLock?

Dervish

Postby Dervish » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:20 pm

Imwit wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:13 pm
Decent load! Did you use the DLock?
Nope. It's a permanent fixture on the bike, and I'm so blind to it that I just forgot to take it off. I was carrying gear for others as well, so yeah - it was a heavy bike.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:14 pm

Lovely bike, one of my all-time favourites, maybe because it was a pure example of the SunTour touring range (... and I may be a SunTour tragic).

kot mel

Postby kot mel » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:36 pm

Hi everyone!

Does anyone want to sell Shogun Team Issue?
Size 56 or 58.
Condition is not crucial as long as frame is straight and paint is in fare/ good condition.
Preferably original components, but not very crucial.

If anyone is willing to sell please let me know.

Thank you.

Bmp776

Postby Bmp776 » Wed May 04, 2022 9:00 pm

Hi all,

Signing in.
I picked up a 1989 Shogun Prairie breaker Pro about a month ago maybe. It's been sitting (hiding) in the shed until I had a chance to source new tan walls and some maintenance bits and pieces to get it up and running reliably.

It's a bit rough but I am happy to clean it up as much as I can and address all the rust issues and ride it as is until I get a chance for a full on restoration of the frame. Loving it so far.

Will post pictures when I get my post count up as I assume there is a minimum post count before you can start posting pictures.

I picked it up from a shogun contributer I believe as I spotted the exact catalogue that someone posted here a while ago and they mentioned the owner's name as Alana, which is who I bought the bike from.

LOPANindustries

Postby LOPANindustries » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:44 am

Hi all.

I have a Trail breaker 2 which I purchased between 2001 and 2006.
How do I work out what year it is and how much it's worth?

amyannick

Postby amyannick » Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:45 pm

LOPANindustries wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:44 am
Hi all.

I have a Trail breaker 2 which I purchased between 2001 and 2006.
How do I work out what year it is and how much it's worth?
I believe the first two digits of the serial number indicate the year. Certainly for older bikes this is the case. If you can find some old catalogues, that would be a good way find out too.

For pricing, there is a very simple method given by the formula:
where alpha is the age of the bike in years, beta is the amount of money you have spent on it, and gamma is the percentage of your garage that is taken up by bikes/bike parts. It is a remarkably accurate formula, with 99% of bikes on facebook marketplace selling within 1% of the formula's predicted price.

I am, of course, being facetious. No one is going to be able to tell you how to determine the worth with any accuracy. The best thing you can do is the obvious thing, and probably the thing you have already done, which is to look on Facebook/gumtree/etc for similar listings while noting that asking prices are higher than selling prices normally. If you can't find enough similar listings, list it for a price you'd be happy with and see what the buyer feedback is.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:16 pm

amyannick wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:45 pm
For pricing, there is a very simple method given by the formula:
:lol:

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:48 am

Interesting old carbon Shogun Kaze for sale, Sydney.
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kellyvi ... 1295435867

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:54 pm

stevenaaus wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:48 am
Interesting old carbon Shogun Kaze for sale, Sydney.
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kellyvi ... 1295435867
$999 is dreaming
Anything you can do, I can do slower

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:11 pm

$999 is dreaming
Yeah - probably - I'd cough up five or six hundred if it was running ok, and "up here", not down there. But I've never seen one for sale before, just seen my mates Ninja with the same frame.

Does anyone know how this bike rides compared to a 2004 TCR C1, say. My mate converted his to a 9 speed flatbar as he's getting on, but still loves his super expensive old Shogun Ninja.
Shifters and big chain ring look VGC

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:01 am

It's a little bit off. The 7800 groupset looks pretty tidy, there's gotta be $500-600 value in that alone.