The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

g-boaf

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby g-boaf » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:03 pm

Around 5:30pm today I avoided a head on with another rider going north on M7 cycleway cutting right across a 90° corner so he could keep his momentum.

Fortunately I wasn’t too close so could have slammed on the brakes if I had to.

I haven’t got a camera so can’t prove it if someone claims otherwise. But I know I’m cautious around those corners because I expect it.

Hopefully he won’t do it again.
Last edited by g-boaf on Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:44 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:03 pm
Around 5:30pm today I avoided a head on with another rider going north and on M7 cycleway cutting right across a 90° corner so he could keep his momentum.
A lot of the guys who ride on the M7 only ever ride there so they seem to have very little spacial awareness since they are not used to dealing with cars, traffic lights or other diversions. Some of them think the M7 path is their own private cycleway.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:54 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:44 pm
g-boaf wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:03 pm
Around 5:30pm today I avoided a head on with another rider going north and on M7 cycleway cutting right across a 90° corner so he could keep his momentum.
A lot of the guys who ride on the M7 only ever ride there so they seem to have very little spacial awareness since they are not used to dealing with cars, traffic lights or other diversions. Some of them think the M7 path is their own private cycleway.
I usually don’t ride there in the evenings. Anyway, not in a hurry since it was commute mode.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:28 am

WFH today so went for a ride before I started work. Cam across a cyclist riding on a shared path while her dog runs alongside her - no leash of course. At least she said "sorry" after I had to come to a stop to avoid cleaning up her dog :roll:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:36 am

Retrobyte wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:28 am
WFH today so went for a ride before I started work. Cam across a cyclist riding on a shared path while her dog runs alongside her - no leash of course. At least she said "sorry" after I had to come to a stop to avoid cleaning up her dog :roll:

"sorry" but i will do it again, so not really sorry.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:58 pm

When you gotta go, you gotta go ....

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:20 pm

Retrobyte wrote:

Yeah dogs don’t take much notice of motor cars so it doesn’t surprise me that he/she didn’t take much notice of your presence…

And ringing the bell doesn’t help much either (in my experience).

But if you looked like a cat, or a rabbit, or a kangaroo, it would be a different story :lol:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:15 am

Pedestrians on shared paths walking right down the middle totally in phone world. No amount of noise breaks their attention away from the damn phone.

That should be illegal - $1000 fine. :roll:

This one wasn’t wearing headphones, just all attention at the phone screen. My complaint **as a pedestrian** - so pedestrian advocates here can’t flame me…

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:38 am

g-boaf wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:15 am
Pedestrians on shared paths walking right down the middle totally in phone world. No amount of noise breaks their attention away from the damn phone.

That should be illegal - $1000 fine. :roll:

This one wasn’t wearing headphones, just all attention at the phone screen. My complaint **as a pedestrian** - so pedestrian advocates here can’t flame me…
Annoying but no chance of that fine happening as I'm sure you are aware. :(
Should be a loss of licence for the dangerous cretins who do the same driving a car :x
Dogs are the best people :wink:

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:57 am

jasonc wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:36 am
Retrobyte wrote:

"sorry" but i will do it again, so not really sorry.
I get overly grumpy and usually respond "no you are not" if I get a Say What I fill out the detail "you deliberately chose to do it and I expect you will continue doing it" (and I do own a dog)

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:28 am

Well, it's clearly a charity run so I do have some sympathy. But seriously, the exact same thing happened to me from the exact same event last year.

Pretty sure your event permit doesn't let you occupy the entire width of the Goodwill Bridge for no particular reason.

I ran into them coming the other direction last year. And some idiot yelled at me for riding at about half their walking pace hard up left against the railing in the two inches they'd left me.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:26 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:28 am
I ran into them coming the other direction last year. And some idiot yelled at me for riding at about half their walking pace hard up left against the railing in the two inches they'd left me.
There is no point in arguing with them. If the participants behave like that consistently then you may be better protesting with those who give the approvals for the event to run in the first place and provide evidence to back your claims. Then the event might not go ahead next time, or if it does, it will be with much more strict controls.

Maybe that isn't nice towards charity events, but it is the only way given how combative some participants like to be these days.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:58 pm

I do a park run on a share path most Saturday mornings. Up to 400 people with a mass start using the public pathway. Every run they ask people to keep left. Mostly they do after the first km spreads people out. The first km is a bit crazy and the pack takes up the lath and more. Normally we call "bike" if someone is riding towards the pack and almozy everyone moves left. Oncoming walkers will also mostly get called. Last week there was a complaint to the organisers about a pedestrian being hit so we got a special reminder yesterday. On the flip side I've seen what can only be described as an aggressive rider maintaining a course virtually on the centre line when they could have been a little further left and given everyone some extra room.

Every now and then it goes wrong. People in a pack aren't the smartest. The event organisers need to be made aware their participants need to share the path, but also that the participants need reminding every start.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:20 pm

It's a heavily trafficked 6.5m wide bridge with pedestrians and bikes going both ways.

You'd think someone wouldn't need a reminder to not take up the whole width of it, but there you go.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:37 pm

Retrobyte wrote:

What would she of said if you had cleaned up her dog?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:09 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:20 pm
It's a heavily trafficked 6.5m wide bridge with pedestrians and bikes going both ways.

You'd think someone wouldn't need a reminder to not take up the whole width of it, but there you go.
Cyclists and pmd riders are the only ones breaking the law. Just ask the police

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:36 pm

It occurred to me today that the Venn diagram of people saying 'cyclists ride too fast' and people who can't keep left probably shows considerable overlap.

'How dare you pass me too closely and too quickly in the two inches of shared path I left for you'.

uart

Postby uart » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:17 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:28 am
Well, it's clearly a charity run so I do have some sympathy.
Which charity is it Mr Purple. Is that the "charity to raise money for people injured by walking into cyclists" that they're walking for? 8)

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:13 am

jasonc wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:09 pm
Mr Purple wrote:

Cyclists and pmd riders are the only ones breaking the law. Just ask the police
Unfortunately I don't think there's an actual law to keep left on shared paths.

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/safety ... he%20road.

It's just one of those things that is common courtesy and common sense. Which is why people often don't follow it.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:29 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:13 am
Unfortunately I don't think there's an actual law to keep left on shared paths.

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/safety ... he%20road.

It's just one of those things that is common courtesy and common sense. Which is why people often don't follow it.
common sense is no longer common. it's a super power.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:44 am

Out of the supermarket on the weekend. Trolley full of groceries. I was in the process of turning down the ramp to the carpark and heard "Careful" from my shopping copilot as an e scooter whizzed past - inside the building. Nearly took out the little cherub. I'm not the one that should be looking behind me in that case.

I guess "careful" was directed at me to avoid getting hurt, rather than avoiding hurting someone who should not have been passing in silence, at speed.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:55 pm

Rider coming towards me stupidly swings out to pass pedestrians despite me being really close.

I’m riding opposite direction with a clear way ahead of me, should he be the one waiting till it is safe to pass? :evil: I slammed the brakes and gave him a telling off.

He also close shaved the poor walkers. :roll: Now they will hate anyone on a bicycle.

JPB

Postby JPB » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:14 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:55 pm
Rider coming towards me stupidly swings out to pass pedestrians despite me being really close.

I’m riding opposite direction with a clear way ahead of me, should he be the one waiting till it is safe to pass? :evil: I slammed the brakes and gave him a telling off.

He also close shaved the poor walkers. :roll: Now they will hate anyone on a bicycle.
Hopefully they heard you tell him off and know you did not view it acceptable.
I have had similar occur and had the walkers cheerfully comment to me the other ride was an idiot.

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:13 am

g-boaf wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:55 pm
clip.... clip

I’m riding opposite direction with a clear way ahead of me, should he be the one waiting till it is safe to pass? :evil: clip...clip
YES!
Alan
BentCyclist

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:46 pm

Mr Purple wrote:

I'm not sure if the rider is you or someone else, but this situation seems tailor made to ringing one's bell. Not especially crowded, people chatting and taking up more room than they should... I find most people will generally move. Sure some don't, but most do.