The Great Bike Ride 2007

Aushiker

The Great Bike Ride 2007

Postby Aushiker » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:38 am

G'day

The website and registrations are now open for the Great Bike Ride 2007 to be held on November 25, 2007.

Four categories ranging from 12 km family, to 106 km timed. Opportunity to get a century in maybe.

The 56 km laps are in two forms: timed and Cyclo Sportiff.

Full details can be found by clicking here.

Regards
Andrew

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:03 pm

I'm in for the timed 53km - registered me and the hubby the other night. Last year I did it in 2:15 which wasn't too bad as it was the 2nd time I had ridden over 50kms. For the freeway ride, I knocked 17 minutes off this year from last year, so I am hoping to knock at least 30 minutes off this ride. Don't forget, I've got the new bike too :D

Was keen to do the 106km, but the 5.30am start just isn't possible... :oops:

For those who are doing it, it would be good to try to meet up at a specific place after (or before) the ride.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:04 pm

Looks like fun. I reckon I'll be in it for either the 53km or 106km rides.

I would also be keen to join up before the ride, or after if that is what is decided. It would be good to do the 106km ride as part of a group for support .....

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:36 pm

I wonder why it cost $65 to do 2 laps and $35 to do one? I can't see any difference in administration costs. Ah well, it's for a good cause.
---------------------

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:29 pm

I can't wait to do the shocker of a hill somewhere in Mosman Park. I remember it last year...I also remember getting stuck behind a tandem - the wife was at the back pedalling and the hubby was at the front walking. Unfortunately for me, I couldn't overtake, so had to get off and walk too :oops: I'm hoping to power up this year.

Wish I could remember where that hill was and do a bikely on it. I need to find something to train on!! It stopped heaps of riders and the 'bents fared badly indeed. We stopped at the top and took some photos (which make the hill look flat - damn perspective!!) and watched a hand cyclist go up. Obviously he couldn't get off and walk, so poured on the power. It was an impressive sight and put many to shame. That would be so hard though.

Sorry I'm not doing the 106km Graeme...a 5.30 start means up at 4am to do dog duties...it will never happen!!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:06 pm

Kalgrm wrote:I wonder why it cost $65 to do 2 laps and $35 to do one? I can't see any difference in administration costs. Ah well, it's for a good cause.
Extra Ambulances
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:57 pm

I'll be doing it again this year, not decided if I'm going to do the 53km or 106km at the moment.

I'm currently sat in HK airport, wondering if my flight is leaving on time as there is a Tropical Cyclone bearing down on HK! :(

http://www.weather.gov.hk/wxinfo/currwx/tc_pos.htm

It bypassed on Thursday and then it did a U turn (look at the path on the link above)! This one's got attitude! All being well, should be back in Perth at 8am tomorrow!

Cheers,

Gary

nimm

Postby nimm » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:55 am

this sounds like fun, i'm up for the 53km timed ride I think.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:21 pm

moosterbounce wrote:I can't wait to do the shocker of a hill somewhere in Mosman Park. I remember it last year...I also remember getting stuck behind a tandem
The ride map is at here if that helps.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:15 pm

Registered in the slow group - 20 - 25 km/h. Hopefully by November 25, I am edging out of this range so will have free air :)

Andrew

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:53 pm

moosterbounce wrote:Wish I could remember where that hill was and do a bikely on it. I need to find something to train on!! It stopped heaps of riders and the 'bents fared badly indeed. We stopped at the top and took some photos (which make the hill look flat - damn perspective!!) and watched a hand cyclist go up. Obviously he couldn't get off and walk, so poured on the power. It was an impressive sight and put many to shame. That would be so hard though.
pretty sure it's Johnson Parade in Mosman Park. Winds thru Mosman Park Memorial Park and Jabe Dodd Park.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:25 pm

Aushiker wrote:Registered in the slow group - 20 - 25 km/h. Hopefully by November 25, I am edging out of this range so will have free air :)

Andrew
Last year they had people of all speeds mixed in everywhere - unlike the freeway ride. So, you may be stuck behind a slow-poke, or able to sit behind someone faster for a while. I found I was able to ride my own pace without too much bother from anyone. Last year I started group H - which was probably more about when I registered than the expected speed as I overtook some people who started in the group ahead of me (you can see this from the results). I hope it is the same this year as I find it allows you to ride your own pace and not try to keep up with others around you if you don't want to.

Looking forward to it - I love training for an event - although it isn't a race, I like to do my best time. :D

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:36 pm

moosterbounce wrote:I can't wait to do the shocker of a hill somewhere in Mosman Park. {snip} It stopped heaps of riders and the 'bents fared badly indeed. {snip}
I had the pleasure(?) of riding up this hill last night with a group of friends (all mountain bikers riding roadies). One of the guys who was on the ride last year said he had never seen so much carbon being walked up a hill before! :D

I can certainly see why it stopped a lot of riders in the community ride - it's a show-stopper alright! I'm pleased to say we all got up it last night - even me on the 'bent.

(It doesn't look very daunting in Bikely though Moo - only 37m of climbing!)

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:15 pm

Hmmm...this must be the hill. It shouldn't be tough, but you really need to watch the traffic...or rather the "speed humps" in front of you. Nice to know a 'bent can make it though :wink:

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:05 pm

I rode up that hill in the lowest granny gear I had. There was a lot of people walking up it though.

The organisers of the Great Bike Ride used to have a problem with touring/aero/tri bars being fitted to the bike.

I wonder if it's the same case this year.

Kev.
There is only one BicycleWA.

Cambo

Postby Cambo » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:13 am

Well it's two months today until this event. Who will be riding on the day and what sort of preparation if any will you be undertaking?

I have just started riding in the last couple of weeks and will be aiming to complete the ride without falling behind my starting group (20-25kph).

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:41 am

The last I heard was that recumbent trikes were banned. The ride is also being promoted as a race.

I received an email from them stating that they were reviewing the situation and this was several weeks ago. Their web site has not changed to reflect any changes, so I presume that recumbent trikes are still banned unless anyone has heard otherwise.

Their web site still promotes it at a race.

Has anyone heard anything else yet as the organisers stated that they were changing their web site to reflect the proposed changes.

Kev.
There is only one BicycleWA.

DrJ

Postby DrJ » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:42 am

I have signed up for the 106km - will be happy to go under 4hrs at the moment given the way training has been compromised by colds, long trips over east and more recently by this extended winter (we do need the rain though so I won't complain).

Hopefully will be better prepared before the event when the better weather kicks in. With 3 kids under 5 and working full time training time is limited, but I find getting up early on weekends and riding down the coast and back is working well. Doing 60km at a time at the moment, but hoping to work up to 100km by November.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:46 pm

With the 53km ride, I won't be doing any special training - just my normal fine weather riding. Can easily ride the distance and won't be racing anyone. The ride is times, but I don't think it is a race. I am hoping to knock off 30 minutes from last year. All being well, that should be possible (just my luck to join the Black Cats on that day :roll: ).

I do need to spend more time on the bike though...it has been a slack couple of weeks (if you call working and buying and selling property and all that stuff "slack"). I haven't even been on the trainer!! Maybe I do need to think about a training plan :oops:

Kinda wish now that I was doing the 106km...but such early mornings just don't work in our house (those dogs are so clingy!!)

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:43 pm

heavymetal wrote:The last I heard .... {snip}

Has anyone heard anything else yet as the organisers stated that they were changing their web site to reflect the proposed changes.

Kev.
One of the guys in the WAHPV group had a meeting with the organisers, the outcome being this post in this thread on 31/08/07 on the Yahoo group for the WAHPV:
Just an update to The City of Perth Great Bike Ride.

I had a meeting with Tami McMahon Director Fundraising of the Heart
Foundation today. The Heart Foundation is the principal organisers
and holds the licenses for the event. In summary all recumbents
including trikes are likely to be able to participate in the bike
event. This is to be confirmed within the next couple of weeks and
will be announced through the web site as soon as the information is
confirmed.

The issue of trikes causing safety concerns were part of the risk
modelling the organisers completed. The trikes themselves were not
considered unsafe as a type of bike but how other participants were
going to interact with this type of bike as well as recumbents on the
whole. Tami also agreed with me and the risk models that I had
completed that the main risk to this event was the prize money and
the competitive nature the event was being perceived as. This also
is going to be addressed. The word "race" in all promotional
information and advertising will be dropped and participants will not
pickup their "race kit" but their participants kit. The prize money
is also being reviewed and is expected to be dropped from the event.

There were a number of external influences why prizes were going to
be apart of this event. Those external influences have changed and
that is why the organisers are reviewing the event in detail.

The bottom line is the organisers are reviewing the whole concept and
refocusing on what the event should be sold as and that is far from
being a race with prize money.

Watch the web site for further information.

Cheers

Craig
So it looks like we had a win. Go TEAM!

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------