Some days you're Superman, others you're his his dirty socks

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Some days you're Superman, others you're his his dirty socks

Postby europa » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:22 am

I don't know who nicked my body last night, but I'd like it back please. The horrible old thing I was dragging around this morning ain't worth tuppence. Headed off on the school run with the lad - no magpies swooped me because I obviously wasn't a threat to anything. Heavy. Lethargic. No power in the legs. No strength in me back. Sheesh. I woosed out and turned around before heading down Expressway Hill - couldn't face the climb back up. In hindsight, I probably could have done it but as the heading says -

Some days you are Superman ...

today I was his dirty socks 8)

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:11 am

Dont you work yourself too hard!!! :shock: .

You'll do more harm than good. Maybe this regular ride you are doing is finally catching up to you.

Maybe the next few days do a few little rides, or more flatter rides. I know, i know it isnt as fun, but it will do your body some good.

Mitch.

you may even turn back into superman...pft :roll:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKYS. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Until next time...

Bluerider

Postby Bluerider » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:04 am

We mere mortals cannot be like Superman everyday !
His Felt Carbon F5C ' 07.....
Giant MTB
Hers Cell MTB
Kids Mongoose x 2 Tricycle x 1

europa

Postby europa » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:09 am

Bluerider wrote:We mere mortals cannot be like Superman everyday !
No but I'd like the variations to be a tad more subtle sometimes :D

Today was a shocker. Normally, five or ten kms under me belt and I'm alive and bursting. Today though, the legs woke up but I had absolutely no upper body strength with the result that my hands took the full brunt of carrying that weight. It showed dramatically how important upper body strength is to cycling fitness. As Mike has said quite a few times in training discussions, work on your upper body as well.

Richard

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:24 pm

europa wrote: No but I'd like the variations to be a tad more subtle sometimes :D

Today was a shocker. Normally, five or ten kms under me belt and I'm alive and bursting. Today though, the legs woke up but I had absolutely no upper body strength with the result that my hands took the full brunt of carrying that weight. It showed dramatically how important upper body strength is to cycling fitness. As Mike has said quite a few times in training discussions, work on your upper body as well.

Richard
I hear ya Richard , i've been going through the same process and been looking at your setup with keen interest.

As you say, a person should be able to ride on the hoods and lift the hands off the bars. This took some doing, i've had the seat position back for a while now so I bit the bullet and put the original goose neck back on (120mm 12 degree)

the greater differential between the seat height and bars has taken some getting used too, and for the first week or so i rode mainly on the flats and spent increasingly longer time periods on the hoods in the more outstretched style.

the biggest difference now is that my jelly belly is slowly shrinking i can ride flatter and not have it cave in the bottom of my lungs. Currently i try and do periods of riding where i focus more on my position and style.

Oh man did i pay for my bright idea ! i thought i was getting fit till this new position!! but the newly rediscovered muscles told me it was a good pain (yea but its a dry heat).

This has really started to change my core body shape , underneath the fat are a developing set of abs (i call em flabs) and i feel similar changes to my lower back area.

Now i have the option of getting lower its working out well, sometimes if i need to recover on the run and get that heart rate back down or when its blowing, its nice to present a smaller aerodynamic profile and spin back to recovery.

europa

Postby europa » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:15 pm

Hey, great news :D

Richard

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:29 pm

europa wrote:
Bluerider wrote:We mere mortals cannot be like Superman everyday !
No but I'd like the variations to be a tad more subtle sometimes :D

Today was a shocker. Normally, five or ten kms under me belt and I'm alive and bursting. Today though, the legs woke up but I had absolutely no upper body strength with the result that my hands took the full brunt of carrying that weight.
Richard
Had the same thing last time I rode (almost 2 weeks ago - damn neck!!). I went out with my husband and we did 15km (3 laps of our normal 5km circuit). I felt terrible. My legs didn't turn properly, my arms felt weird - I felt like I was just learning to ride a bike. Anyway, we had a break as he was feeling a bit rough as it was his first ride since having a very bad cold so he called it a day before he over did it. I told him I would do a couple more laps - this was annoying me!!

Got back on the bike and it was perfect again!! Did 40km in all and could have kept going!!

If it happens again, try getting off, having a bit of a walk and a stretch, then trying again. It worked for me and I was very bouncy when I got home as I didn't give in.

inaminit

Postby inaminit » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:37 pm

Felt the same yesterday morning. Was supposed to go on a group ride leaving at 5:30am so would have had to leave home by 5:10. Woke up at 4:30 got up walked around and could hear my body sobbing "no no no" so I thought discretion was the better part of valour and went back to bed.

Got up agai at 6:00am, felt right as rain, was on the bike at 6:30 and knocked off 53.1km and only just made it back home in time to take my daughter to school.

It was amasing the difference that little bit of extra sleep made.
Anthony
08 Avanti Quantum Team
LeMond Tourmalet
Giant Kronos
Trek 4300 MTB

europa

Postby europa » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:45 pm

Part of my problem might have been that I was in a very, very deep sleep, then my sons says - time to leave Dad, and five minutes later I was on the bike.

Ah, where'd be the fun in every day being perfect?

Richard

europa

Postby europa » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:51 pm

I was going to ride down and meet the lad after school. However, as I type, it has suddenly become very dark, the windows are rattling so much I can hear them above the noise of the wind, there are huge rain drops starting to hit the car port roof and the dog is looking worried :shock:

At this rate, I might be driving down to pick him up 8)

Richard

europa

Postby europa » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:55 pm

Hey Marge, the rains 'ave come, the rains 'ave come.

Should I go out and rescue that old bike I bought yesterday? Yes, I should, but don't want to go out in the weather :roll:

Richard

inaminit

Postby inaminit » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:01 pm

Just donn your wet weather gear, complete with paddington bear rain hat and gum boots :lol: :lol: :lol:
Anthony
08 Avanti Quantum Team
LeMond Tourmalet
Giant Kronos
Trek 4300 MTB

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:06 pm

I can see it now richard, just looking at your avatar, you with the bright yellow hat, pretty little gumboots. Riding along outstretched

CLASSIC! :lol:

Mitch.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKYS. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Until next time...

inaminit

Postby inaminit » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:12 pm

Don't forget the lunch box!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Anthony
08 Avanti Quantum Team
LeMond Tourmalet
Giant Kronos
Trek 4300 MTB

europa

Postby europa » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:13 pm

inaminit wrote:Don't forget the lunch box!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gotta keep my reputation somewhere :wink:

Richard

McPete

Postby McPete » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:26 pm

I'm feeling a bit slow and lethargic at the moment as well... I've been off road riding for reasons I can't actually think of, and I went back to it yesterday. Eeeep. That was just pathetic. Over three Ks I managed to turn myself into a sweaty lump. I had another crack at it today, it was a bit better, but I wasn't carrying the two monolithic text books I normally do, so that may be a factor. It's so unimaginably frustrating, especially the only other guy in my year who rides to school (On a Malvern Star hybrid) is able to keep a fair distance ahead of you...

I think there is a simple answer. More riding.

HyperHorse

Postby HyperHorse » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:13 pm

Sounds like you're suffering from creatine and magnesium defiencies.
GT Outpost, Silver, Medium..
Standard except for Serfas Drifters Road tyres..

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:53 am

europa wrote:Hey, great news :D
you know how it is richard, some days you go back and reread a post one has made and it just doesn't read the same way,, i was looking at my post from yesterday and the last half came across a bit stiff/formal , meh i'll blame it on the three daughters who chirped incessantly yesterday morning!!

/birds chirping /sun coming up

have a good one :)

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:37 pm

I had my regular brekky today...hot chocolate.

Then away i went on my first commute to work today. It is a 36km ride.

I left home to get the train 1.2km from home...normal train doesnt run anymore. So i rode 3km to next station and missed it by 1min.

So i rode all the way as far as i could prevent the New England HWY. Got the train as long as i could avoid the HWY, 1 stop. Got off at Necastle UNI and rode into work.

Total of 25km, nice smooth ride. And i feel great, i am gonna do it again next week too...HOPEFULLY :D

Mitch.

Until next time...

pugsly

Postby pugsly » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:33 am

Whilst fishing for a photo for another thread, I found this one. He's trying to be superman and failing - somedays you don't want to try be superman Richard. :)

europa

Postby europa » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:58 am

ouch :shock:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:16 am

Lucky he wasn't running 120psi
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:54 pm

Was that CF?

Shaun.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:40 am

more likely steel with a rack like that! :wink:

europa

Postby europa » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:45 am

toolonglegs wrote:more likely steel with a rack like that! :wink:
Well spotted on the rack.

What sort of event is that? There's a tape laid out to mark the side of the track. There are spectators. Yet he's running with a rack and not wearing a helmet. It looks like he might have a number on his bac, but it's bigger than you'd normally expect so could be some weird sponsor's thing.

Richard