Repco Appreciation Society

Rob74

Re: Repco Appreciation Society

Postby Rob74 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:17 pm

Re Imwit "70’s is more like it for the ladies bike too"
Probably.

The Green one on Pg124 RAS Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:36 pm is mine, think the earlier & cheaper ones like it had the bolted rear stays.

The Photos were Reposted on Pg126 RAS more recently

Rob

Unfit

Postby Unfit » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:12 pm

choco27 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:31 pm
Got my new tyres put on the bike still a bit of dust and grime to get off but ready to roll

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/Img/Photos/ ... 901279.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/Img/Photos/ ... 901277.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So I have this bike (this post is from December 2013 - took a bit of digging) though not as good a condition. I have rust treated some spots and primed them. going to try colour match-ish those spots or maybe just leave them primed and WD40 for protection and reassemble...

Seat is in good nick. Bar tape I am going to replace with a very similar Cinelli tape. Will try my hand at replacing the brake and shifter cables, have never done that before but we will see.

THE RIMS, though, bloody hell. Covered in rust, spokes horribly so. Any advice for a set of aluminium rims that don't cost the world and look appropriate?

Cheers
Andrew

uart

Postby uart » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:40 am

Unfit wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:12 pm
So I have (same model as) this bike though not as good a condition.

THE RIMS, though, bloody hell. Covered in rust, spokes horribly so. Any advice for a set of aluminium rims that don't cost the world and look appropriate?
Are the wheels not original then Andrew. As far as I can recall all Repco Superlites came with alloy rims, so they should not be rusted.

The spokes however were not stainless on most Superlites, so yeah that will often spoil the wheels.

Unfit

Postby Unfit » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:45 am

uart wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:40 am
Unfit wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:12 pm
So I have (same model as) this bike though not as good a condition.

Are the wheels not original then Andrew. As far as I can recall all Repco Superlites came with alloy rims, so they should not be rusted.

The spokes however were not stainless on most Superlites, so yeah that will often spoil the wheels.
I think you're probably on the money. The rims are ?Alesa made in Belgium. It's mostly the spokes. No idea what I'm doing in that dept but maybe I can learn.

Can I replace the spokes with stainless?

uart

Postby uart » Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:54 pm

Unfit wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:45 am
I think you're probably on the money. The rims are ?Alesa made in Belgium. It's mostly the spokes. No idea what I'm doing in that dept but maybe I can learn.

Can I replace the spokes with stainless?
Yeah those rims should be alloy, they might get a bit of white powdery corrosion but they will usually clean up ok.

The rusted spokes are the real problem, they can be a massive pain. You can replace them all with stainless, but you have to know how to build a wheel, or take it to someone who does.

In the past I have occasionally cleaned up rusted spokes, steel wool and rust converter etc. It's a total pain in the backside job though, and afterwards you have to keep up the maintenance on them of they'll rust again. After clean up you can either paint them or just keep them cleaned and oiled. Like I said, it's a PITA and not always all that successful.

Unfit

Postby Unfit » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:42 pm

Thanks mate. I would definitely need to seek help for that, so we will see. Seems a shame to scrap the whole thing but maybe I could sell the rims themselves cheaply to someone who knows what they are doing and buy a set in better condition for myself

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:48 pm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194317899147?h ... SwMG5hKYlz
1989 Nishiki Olympic
Just like a Repco

sirrombi

Postby sirrombi » Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:48 pm

At the bottom of the centre tube on my Repco Nishiki Tri A there is a decal "Japan". (sorry no pic)
Greg Softley's Decal kit does not include this.
Has anyone been able to source one?
Thanks.

mse

Postby mse » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:35 am

Howdy!
Turns out the rear wheel hub of my Olympic 12 [pink/white as pictured on the previous page] is dead.
Plus there are broken teeth on the 6 speed rear cog and the chain could do with replacement.
That's according to my LBS. Unfortunately, they cannot repair the hub or source a new one.

Any suggestions?
EDIT: I'm in Melbourne
[Hope i have at least some of the bike terminology above correct]

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:50 am

mse wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:35 am
Turns out the rear wheel hub of my Olympic 12 [pink/white as pictured on the previous page] is dead.
Plus there are broken teeth on the 6 speed rear cog and the chain could do with replacement.
That's according to my LBS. Unfortunately, they cannot repair the hub or source a new one.

How is it dead? Possibly it just needs new bearings/grease - not sure how mechanically proficient you are.

The freewheel (where all the sprockets are) could probably be replaced. Not sure what the market is like for replacement freewheels at the moment.

If you're not up for wrenching, a second hand six speed rear wheel should be easy enough to come across.

Most LBS's aren't interested in dealing with vintage stuff. However there are a few (in Melbourne) that do - Abbotsford Cycles, Pedal Cyclery and Mottainai Cycles come to mind.

Basura

Repco Superlite worth trying to fix to casually ride?

Postby Basura » Fri May 27, 2022 10:31 am

Hello everyone,

My father has had a Repco Superlite (has the 3 colours) in storage for some time and I was wondering if it's the kind of bike I can take to a local shop to fix up so I can use it recreationally, or just if it's worth it. I don't really know the first thing about bikes but I've been trying to research as much as I can because I would simply like to ride around to places or workout with it, however, many reviews had me doubting beginner seeming road bikes and advised using a budget beyond what I'm prepared to spend, that's why I considered the old Repco. I hope someone could help clear things and steer me to the best option.

Cheers.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri May 27, 2022 3:05 pm

Welcome, Basura. What condition is the Repco in? Unfortunately a lot of bike shops will scratch their heads at old bikes and probably just try to sell you a new one.

On the flip side, Superlites are fairly rugged and don't take a lot of work to be reliable daily riders. Where are you located? We may be able to recommend a bike shop that speaks vintage.

Basura

Postby Basura » Fri May 27, 2022 5:11 pm

Thanks for your reply P!N20.

From looking at it I think it's mostly fine (I took off one wheel myself in an attempt to work on it), the chain, cassette and spokes are incredibly rusted. Breaks seem to work too. Not sure on the gear shifter and I'm clueless on wheel tubes or anything else that may be important. I live in the northside of Melbourne, Australia.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri May 27, 2022 9:13 pm

Basura wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 5:11 pm
I live in the northside of Melbourne, Australia.
Cool, so do I!

Probably the first thing to work out is if it’s your size. No point putting time and money into it if it’s too big or small. The seatpost shouldn’t be that low, just a tip.

At a minimum new cables/housing and a new chain should get you going. I’m worried when you say the spokes are rusted, that may mean a ‘new’ wheel set, depending on how rusted they are. Can’t see the tyres clearly, but no doubt they’ve perished over time, so will probably need to be replaced.

If you’re up for doing the work yourself you could probably get it up and running for not too much, but probably a bit more if you take it to a bike shop.

Mottainai Cycles is probably your best bet as far as local vintage friendly bike shops are concerned.

Keep us updated on progress.

Edit: The tyres look like Detonators, which probably means they’re not too old, so they should be alright.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:41 pm

Evening, ladies gents and aficionados, I think it's been 8 long years or so since I've posted here, but I need help and guidance from the good guys...

I picked up a kerbside bike this afternoon, a Repco Superlite, quite similar to Basura's (above). Remnants of psycho 3 colour scheme, no wheels but definitely a Superlite, with all the other stuff on the f & f.

Couple of things to inquire about... frame measures 57cm c-to-c on the top tube and only 50cm c-to-c on the seattube, so it's long and low. I don't suppose they made custom sizes so what do you think that's about? I once had a gaspipe Bianchi frame with similar dimensions.

Secondly: when did the Superlite become a lower level frame? This has a seattube sticker saying ''CroMoly tubes' but not stipulating what, and there are lugs on the bottom brackets and top of seattube cluster, nowhere else. Other tubes are mitred and welded (poorly) at head tube junctions etc. Photos when I get around to it.

Friends, give me your knowledge, give me your theories.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:55 pm

rustychisel wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:41 pm
Couple of things to inquire about... frame measures 57cm c-to-c on the top tube and only 50cm c-to-c on the seattube, so it's long and low. I don't suppose they made custom sizes so what do you think that's about? I once had a gaspipe Bianchi frame with similar dimensions.

I don't know anything about Repcos, but that does seem to be a crazy geometry. I've got a track bike from ~'82 which is 54 ST/57 TT, and that's weird enough.

Having a quick look at Repco catalogues from the '80's, the smallest frame size offered is a 53. Are you sure it's a Superlite? Could someone have put Superlite decals on something else? Looking forward to seeing some photos.

elantra

Postby elantra » Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:01 am

rustychisel wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:41 pm

Secondly: when did the Superlite become a lower level frame? This has a seattube sticker saying ''CroMoly tubes' but not stipulating what, and there are lugs on the bottom brackets and top of seattube cluster, nowhere else. Other tubes are mitred and welded (poorly) at head tube junctions etc. Photos when I get around to it.

Friends, give me your knowledge, give me your theories.
Not super sure, but my guess sometime around 1990~ish.
I recall that up until about 1988 the Superlites were finished with nice quality bits, maybe not Superlite quality but durable and presentable quality, mainly alloy.
Of course there were 2 slightly higher spec but nonetheless similar Repco’s. The Eurosport Tri-A and below that the Olympic 12 (which I think became the Olympic 14)
For whatever reason, things must have changed a bit after that.
I have a Repco Vertex which I purchased new in 1988.
Initially I had my reservations about a few things on this bike, such as the lurid 1980’s colour scheme. I spose I was probably spoiled by having seen some Italian bikes with really gorgeous quality colour schemes. But this bike gave me a lot of happy miles over the next 30 yrs.

Then about the time I “retired” the Vertex (due to a small crack forming where it had been damaged in a bad crash years before), I decided that I would take a punt and buy an early 1990’s, well preserved Olympic 12 to “replace” it.
It was immediately apparent that there had been a lot of cost-saving measures in its assembly.
The frame was heavier, the overall paint quality disappointing, and - something that I have never seen before on a classy looking, drop-bar bike - the handlebars were steel and when the bar tape was removed, there was a lot of rust under it !

Quite alarming to see this, the bike was otherwise in good condition. It really demonstrates that steel handlebar is probably not a good idea for a roadbike !

uart

Postby uart » Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:35 am

elantra wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:01 am
and - something that I have never seen before on a classy looking, drop-bar bike - the handlebars were steel and when the bar tape was removed, there was a lot of rust under it !

Quite alarming to see this, the bike was otherwise in good condition. It really demonstrates that steel handlebar is probably not a good idea for a roadbike !
Far from unusual, that was pretty much the norm for mid range gear like the superlite. Steel bars with just a little cosmetic aluminium sleeve in the centre, plain steel spokes instead of stainless, pressed steel chainrings, my 1990/91 model superlite had all of those.

dave_cyclist

Postby dave_cyclist » Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:19 pm

Hi all, I have a chrome moly Repco Superlite May 1988 that has been upgraded with Shimano RS wheels, Shimano Claris Rear Derailleur, Shimano Ultegra chain, Shimano CS-5600 ten speed cassette that I'm guessing is 105? With the 40/52 crankset to the 25/11 cassette I find it goes much faster than my aluminium alloy Pedal Pursuit 2019 and Pedal Pursuit 2.0 2022 with their 34/50 crankset and 28/14 freewheel, has anyone else ridden both these kind of bikes?

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:24 pm

Hi all, forgot I hadn't snapped photy of the Superlite, here it is.

No wheels, picked up as is but cleaned up a little. Paint faded, some scraping, chips. Groupset all Exage 300EX. Confirm size at TT 570mm c-to-c and seattube 510mm. It's a Superlite alright, as you can see. Came from Wheelman Cycles, Darwin.

Rovert

Postby Rovert » Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:21 pm

Last edited by Rovert on Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Rovert

Postby Rovert » Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:22 pm

Last edited by Rovert on Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:44 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Rovert

Postby Rovert » Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:24 pm

Last edited by Rovert on Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rovert

Postby Rovert » Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:28 pm

Last edited by Rovert on Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:31 pm

^^^ Nice one Rovert !
Keep us up to date with the renovation project 8)