der Adler is ALIVE !!!!!

The place for fixies and other rides without gears

der Adler is ALIVE !!!!!

Postby MichaelB » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:37 am

Well, it has finally happened, after taking possession of a tatty Eagle INDI500 way back in late August of this year

The beginning ....

Image


Now, der Adler is born...

Image

Basic specs :
Kuwahara Eagle INDI 500 CrMo Frame (Tange #5 PG tubeset)
Powdercoated in Mother of Pearl
Alex AKR 1.0 700C Rims - 32 Spoke Rear, 28 Spoke Front
Novatech Rear Hub, std front hub
Sachs 175mm Cranks
Shimano 105 Dual Pivot Callipers _ 105 Aero Levers
Hsinlung Handlebars - 390mm C-C
SR Seatpost & Forged Stem
Bomntrager Race Lux saddle
Bontrager Racelite 28C tyres
Gearing - 42/18 (good for a starting point).

Total Cost - $635 (more than expected, but OK

Took it for a very brief ride yesterday. Holy mother of Batman. Had some laughs getting clipped in and then remembering (very quickly) that there is NO coasting or stopping for bumps etc.

Will need to make sure that there arte quiet streets with which to practice prior to going on any bigger rides in traffic.

Will be a great learning exercise.

Many thanks must go to Richrad for his advice, wheel building and help, and Crog for the donation of the stem.
User avatar
MichaelB
 
Posts: 6837
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

by BNA » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:03 am

BNA
 

Postby vee_dub » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:03 am

WooooHooooo...Congrat!!!

Did u leave some skid mark on the ground???
vee_dub
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:40 pm

Postby MichaelB » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:20 am

vee_dub wrote:WooooHooooo...Congrat!!!

Did u leave some skid mark on the ground???


Almost on the seat as I tried to coast a few times to avoid bumps.

Much to learn and switch brain from geared to fixed.


Looking forward to a Sat morning ride to get used to it.

Handledars are probably a bit narrow - some 50mm narrower than the current ones on the LeMond, but she'll be fine :D
User avatar
MichaelB
 
Posts: 6837
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Postby Birdman » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:47 am

Its come up really nice Michael.

Something to be proud of. Now you just have to get used to the fixed gearing.

Mitch.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKYS. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Until next time...
User avatar
Birdman
 
Posts: 1704
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:25 am
Location: Rutherford, Maitland, NSW....god's country

Postby DavidH » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:09 pm

Michael...the bike looks totally awesome. I've been contemplating a similar project and you've got me inspired again.

Looking forward to some updates on how you adjust to the new riding style.
User avatar
DavidH
 
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:54 am
Location: Kaleen, ACT

Postby europa » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:11 pm

Good one mate. She looks a real treat :D

I'm kidless this weekend, do you want to introduce her to the Europa?

The coasting is fun, so are bumps. You get used to it though. Do a few trips in a row on the fixed then, when you jump back on a geared bike, it feels like something's broken (which it is :wink: )

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it
User avatar
europa
 
Posts: 7327
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:51 am
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby MichaelB » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:31 pm

europa wrote:Good one mate. She looks a real treat :D

I'm kidless this weekend, do you want to introduce her to the Europa?

The coasting is fun, so are bumps. You get used to it though. Do a few trips in a row on the fixed then, when you jump back on a geared bike, it feels like something's broken (which it is :wink: )

Richard


Just calculated via Sheldon Brown that the gearing with the current tyres is 62.4 Gear Inches.

Umm, joint ride on the weekend. Maybe a good idea. Thinking of a ride either early Saturday morning (6:30am ish - before too much traffic) or Sunday at 8:00am ish for a while.

I'll give you a call later in the week.
User avatar
MichaelB
 
Posts: 6837
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Postby GaryF » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:11 pm

Congratulations - a really nice and tastful job.

Older track riders loved the narrower bars - you could get through tighter gaps.
User avatar
GaryF
 
Posts: 812
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:38 am
Location: Hervey Bay, Queensland.

Postby europa » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:58 pm

When I climb on the Europa after riding the 'other bike' with the 46cm bars she used to wear before I pulled them off, it feels like I'm trying to steer by grasping the steering tube.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it
User avatar
europa
 
Posts: 7327
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:51 am
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:05 pm

Grats on the build Michael, she's come up a treat.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 26210
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Postby GaryF » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:09 pm

Richard - one of the reasons I look forward to reading the messages is to see what you have to say - I always get a laugh. Great descriptions - I can see you steering with the steerer tube.
User avatar
GaryF
 
Posts: 812
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:38 am
Location: Hervey Bay, Queensland.

Postby europa » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:21 pm

GaryF wrote:Richard - one of the reasons I look forward to reading the messages is to see what you have to say - I always get a laugh. Great descriptions - I can see you steering with the steerer tube.


Thanks mate.
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it
User avatar
europa
 
Posts: 7327
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:51 am
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby MichaelB » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:04 am

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'll have to try and get Richards handlebars off him, so that he can try the steerer tube only. Might solve the problem with the numbness in one hand at least !!!

Double wrapped the handlebars last night and now they fell great !!
User avatar
MichaelB
 
Posts: 6837
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Postby europa » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:31 am

How's this for a suggestion Michael.

Let's go for a ride along the Torrens. Yes, lots of mobile chicanes but that's the downside, not the upside. The upside is that it's a path that wont frustrate you with the low gearing (straight, flat runs will). It also involves a lot of slowing and accelerating. A hour along the linear park and you'll have picked up the new skills on the fixed and be ready to screw on your 16 tooth rear cog and you'd might as well get that on early considering where you live (it's so flat where he lives, rain water just stays put instead of flowing away).

Do you have a rear cog? Worked out what size you want?

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it
User avatar
europa
 
Posts: 7327
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:51 am
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby Bnej » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:39 pm

MichaelB wrote:I'll have to try and get Richards handlebars off him, so that he can try the steerer tube only.


I've tried steering with the stem only before and nearly crashed. It does *not* work like you would expect!
User avatar
Bnej
 
Posts: 2880
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:43 pm
Location: Katoomba, NSW

Postby MichaelB » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:54 pm

Bnej wrote:
MichaelB wrote:I'll have to try and get Richards handlebars off him, so that he can try the steerer tube only.


I've tried steering with the stem only before and nearly crashed. It does *not* work like you would expect!


Also creates an issue of where to mount the brake levers :shock:
User avatar
MichaelB
 
Posts: 6837
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Postby europa » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:16 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Bnej wrote:
MichaelB wrote:I'll have to try and get Richards handlebars off him, so that he can try the steerer tube only.


I've tried steering with the stem only before and nearly crashed. It does *not* work like you would expect!


Also creates an issue of where to mount the brake levers :shock:


It's fixed, you don't need brakes 8)
But they come in very useful if you can't find a soft enough tree to run into :shock:

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it
User avatar
europa
 
Posts: 7327
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:51 am
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby film » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:01 am

looking good!!! who did the powder coat?

been lurking around here for a while, thought id jump in here and say whats up to some fellow adelaide fixers.

Jake
film
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:58 am

Postby MichaelB » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:23 am

Delway Brass did the powdercoat for $85. That was for the Mother of Pearl + clear coat.

Job was not bad, could have been a bit better, but overall it is OK.
User avatar
MichaelB
 
Posts: 6837
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Postby europa » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:15 am

G'day Jake,

Welcome to the nuthouse. Another fixed rider? Start a thread and tell us about yours. You can't post piccies just yet but pm me the links and I'll put them up for you (resized to 640x280 please).

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it
User avatar
europa
 
Posts: 7327
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:51 am
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby darkpromenade » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:13 pm

MichaelB, what exactly were you dissapointed with about the powder-coating? I'm thinking of getting my frame painted or powder-coated and would like to hear your experience.
darkpromenade
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:34 am
Location: Adelaide

Postby europa » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:32 pm

Warning - Michael is one of nature's perfectionists :wink:
In a nice way but ...

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it
User avatar
europa
 
Posts: 7327
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:51 am
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby MichaelB » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:41 pm

darkpromenade wrote:MichaelB, what exactly were you dissapointed with about the powder-coating? I'm thinking of getting my frame painted or powder-coated and would like to hear your experience.


The coating thickness on some of the edges of the lugs is a bit thin, but it is pretty minor. Some of the other places wanted $150 for 2 coats, so $85 is pretty good. They masked it pretty well, so no dramas there.
User avatar
MichaelB
 
Posts: 6837
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Postby film » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:06 pm

europa wrote:G'day Jake,

Welcome to the nuthouse. Another fixed rider? Start a thread and tell us about yours. You can't post piccies just yet but pm me the links and I'll put them up for you (resized to 640x280 please).

Richard


Cheers mate. i'l get some pics together and post in the pics thread soon. shes an old converted roadie. steel is real, right?! hehe

its a disease i tell ya. saw an old Super Elliott frame while i was doing the rounds today. might be time for a second conversion.
film
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:58 am

Postby darkpromenade » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:20 pm

MichaelB wrote:
darkpromenade wrote:MichaelB, what exactly were you dissapointed with about the powder-coating? I'm thinking of getting my frame painted or powder-coated and would like to hear your experience.


The coating thickness on some of the edges of the lugs is a bit thin, but it is pretty minor. Some of the other places wanted $150 for 2 coats, so $85 is pretty good. They masked it pretty well, so no dramas there.


$85 seems very reasonable. Did you have a good choice of colours and/or can they colour-match for you? I know you ended up going with white but I'd like to match my existing frame colour if I can.
darkpromenade
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:34 am
Location: Adelaide

Next

Return to Fixed Gear/ Single Speed

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


PM Issues
Known Bug - error message displayed when sending PM's caused by tapatalk. Read more


Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit