Parramatta river cycle way

AndrewCowley

Re: Parramatta river cycle way

Postby AndrewCowley » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:31 am

Seriously, I agree that this sort of project smacks of picking low hanging fruit whilst ignoring other more important priorities.

roberto73

Postby roberto73 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:24 am

Re the McKell report, it proposes a loop around the Botanical Gardens. That would be good, save the Rangers chasing cyclists using the foreshore path between Opera House and Mrs Maqs point. Could be some resistance to this from the Garden Trust, as they dont seem to like cyclists.

I support the Greenway around Blackwattle Bay, and reopening the old Glebe Is Bridge, but also it would be good to widen the shared path around the Glebe foreshore. Expect resistance from Glebe dog owners, but it is an ideal flat route between Annandale and Wentworth Park/Ultimo and the new Fishmarket.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:29 am

The new cycleway underpass that will go under Macarthur St at Parramatta looks like it won't be too far from being completed.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:47 am

This morning I noticed they've added a very short "bypass" at the small playground just west of Rydalmere wharf. I'd seen some work going on there the past few weeks but didn't really pay attention to what it was - I just assumed it was something to do with the playground. So it's a straight section that joins the original path at the more recent car park bypass section intersection - cutting out the sharp corner next to the playground. Not a major improvement in the scheme of things, but I guess every little bit helps.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:16 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:29 am
The new cycleway underpass that will go under Macarthur St at Parramatta looks like it won't be too far from being completed.
I saw that too - looks excellent, really, really good.

caneye

Postby caneye » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:46 am

not finished yet. Hopefully before Feb??

caneye

Postby caneye » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:49 am

g-boaf wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:34 am
A new section? What was the need for this new section? I didn't think the old one was a problem and didn't have any issues with pedestrians along there in all the times I rode through there before this was built.

Seems like a waste of money that could have been better spent to expanding the cycleway further elsewhere.
I rode on that section for the first time this past weekend and had the same thoughts.
Why?
Was it really needed?
Has there been many accidents on that stretch?
I cannot imagine so. You have very clear line of sight.

A lot of work and council rates $$$ have gone into it .. for what seemed to be very minimal benefit, if any?

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:28 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:47 am
This morning I noticed they've added a very short "bypass" at the small playground just west of Rydalmere wharf. I'd seen some work going on there the past few weeks but didn't really pay attention to what it was - I just assumed it was something to do with the playground. So it's a straight section that joins the original path at the more recent car park bypass section intersection - cutting out the sharp corner next to the playground. Not a major improvement in the scheme of things, but I guess every little bit helps.
Rode the cycleway again today and realised the short bypass near the wharf is for pedestrians only, presumably to avoid collisions on that sharp corner near the playground

tez001

Postby tez001 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:37 am

I dont think that section was needed at all. From what I have seen, it's fairly well behaved around that section.

I believe it just creates another danger point. If you are riding or walking from the ferry wharf, you need to keep your eyes peeled for cyclists to the right (from the new path) or pedestrians on the left.

If you are riding on the new section west you need to make a sharp turn right on to the existing path and keep en eye for pedestrians on the left and the new section.

It just doesnt flow nicely in my opinion.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:39 am

Retrobyte wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:28 pm
Retrobyte wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:47 am
Rode the cycleway again today and realised the short bypass near the wharf is for pedestrians only, presumably to avoid collisions on that sharp corner near the playground
I never noticed any issues there, the new part was a waste of money I think.

Improvements like the new section from the ferry wharf are good, those are worthwhile.

caneye

Postby caneye » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:55 pm

It is now March. Does anyone know if the new section opposite the Parramatta ferry wharf has opened?
Last edited by caneye on Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:24 pm

Rode past 2 days ago and it's not opened yet.

Maybe within 2 months or earlier or later???
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:01 am

Bunged Knee wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:24 pm
Rode past 2 days ago and it's not opened yet.

Maybe within 2 months or earlier or later???
Probably to remain closed until a local politician or council person can announce it winning big political kudos...

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:56 am

According to a Bikenorth post in on Wednesday 3 March
John Whitton Bridge – still no reopen date
But repair works are progressing. I was advised this afternoon by Crown Lands (the NSW Govt sub -department responsible for the bridge) that all Ausgrid cable repairs had been completed, and that Crown Lands contractors had sourced the necessary replacement decking with work to start this week. But at the moment there is still no expected reopening date. And neither is it known how the fire that damaged the bridge deck was started. Apparently there was no obvious evidence of arson, and Ausgrid say it wasn’t caused by a fault in their cable system.
Crown lands are probably immune to public pressure, but I would suggest contacting councils, members or ministers, especially if you are active on social media
No idea who the correct minister is. According to their website "The Department of Planning, Industry and Environment has four Ministers with responsibility for various aspects of its activities." I'm guessing its either Stokes or Pavey. Stokes seems to be reasonable. I used to have a high opinion of Pavey, but was extremely disappointed in her performance as minister for roads
Anything you can do, I can do slower

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:52 pm

Have they provided a suitable alternative while the repairs are happening?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:40 pm

mikesbytes wrote: Have they provided a suitable alternative while the repairs are happening?

Alternative route as shown from BikeNorth website. https://www.bikenorth.org.au/2021/01/27 ... %9F%94%A5/

ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:42 pm

Parramatta weir had been flooded today, check the video in this news link.
Can't embedded it.

https://www.9news.com.au/videos/weather ... r1nylyfvqg

And overhead view from Paul Hart's twitter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/pauLFChart/s ... frame.html

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:14 pm

Might be a while yet before the new bit is opened, just when it was almost done :(

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:51 pm

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:14 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Official opening 1 April. If the water subsides by then.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:46 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Retrobyte wrote:
Official opening 1 April. If the water subsides by then.
Thought it was a joke..... :D

But you are correct of the date.

More info from https://www.cityofparramatta.nsw.gov.au ... -boardwalk

JPB

Postby JPB » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:10 pm

It is open, and very busy

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:30 am

JPB wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:10 pm
Amazing, finally open:

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:12 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:30 am
JPB wrote:
Amazing, finally open:

and seemed like it took about a couple of minutes for people to make strava segments all over it :roll: I guess if it is not on strava ....

Seriously though, it is a massive improvement. Have to be careful though heading city bound where it joins the old downhill run. People still coming down there can be doing serious speed

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:21 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:30 am
JPB wrote:
Amazing, finally open:

Any damage from the recent flooding?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?