Postby LG » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:31 pm

Very nice indeed
LG = Low Gear

stevenaaus

Re: Peugeot Appreciation Society

Postby stevenaaus » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:25 pm

frog wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:01 pm

Thanks! The tyres are pretty much semislicks so they still work pretty well around town with the ability to hit the dirt a bit as well.
Is that stem some sort of suspension?
I had a hurricane... But fell in love with roadies, so had to move it on regretfully. The quality of the tube brazing was just amazing.

frog

Postby frog » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:03 am

stevenaaus wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:25 pm
Is that stem some sort of suspension?
I had a hurricane... But fell in love with roadies, so had to move it on regretfully. The quality of the tube brazing was just amazing.
Yes it's a Girvin flex stem and it's somewhat gimmicky. It's just an elastomer spring and a single pivot. it does take the sting out of small bumps.
I flip between loving road bikes and mountain - bit more biased towards MTB at the present.
I have another Peugeot road frame that has been a project for about 2 years. Cant decide if I want to go period campy Athena or a neo-retro build. I don't have a road bike apart from the PX10 at the moment so I'm tempted to do something with brifters.

tredlie

Postby tredlie » Sat May 22, 2021 3:21 pm

In contrast to all the beutiful Peugeots here. My sad 1978? bike, i think it was $170 when new back then, my first 10-speed. I know its entry level and past its chance to be restored, but for sentimental reasons i was thinking of sanding and repainting and salvaging what i can, perhaps frame, forks, stem, bars, chainwheel and cranks? Might even convert to SS with new wheels ( sorry if thats blasphemy here). Wondering if anyone knows how to decide when rust is structural vs surface? Just start sanding? Dont want to create a bike that kills me.

Ok looks like i failed sharing those photos. I highlighted the link and hit the Img button. Is there a trick here?

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Sun May 23, 2021 2:09 pm

I don’t know why your images didn’t work but copying the address let me see them.. maybe there is a trick with Google images?

I reckon that bike was a bit above entry level but the rust looks pretty serious. I reckon you could save some of the bits but I’m not sure about the frame.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Sun May 23, 2021 3:21 pm

tredlie wrote: In contrast to all the beutiful Peugeots here. My sad 1978? bike, i think it was $170 when new back then, my first 10-speed. I know its entry level and past its chance to be restored, but for sentimental reasons i was thinking of sanding and repainting and salvaging what i can, perhaps frame, forks, stem, bars, chainwheel and cranks? Might even convert to SS with new wheels ( sorry if thats blasphemy here). Wondering if anyone knows how to decide when rust is structural vs surface? Just start sanding? Dont want to create a bike that kills me.

Ok looks like i failed sharing those photos. I highlighted the link and hit the Img button. Is there a trick here?

In "img", use "url" and you'd see pics.

ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

tredlie

Postby tredlie » Sun May 23, 2021 10:13 pm

Imwit wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 2:09 pm
I don’t know why your images didn’t work but copying the address let me see them.. maybe there is a trick with Google images?

I reckon that bike was a bit above entry level but the rust looks pretty serious. I reckon you could save some of the bits but I’m not sure about the frame.
Thanks Imwit for your thoughts. Will see what happens at least maybe i can save some parts.

tredlie

Postby tredlie » Sun May 23, 2021 10:23 pm

Thanks Bunged Knee for reposting my photos correctly!

Roisin79

Postby Roisin79 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:45 pm

The things you see...was coming out of a public toilet here in Melbourne, and there was propped a Peugeot, upturned bars like the older man prefers..closer look revealed 531 decals, Simplex dropouts, Stronglight cranks, Mafac centrepulls, beautiful Cherry red - unmarked but with a lovely patina. Couldn't believe it, I got talking with the bloke, still inside the cramped toilet block, an elderly Italian chap who said he'd owned since arriving in the country, and who had recently been offered $100 for it!! I tried to convince him it was top shelf, mentioning it is perhaps a PX10 but to him it was just a way to keep fit...sorry now I didn't take a pic, I'm not really of that generation that does that

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:24 pm

Roisin79 wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:45 pm
who had recently been offered $100 for it!!

You should have offered $200 - he could have doubled his money!

Reminds me of when I spotted a Llewelyn propped outside a public toilet. Thought I'd keep an eye on it while the owner was otherwise engaged - when he came out he thought I was stealing it! Anyway then we got chatting and it was all good.

uart

Postby uart » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:40 pm

Roisin79 wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:45 pm
...sorry now I didn't take a pic, I'm not really of that generation that does that
Not to worry, I got into trouble last time I took pics in a public toilet. :wink:

TopSide

Postby TopSide » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:31 pm

Halfamillion wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:09 pm
Hi! I been happily riding my Peugeot PBN10 during Covid-19 and worn out another chain and set of tires (e.g many Kms around the Nepean River and Regatta Centre). A friend told me and showed two photos of Peugeot framesets he has in the shed. I have identified them as Peugeot PX50 Randonneurs 58cm, one has chrome forks tips, both same green, decals are the same and match 1977 brochure. Bottom Bracket details are as follows:
1. RY A5 Serial #1811027 (Note 7 digits, 1970s?)
2. RY D5 Serial#194660 (Note six digits, maybe 1960s???)
They both have some surface rust and paint damage but generally look recoverable.

I've been thinking why someone would have two near identical PX50 frames dated from the 1970's. I can only think these may have been ridden in Europe and returned to Australia as Frame & Fork only to avoid import tariffs? This maybe a way of transporting a Trekking bicycle to and from Australia while avoiding the Tariffs then applied. I'm still to get a hands on look and check threads etc to assess rebuild options? Any expert advice on this model would be appreciated.
Hi. I know this is a little old, but I just found out something about Peugeot bicycles from France.

RY A5 and RY D5 are date codes.

RY is for the Peugeot factory at Romilly-sur-Seine.
A and D are month codes for January and April.
5 is the year 1975, as the year of frame manufacture.

This type of Peugeot data code only existed for the Romilly factory from its beginning until early 1976.

I am thinking that the RY D5 bicycle should also have a seven digit serial number.

Anyway I found it interesting to see the date codes on the PX50s

80's Rider

Postby 80's Rider » Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:05 am

Some glorious bikes posted here. Thank you for the inspiration.
I bought mine in 2019. Not so flash, I think this is a PRN-10? From 1978?
Original RD?
Original rims?
The seller kindly threw in this matching bell.
It weighs in at just over 15 kgs!! But I love it.

Vanos

Postby Vanos » Tue May 17, 2022 1:19 pm

Hi Guys,
I just scored a Peugeot Mont Blanc. Not sure of the year but I think it's the late 80s. I want replace the crankset with a spare campy crank that I got laying around but don't know whether the frame is french threaded or BSA to get the right bottom bracket for it.

https://imgur.com/gallery/cra1S2O

Would be appreciated if someone can tell me.

Cheers

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue May 17, 2022 1:29 pm

Any sizes indicated on the cups? If not, you'll probably have to remove the drive side fixed cup - if it comes out clockwise it's British, if it comes out anti-clockwise it's French...or Italian.

Edit: the internet seems to indicate it has a British thread, but I'm wondering if there were different threadings for different years/markets: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vint ... blanc.html

Vanos

Postby Vanos » Tue May 17, 2022 3:19 pm

P!N20 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 1:29 pm
Any sizes indicated on the cups? If not, you'll probably have to remove the drive side fixed cup - if it comes out clockwise it's British, if it comes out anti-clockwise it's French...or Italian.

Edit: the internet seems to indicate it has a British thread, but I'm wondering if there were different threadings for different years/markets: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vint ... blanc.html
Hey thanks. That frame/bike in the link is exactly like mine with the same color as well. So it's BSA. So glad it's not French/ITA as BB for those are hard to find.

Cheers.

Halfamillion

Postby Halfamillion » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:31 pm

I just saw some older Peugeot branded Birdy 1 folding bikes on Ebay for about $2000 each. Didn't know they sold these bikes? Would they be the German built Birdy 1 or the Taiwan built Birdy 1! Current Birdy 3 are expensive being about $3000-7000 approx for the Rolloff version.

Cheers!

P.S. They are Peugeot Pacific folders, probably made in Taiwan for the European market? They are designed by Riese & Müller and could be built by Riese & Müller in Germany?
Last edited by Halfamillion on Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peugeot PBN10, Cell Victor 2, Graycross Special 27", Merida Mission 2000, Trek 4900, Cell Stinger.

Halfamillion

Postby Halfamillion » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:31 pm

Hi. I know this is a little old, but I just found out something about Peugeot bicycles from France.

RY A5 and RY D5 are date codes.

RY is for the Peugeot factory at Romilly-sur-Seine.
A and D are month codes for January and April.
5 is the year 1975, as the year of frame manufacture.

This type of Peugeot data code only existed for the Romilly factory from its beginning until early 1976.

I am thinking that the RY D5 bicycle should also have a seven digit serial number.

Anyway I found it interesting to see the date codes on the PX50s
[/quote]

Hey Thanks,
I've passed this information on to the owner.

Cheers
Peugeot PBN10, Cell Victor 2, Graycross Special 27", Merida Mission 2000, Trek 4900, Cell Stinger.

pedallymat

Re: Peugeot Appreciation Society - SF10

Postby pedallymat » Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:19 am

l am looking at this post with an excellent fix of an old peugeot sf10. I have a bike very similar and the bottom bracket has some freeplay, and I would like a longer stem so I fit the bike better. I would like to get the bottom bracket awesomer, so my plan is to tuck in to it and repack the balls/put in new balls. If it is cactus though, I expect I might have to change the bottom bracket out. I see that Bendo (op) has managed to change the whole thing - the cranks and gears are shimano. ( you can probably tell the bicycle is not my first language..). My bike has cotter pins holding the cranks on to the bottom bracket as per the pics.

I just got back from my local bike shop, and I could swear that the bike guy there just told me the bottom bracket is french-threaded and cannot be modernised. But in the OP is, what looks to me, proof that indeed I might be able to put a new bottom bracket and crankset on the bike (provided my bike is the same).

Is that correct?

How can I know if my bike is the same? It looks similar... link to pics of the bike

also, how about the quill/stem? do I need to find a vintage one that is the size for me, or can I find a new one?

https://imgur.com/a/rWvN3l7

I appreciate any help,

Bendo wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:31 pm
Recently bought this for my daughter. It was a little rusty but very complete. Says "made in Australia". Those were the days!

Image[/url]Peugeot SF10 by nanseikan kendo, on Flickr[/img]

But it had two issues: the rear light was broken and the gearing was massive (52-42 and about 19 or 21t on the back). I couldn't change the freewheel because French threaded Maillard and the crankset was a one piece jobbie. I racked my brains for quite a bit on this one.

Interestingly the Normandy rear hub is a flip-flop hub, with a British thread on the other side. But it would mean re-dishing a wheel that's got lots of old steel spokes and a likely single-wall rim. Not worth it since the whole bike cost me $80 to start with.

ImagePeugeot SF10 by nanseikan kendo, on Flickr[/img]

Eventually I found an excellent Shimano touring triple, not quite period correct but it meant I could put a chain-guard on the big ring and still had a 39t and 28t on the front: excellent for my 'hood which has some pretty mega hills. I had been running a 'spare' TA Pro 5 vis triple with vintage lightweight Lyotard touring pedals. These were more period correct but massively overspec. The TA crankset alone was probably worth three of these bikes! They ahve gone back into my "very special parts vault"!

ImagePeugeot SF10 by nanseikan kendo, on Flickr

A clean and polish did wonders. Also, I had some excellent Weinmann city levers (v hard to come by now) to replace the terrible plastic Mafac levers that were crumbling off the bike. The Shimano front hub (non original I think) came up a treat as well. I just love high flange hubs!

ImagePeugeot SF10 by nanseikan kendo, on Flickr

Finally, I found a similar Peugeot mixte on gumtree that had been underwater for the last 20 years, but it had a complete rear light. Sure enough, with the globe inserted and the lens back on, it all worked perfectly! I'm still irrationally happy about this! I have another bike, a tourer with Son 28 dynamo hub and a Schmidt Edelux headlight, so I was expecting the output to be pitiful. But I was quite amazed how bright both the head and tail lights are. More than bright enough to show up in modern traffic. And there are conversion kits to replace the globes in these old systems with LEDs that will still work with the 3V bottle dynamos. So the future looks bright for this bike! hurhur! :D

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:07 am

pedallymat wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:19 am
l am looking at this post with an excellent fix of an old peugeot sf10. I have a bike very similar and the bottom bracket has some freeplay, and I would like a longer stem so I fit the bike better. I would like to get the bottom bracket awesomer, so my plan is to tuck in to it and repack the balls/put in new balls. If it is cactus though, I expect I might have to change the bottom bracket out. I see that Bendo (op) has managed to change the whole thing - the cranks and gears are shimano. ( you can probably tell the bicycle is not my first language..). My bike has cotter pins holding the cranks on to the bottom bracket as per the pics.

I just got back from my local bike shop, and I could swear that the bike guy there just told me the bottom bracket is french-threaded and cannot be modernised. But in the OP is, what looks to me, proof that indeed I might be able to put a new bottom bracket and crankset on the bike (provided my bike is the same).

Is that correct?

How can I know if my bike is the same? It looks similar... link to pics of the bike

also, how about the quill/stem? do I need to find a vintage one that is the size for me, or can I find a new one?

https://imgur.com/a/rWvN3l7

I appreciate any help,
Welcome outside
Anything you can do, I can do slower

uart

Postby uart » Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:26 am

pedallymat wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:19 am

If that's an Australian made frame then it's very likely that the BB is not French threaded. It was probably made by CBC (custom built cycles) in Adelaide, as that was the last remaining factory building bikes in quantity in Australia in the 70's.

Read Clydesdale Scot's reply to my query about a 70's Aussie built CBC bike here : https://m.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=99078
Note that it says they also built bikes for various OEMs, so if Peugeot wanted an Australian made frame it's pretty likely that's who they would have gone to.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:16 pm

Never say never, but that's the first I've ever heard of Peugeots being built by anyone other than Cycles Australia at Geebung (the sticker shown on this frame). Cycles Australia were building Peugeots (and their own stable of brands) at their Geebung factory until 1982.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

uart

Postby uart » Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:45 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:16 pm
Never say never, but that's the first I've ever heard of Peugeots being built by anyone other than Cycles Australia at Geebung (the sticker shown on this frame). Cycles Australia were building Peugeots (and their own stable of brands) at their Geebung factory until 1982.
Oh yes, you're 100% correct LDR, it would have been made at Geebung (I saw that sticker but thought it was just the distributor). I was thinking CBC Adelaide as they were the last bicycle factory to close in Australia, but I didn't realise that manufacturing at Geebung also continued to as late as the '80s. Thanks for the correction.

https://veloaficionado.com/blog/the-hum ... ocal-cycle
"Guthrie Bicycles were located in Haywood Street at Stafford from the early Seventies to 1977. Guthrie Bicycles produced bicycles under the name of Guthrie, Ashby, Local and one other, but the name escapes me. The Bicycle business was doing well, however the parent company decided to discontinue with Bicycle Manufacture in Australia. The Business was sold off and it then traded as Cycles Australia Pty Ltd. Cycles Australia moved the business to Robinson Road at Geebung where the manufacturing floor space was much larger. The Guthrie name was dropped and the Madison brand introduced to the Australian market. Cycles Australia went on to produce Peugeot Bicycles under licence. Like all Australian bicycle Manufacturers of the time, Cycles Australia was unable to compete with imported product from Japan. Cycles Australia would eventually close around 1982