Canterbury Velodrome

martin08

Canterbury Velodrome

Postby martin08 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:01 pm

I've just put together an old track bike and thought it would be nice to spend a couple of these lovely summer evenings taking it around canterbury velodrome at Tempe which is just down the road but I can't find any info on the internet or council websites and the couple of times
i've called round it was closed up. Does anyone know if they do public sessions where you can just ride without racing, cheers, M

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:46 pm

It's on tonight (Wednesday) at 6.30pm. Why don't you drop by and have a chat. It's also known as Tempe Velodrome.

Check out http://www.dhbc.org.au/index.php?pr=Track
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:58 pm

Mon and Wed evenings and train with DHBC. Mike and myself are both members.

http://www.dhbc.org.au/

http://www.dhbc.org.au/index.php?pr=Track

I also understand a cycling license is required to use the track. Mike can correct me on this one.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:43 pm

You need a ride-it license, but not a full racing license

martin08

Canterbury Velodrome

Postby martin08 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:49 pm

Thanks guys, I'll get down soon as I get tyres, I'm in Petersham so should really get along to DHCC too, can I ask one more dumb question? How do I get a ride it license? Regards and thanks again, M

martin08

canterbury Velodrome

Postby martin08 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:51 pm

Sorry, Shoulda clicked the link before asking said question, Cheers, M

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:54 pm

Have a chat with Lindsay, our club secretary for all regulatory and technical issue. Look forward to seeing you on one of our group rides too. :D
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Wollemi

Canterbury Velodrome

Postby Wollemi » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:28 pm

Is Tempe Velodrome (Canterbury Velodrome) accessible at any time to the public? I have some business in Newtown tomorrow morning - can I randomly jump on the velodrome at any time with my fixie?

Similarly for indoor Dunc Gray velodrome at Bass Hill - can one turn up and pay a fee to use it just for fun, without having to join a club?

Any other velodromes across Sydney with public access?
What's Hurstville like? From the wikipedia photo, it appears to be not very banked. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurstvill ... Oval_4.jpg
Live every day as though it is your last - one day you will be right...

Derny Driver

Re: Canterbury Velodrome

Postby Derny Driver » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:50 pm

Wollemi wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:28 pm
Is Tempe Velodrome (Canterbury Velodrome) accessible at any time to the public?
Canterbury velodrome was closed down in 1937. It was in Charles street.
Tempe velodrome is just north of the old site.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:04 am

The official name for Tempe Velodrome is Canterbury Velodrome. Technically its inside Canterbury Council (pre merger name) but is opposite Tempe train station hence everyone calls it Tempe Velodrome. It is fenced off, you can't use it when no one is there. Tonight DHBC has a training session there, you need a license, I'm not sure if you can get a day license. You would be able to use your fixie if you take the brakes off and your fixie has drop bars. Check with DHBC for details.

Hurstville which you have a photo of is also fenced off. I think St George club run a session on Tuesday night

There's also Lidcome oval which LACC run session's on

Wollemi

Postby Wollemi » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:39 am

mikesbytes wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:04 am
The official name for Tempe Velodrome is Canterbury Velodrome. Technically its inside Canterbury Council (pre merger name) but is opposite Tempe train station hence everyone calls it Tempe Velodrome. It is fenced off, you can't use it when no one is there. Tonight DHBC has a training session there, you need a license, I'm not sure if you can get a day license. You would be able to use your fixie if you take the brakes off and your fixie has drop bars. Check with DHBC for details.

Hurstville which you have a photo of is also fenced off. I think St George club run a session on Tuesday night

Thank you for the considered response.
I saw for myself early on Monday morning that the facility is indeed locked up with no public access.

My fixed-gear bicycle has bull-horn handlebars, and two handbrakes, so I would not be allowed. And I live nowhere near the place, but have been past many times without realising it, when casually cycling South Strathfield to Botany Bay and return, or recreational kayaking with the River Canoe Club.

I feel that the velodrome could promote cycling better with photographic billboards outside - there is very little to see what the facility is from ground level outside, except for a small contemporary sign at Bayview Ave pointing to 'Canterbury Velodrome'.

A faded and vandalised plaque tells the reader that the 'Waterford Park Cycle Velodrome' was commenced construction in August 1980.
Live every day as though it is your last - one day you will be right...

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:00 pm

Wollemi wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:39 am
mikesbytes wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:04 am

Thank you for the considered response.
I saw for myself early on Monday morning that the facility is indeed locked up with no public access.

My fixed-gear bicycle has bull-horn handlebars, and two handbrakes, so I would not be allowed. And I live nowhere near the place, but have been past many times without realising it, when casually cycling South Strathfield to Botany Bay and return, or recreational kayaking with the River Canoe Club.

I feel that the velodrome could promote cycling better with photographic billboards outside - there is very little to see what the facility is from ground level outside, except for a small contemporary sign at Bayview Ave pointing to 'Canterbury Velodrome'.

A faded and vandalised plaque tells the reader that the 'Waterford Park Cycle Velodrome' was commenced construction in August 1980.

This is a sore point with me here in QLD. You never see any "billboard" advertising outside on the Annadome or anywhere else for that matter. :evil:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:09 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:00 pm
This is a sore point with me here in QLD. You never see any "billboard" advertising outside on the Annadome or anywhere else for that matter. :evil:

Foo
I thought after your recent win they were going to rename it the foodome :mrgreen: any videos of you doing a box jump?
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Grog

Postby Grog » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:00 am

Used to ride around Hurstville velodrome after school with mates back in late 70s
Back then it wasn't restricted access and outside cycling events was only lightly used by locals.
How times change.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:35 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:09 pm
foo on patrol wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:00 pm

Foo
I thought after your recent win they were going to rename it the foodome :mrgreen: any videos of you doing a box jump?

:lol: :lol: I will see if I can find the stating gate for you. :)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km