no power

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
jules21

no power

Postby jules21 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:51 pm

i can't make any power on the bike right now - like getting overtaken by pensioners no power. it's a weird feeling - i don't feel nauseous or sick, i just have low energy. i can carry on my day normally enough (sitting in an office), but i have been sleeping more than usual and i also have aching hamstrings(!) i'm sure i must have a bug of some kind. i know i should go to the doc but i usually just get generic advice for these kinds of seemingly minor ailments.

ni78ck

Re: no power

Postby ni78ck » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:37 pm

jules21 wrote:i can't make any power on the bike right now - like getting overtaken by pensioners no power. it's a weird feeling - i don't feel nauseous or sick, i just have low energy. i can carry on my day normally enough (sitting in an office), but i have been sleeping more than usual and i also have aching hamstrings(!) i'm sure i must have a bug of some kind. i know i should go to the doc but i usually just get generic advice for these kinds of seemingly minor ailments.
i felt the same yesturday. i spent the day in bed and today i feel great, ready to smash it on the bike tomorrow! :)
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

toolonglegs

no power

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:46 pm

Big weekends riding?, dieting too hard?, not enough recovery?.
Hamstring aching?... Where abouts?... You been stretching them out lately?.

My question is why walking up 2 flights of stairs leaves me puffed but climbing 1000 meters sur vélo the same day is easy (ish) :-) .

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:51 pm

jules21 wrote:i can't make any power on the bike right now - like getting overtaken by pensioners no power. it's a weird feeling - i don't feel nauseous or sick, i just have low energy.
You know what it is Jules. Over training and over racing. You have been hitting it lately. Take a month off, stick to recovery commuting and then hit it again next month. You need to plateau/consolidate, not always improve.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:07 pm

yes i have been hitting it a fair bit more than usual lately, so i'm guessin that's contributed. but i can't believe how stuffed i am. can't wait to feel better - but it's taking longer than 1 day, that's for sure :x
toolonglegs wrote:Hamstring aching?... Where abouts?... You been stretching them out lately?.

My question is why walking up 2 flights of stairs leaves me puffed but climbing 1000 meters sur vélo the same day is easy (ish) :-) .
upper hammies are sore - the left does get tight occasionally and i can stretch it out, but this feels more like general soreness, which seems different.

the stairs thing is just a cycling thing i reckon - i also get that following commuters out of the city loop in Melb. i'm thinking "i'm certain that i would slaughter that random person on a bike but they're pulling away from me on the stairs!"

toolonglegs

no power

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:17 pm

I don't abide by the 1 quiet week off in 3 or 4 but you do have to reduce it a bit every so often, hopefully fatigue instead of a virus.
Lately I have become a bit anal about keeping away from other peoples germs. Big goal week starting 6 may ( 3 day stage race then departmental champs 4 days later ) ... Be seriously pee'd if I get sick now!.

m@

Postby m@ » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:35 pm

There have been a few viruses going around here lately with similar symptoms - zero energy and lethargic for a few days then a slow recovery. With the rapidly changing daylight hours and daylight savings ending, SAD/vitamin d deficiency is also pretty common at this time of year and can have an effect on your energy levels.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

grantw

Postby grantw » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:59 pm

I have the same problem, all over the easter weekend I was feeling progressively weaker and tired-er. I put that down to punching into some headwinds on friday and a bit of climbing on saturday, staying up late to watch Paris-Roubaix on Sunday, but my ride on monday was a grovel and so far this week I've been going to bed early and struggling to get up in the morning. Today I dragged myself out of bed and just felt smashed, I ache all over, can't get warm and the brain has turned to mush. I was planning to be ride a 200 this saturday but I'm not liking my chances.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:52 pm

Felt completely powerless on my commute this morning but I think it was due to the cold because I hadn't ridden in over a week. Seemed fine this afternoon when I was warmer though, got a new PB commuting home and put in a few hard out-of-saddle efforts.

newie

Postby newie » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:21 pm

Low iron? I periodically get patches of low energy. Recently thanks to some blood tests for unrelated reasons I found out I was a bit low. Now I make sure I have red meat at least a couple of times a week and plenty of green salads and don't seem to get the flat patches any more.

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:19 am

I get like that after what I think of as "apex rides". Those are the big ones that come after a period of preparation for them. I would put any ride of 150 km or more in that category, or a combined exercise day of 5-6 hours or more.
I have learned that I need a recovery period after that degree of exertion. I have not yet worked out exactly what the best formula is for that yet, still working on that, but i do know that if I keep training as usual, I don't achieve much.
You have officially become your parents.

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:59 pm

low seratonin levels. How's your mood?

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:37 am

... so you are run down then. Take a break and get well soon.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:04 am

I did a ~100k ride every day over easter. One of them in particular was really hard, with lots of hills and accompanying a cycling animal.
Since, I've felt like my energy has been down. Planned to do a big ride Sat but it got washed out, then same yesterday. Spent all of yesterday pretty much in bed. First time in years. sleeping reading watching a movie. Have also been eating too much crap food for a week (sausage, cheese, jatz biscuits, too much bread, all instead of heaps of salad and vege). Need to get it back under control.