Aldi Specials

Andy01

Re: Aldi Specials

Postby Andy01 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:01 am

timbo wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:56 pm
Thanks to Sydney's constant rain, I was looking at Aldi's chain cleaning kit, as advertised in a recent catalogue of cycling items. Three Aldi stores I visited had no cycling products at all. I didn't bother buying anything else in store. Seriously, Aldi has to do more than say some stores may be experiencing delays. I normally never buy from Aldi, and I doubt that I will bother buying from Aldi again.
I don't think I have ever seen an Aldi Special Buy going on sale BEFORE the stated release date (which in the case of these bike special buys is tomorrow, Saturday 16th April), and in this case, it looks like some may be after the stated date due to delays.

uart

Postby uart » Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:38 am

Andy01 wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:01 am
I don't think I have ever seen an Aldi Special Buy going on sale BEFORE the stated release date.
Yeah, I'm guessing that Timbo just misread the catalog date. The printed ones usually have Wednesday and Saturday special buys in the same catalog, one at the front and the other at the back and in different colour highlights.

And yep, with the recent supply chain problems they probably wont have everything even on the due date. This is only a recent thing though, and hopefully only temporary.

DarkRider

Postby DarkRider » Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:52 am

It also doesn't help that the catalogue arrives so early. For us the Aldi cat also arrives a week and a half before the special. The bike one arrived Wednesday week ago and has already gone in the recycling bin.

uart

Postby uart » Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:00 pm

Ok I'm just back from Aldi, and I can report that the bike stuff is in and the following items are in stock.

1. The $999 ebikes.
2. The $12.99 pumps (these look like good value).
3. The lighting kits.
4. The bike storage racks.
5 The $19.99 Helmets. These are great value. I only went for 2L of milk and I've come home with a new helmet. I bought it just for a spare, but I like it so much I might make it my regular kit. Good adjustment and retention mech, a built in rear light, plenty of ventilation and reasonably light weight. I bought full white, but they also had black.

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:26 pm

According to the Aldi website, they seem to be in stock in everywhere except QLD and Northern NSW :cry:

Went to a local Aldi this morning and all they had was the rechargeable compressor.

Scott No Mates

Postby Scott No Mates » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:06 pm

Finally got around to using the ALDI chain cleaning kit. Works better than me doing it by hand.

Downside - 50ml of cleaning fluid (isopropyl), no dripper on oil (I used my own lube from the LBS).

Cleaned chain with cleaning kit, then with detergent, hose it down, dry off the bike & apply lube.
I really should take up cycling!

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:12 pm

uart wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:00 pm
Ok I'm just back from Aldi, and I can report that the bike stuff is in and the following items are in stock.

1. The $999 ebikes.
2. The $12.99 pumps (these look like good value).
3. The lighting kits.
4. The bike storage racks.
5 The $19.99 Helmets. These are great value. I only went for 2L of milk and I've come home with a new helmet. I bought it just for a spare, but I like it so much I might make it my regular kit. Good adjustment and retention mech, a built in rear light, plenty of ventilation and reasonably light weight. I bought full white, but they also had black.
I was at Aldi in Sydney Southwest store this arvo and seen the E-Bikes but dismissed them at this point in time but I never seen the Pumps, rack and Helmets, looks like another trip trying to find a car park. I did buy a bike stand a few years ago and apart from one of the plastic feet snapping off, it has done a good job especially with the heavy tourer.

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:45 am

I waited until yesterday morning and checked the Aldi Special Buys stock page (only goes live 24 hours after the release date) and found that most of the Aldi stores on Brisbane's north and north-west had stock of the track pump, and none on the southside stores had any.

I picked up one on my way across town to visit friends. The store had heaps of them - at least 30.

I tried it this morning - the pump itself works quite well but the pressure gauge is pretty hopeless. It needs to read around 55psi to get an actual 40psi (I checked the pressure with my digital shock pump and a calibrated industrial oil-filled gauge). I tried it on my car tyres and it needs to show 320kPa to get an actual 240kPa. I also found that when I connected it to a bike tyre that was actually about 22psi, it read 20psi and one stroke of the pump jumped the pressure to around 40psi and then it crept up slowly with each stroke after that.

But other than the gauge it seem to pump quite well. On first impressions it seem worth the $13 as long as you have a "real" pressure gauge to check the actual pressures with.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:09 am

I got another of their pumps Sat also.
Haven't checked the accuracy of the pressure guage.
Mine doesn't do the creeping pressure thing though.

Edit; just did the back tyre. Yep pressure guage jumps up with each pump on occasion. My fingers read pressure better I reckon. :lol:

It is the second one I have. Still have a decent track pump at home.
The tag said it is only rated to 6.5 bar of pressure.
That is enough for me these days.
My days if racing on tubular tyres are well behind me.
Just leave it up here at the call branch for my zwift bike on the kickr core.
It won't be doing much.
I am not that fussy on tyre pressures. My fingers pinching the tyre is rough enough.
If I run road tubeless on my new hookless wheels that are coming I'll be more careful. That pressure error in the reply above wouldn't be satisfactory.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:57 pm

I find the mucoff "chain and gears" to be pretty reasonable for a light clean of the casette. It's delayed unfortunately

uart

Postby uart » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:22 pm

Andy01 wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:45 am
I also found that when I connected it to a bike tyre that was actually about 22psi, it read 20psi and one stroke of the pump jumped the pressure to around 40psi and then it crept up slowly with each stroke after that.
Ok that's interesting, so the dodgy pressure gauge is pretty much exactly the same as it is on my 5 year old model then.

Here's a couple of tips on using that gauge.

1. It's fairly useless when pumping, but if you disconnect and then reconnect it (without pumping) then it's actually fairly accurate (or at least mine is). This works best on high volume tyres as you don't lose much pressure taking it on/off the valve.

2. On my lower pressure MTB tyres (which are Schrader so I'm not sure if that also makes a difference) then I find the gauge error is less pronounced. I set the pointer to the pressure I want (eg 32 PSI) and pump until the needle just hits that point. However, I then continue to pump but only very slowly (so as not to make the pressure spike) for several full strokes. The first few slow strokes generally wont even move the needle, and then it will gradually rise to just above the pointer at which point I stop. It's usually pretty close.

3. On high pressure / low volume tyres the gauge is a lot less useful. You can do the disconnect/reconnect thing and that does work, but you generally lose a bit of pressure doing the on/off thing, so you probably want to start about 10PSI high to do this. You can also do the low speed strokes to finish off as above, but with high pressure presta valves the gauge will still read a decent amount higher than the actual tyre pressure.

Bailey

Postby Bailey » Mon May 23, 2022 4:16 pm

Does anyone know we’re to get the derailleur hanger for the Aldi mtb it has a 1x9 cheers
:D

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:14 am

Folding ebike and others will be on sale on 3rd Sept.
https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys ... september/
Products description;
Folds easily to fit into a car boot
250W, rear hub motor
7.5Ah battery
1.95" wide, all-terrain tyres
Integrated luggage rack
Front and rear LED lights
Folding pedals
Mudguards
Adjustable seat and handlebars for different-size riders
Charger included
Weight: 24kgˇ
Not good for distance but might be up to 50km.

And tools & accessories too.
And 45kg limit 3 bikes car boot bike rack too.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:12 am

It is worth noting that the Aldi toolkit has gone from a (I think from memory) 42 piece kit costing $40 to a 12 piece kit costing $50. Admittedly a lot of the extra pieces were things like hex wrenches and screwdrivers (which I have never used).

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:04 am

Those are some cheap bibs. The ALDI workstand is good for home use.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:30 pm

Of Aldi folding ebike, found the info and the brand is Estate.

This battery of 7.5ah for distance is up to 25km in one charge.

https://www.estatebikes.com/product-page/folding-e-bike

It's not good of "about or contact us" in not showing the address.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:07 am

I got a pair of bibs to see what $25 bibs are like. They're about as good as would expect for the price, chamois is quite thin and fabric is pretty cheap. The cut and look at ok, maybe a little short in the leg. These are definitely something for my half hour commute not a 2+ hr ride.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:43 am

No e-bikes left but lots of e-scooters. $469 but only 18k of range so clearly the batteries were where the savings were made.

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:02 am

Comedian wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:43 am
No e-bikes left but lots of e-scooters. $469 but only 18k of range so clearly the batteries were where the savings were made.
Perfect for commuters riding a couple k's each end to a train station and carrying a scooter with them

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:12 am

blizzard wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:02 am
Comedian wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:43 am
Perfect for commuters riding a couple k's each end to a train station and carrying a scooter with them
Good point, and should be quite light too.

The problem is if it's real world range is low teens that's very short distance. Will work for some.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:08 am

Report from CHOICE review on Aldi folding Ebike.
Is the Aldi folding electric bike worth it?
https://www.choice.com.au/transport/bik ... ike-review
The bike's smaller 36V battery means the charge will last for a shorter period of time before requiring recharging, and this will deplete the lithium-ion technology quicker as a result.

Aldi also isn't known for keeping a stock of replacement parts, which makes us think this will be a short-lived disposable electric bike, so it isn't the most sustainable choice. And forget the bike if you're over 100kg as this is the specified maximum weight limit.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:00 pm

I forgot the bike stuff was in store last weekend so by the time I visited an Aldi mid-week, they were out of the bibs :( For $25 I was willing to give them a go
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:49 pm

Mububban wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:00 pm
I forgot the bike stuff was in store last weekend so by the time I visited an Aldi mid-week, they were out of the bibs :( For $25 I was willing to give them a go
Some men's lycra shorts (ie non-bibs) still left in my local Aldi yesterday and one pair of women's bibs

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:12 am

Aldi have a few bike things on sale Saturday 8 April - e-bike, pump etc. No tools nor clothes this time round
Anything you can do, I can do slower

ilovemybike

Postby ilovemybike » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:14 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:12 am
Aldi have a few bike things on sale Saturday 8 April - e-bike, pump etc. No tools nor clothes this time round
Thanks for the heads up. What are usually good buys? I brought a bike stand last sale and think that was pretty good. I also got a bike pump, I think it does the job but i read a few posts above that the guage is not accurate - I have no idea, i don't have anything to go by.