Aldi Specials

caneye

Re: Aldi Specials

Postby caneye » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:31 am

foo on patrol wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:54 am
caneye wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:21 pm
if you have the wahoo RPM cadence sensor, you can even secure it to your shoes. that's what i do so i don't have to worry when switching bikes.

Now that's something that I didn't think of doing. :shock: 8)

Foo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pujNqcrJMsM

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:49 am

Comedian wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:35 am
They know how to kick someone when they are down. VIC only.

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys ... in-bike-3/
Oh no!! I can't buy one :cry:
:lol: :lol:

Wish they'd sell their leg and arm warmers again instead.
That is something that is actually useful for a Victorian cyclist.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:51 pm

caneye wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:31 am
foo on patrol wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:54 am
caneye wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:21 pm
if you have the wahoo RPM cadence sensor, you can even secure it to your shoes. that's what i do so i don't have to worry when switching bikes.

Now that's something that I didn't think of doing. :shock: 8)

Foo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pujNqcrJMsM

8) Thanks. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

caneye

Postby caneye » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:58 am

BTW .. Aldi has some cycling gear on sale this weekend including the bike stand. It's now $39!

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:19 am

caneye wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:58 am
BTW .. Aldi has some cycling gear on sale this weekend including the bike stand. It's now $39!
Mate went down to local Aldi this morning to buy a bike stand.
Had to line up due to Victorian regulations. - By 9:30 sold out. Mate got the last one.

teckpham

Postby teckpham » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:10 pm

Went to 2 different stores looking for repair bike stand at 11am, no luck :(

rollmop

Postby rollmop » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:07 pm

I lined up outside Aldi at 8.15AM this morning and was fourth in the queue.
Doors opened at 8.30AM and by 8.45AM the approximately 15 or so bike repair stands that were stacked in the centre aisle were sold.
I grabbed one along with the bike tool kit, a set of front and rear led lights and a few other bits.
The stand seems more solid than I thought it would be.
As they say "The early bird catches the worm"... or in this case the bike repair stand. :wink:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:18 pm

I've had one of these stands for over 2yrs and am very happy with it. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:37 pm

teckpham wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:10 pm
Went to 2 different stores looking for repair bike stand at 11am, no luck :(
After my mate told me about the bike stands - I zooomed down to another Aldi. Same time - around 11am. No bike stuff left at all except for a few daggy looking backpacks and some tyre pumps.

I went around after and checked out the one my mate bought. As Foo has mentioned, it looks like a sturdy piece of kit.

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:38 pm

Damn Aldi. Bough one of their Uniden dash cams. Had an accident yesterday, "locked" the footage, except it seems there is a firmware fault and it got overwritten, which kind of defeats the purpose of a dashcam.

Scott No Mates

Postby Scott No Mates » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:27 pm

After all of the recommendations for the bike stands, I managed to rock up 5 minutes after opening and grabbed the last one. I only had 2 hands so didn't bother with any of the other stuff.
I really should take up cycling!

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:16 am

Does Aldi restock their special buys?

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:20 am

I bought one of those stands about 5 or years back in one of those Aldi spl buy sales and it's been good, but the little feet tabs are probably the weakest link on them and snap off pretty easily but it hasn't really affected the performance of it.
They are ok for general cleaning and adjusting but are a bit floppy for real extensive work on them and flex a fair bit.
On saying that, If mine had broken entirely, I'd buy another for sure.....it's good for what it is and handles the 14kg weight of my VWR ok.

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:33 am

twowheels wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:16 am
Nope, but they do repeat the popular ones
Anything you can do, I can do slower

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:25 am

I've got a similar style of workstand though not the Aldi.
Wouldn't bother again tbh.
The bike just flaps around and is not held stationary, securely.
Something like this is a far better solution imo

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:36 am

I’ve got an Aldi one and the tacx as above. The Aldi gets more use because I don’t need to remove a wheel so it’s quicker. It’s also easier to move around, but is less stable so for BB work etc I’ll use the tacx
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:44 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:33 am
twowheels wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:16 am
Nope, but they do repeat the popular ones
I guessed as much. I'd recently bought a Lifeline toolkit from Wiggle/Chain Reaction, approx AUD100 for my workplace. Was pointed out to me the Aldi toolkit is the same but rebranded. Quality not too bad so far, (chain tool, BB spline tool, cassette/disc brake tool, crank removal tool, pedal spanner) needs addition of freewheel tool for our needs.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:45 pm

bychosis wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:36 am
I’ve got an Aldi one and the tacx as above. The Aldi gets more use because I don’t need to remove a wheel so it’s quicker. It’s also easier to move around, but is less stable so for BB work etc I’ll use the tacx
I only have the aldi type.
I almost never use it.
I'd just as soon place the bike on the concrete floor rather than have it flap around.

I guess gear tuning is ok but apart from that, what is it you find it useful for?

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:49 pm

I raced down to the Aldi this arvo to see if they had any stands left.
They didn't, but i picked up some "premium runners" for $30 which look better than you'd expect, for the money.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:16 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:45 pm
bychosis wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:36 am
I only have the aldi type.
I almost never use it.
I'd just as soon place the bike on the concrete floor rather than have it flap around.

I guess gear tuning is ok but apart from that, what is it you find it useful for?
Pretty much anything that requires an upright bike. Adjusting gears, brakes, bars, saddle replacement. Holding the bike while changing a tube/tyre. Switching pedals, cleaning the chain. The list goes on.

A few times I’ve done a frame swap so two stands works out well for that.

Once I started building bikes, rather than just maintaining a stand became very useful.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:06 pm

bychosis wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:16 pm

Pretty much anything that requires an upright bike. Adjusting gears, brakes, bars, saddle replacement. Holding the bike while changing a tube/tyre. Switching pedals, cleaning the chain. The list goes on.

A few times I’ve done a frame swap so two stands works out well for that.

Once I started building bikes, rather than just maintaining a stand became very useful.
I would rather stick it on it's wheels on the ground or upside down for almost all of that.
It is far more stable than using the stand I have and have it swinging around like a wind chime. :mrgreen:

Built up several bikes and have hardly used it at all.
Put them on the ground on their wheels and size them up as per the Cervelo S5 that fits like a glove.
I think the one thing the one I have has been useful for is running internal cables.

I had considered one like I pictured just for the extra stability.

caneye

Postby caneye » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:34 am

I've been using the Aldi stand for the past few years. Find it quite handy. The bike doesn't flap around as much once you secure your wheel or handle bar to the elastic loop, at the end of the pole. Is it because people don't use this elastic loop that they find the bike moves too much? (shrug)

Anyway, I had to change my shifter cable over the weekend and redo the double bar tape at the same time. It was very easy using the stand.

Since the Covid lockdown, the bikestand has become a permanent furniture in the living room. Possibly the one thing I dislike about it is the width/length of the legs. It simply takes up too much space.

Before I got it, I used to work on my bikes by placing them upside down on the garage floor. Bikes were quite secure that way, but I often got confused by which way is right and left, CW and CCW :lol:

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:15 pm

caneye wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:34 am
Possibly the one thing I dislike about it is the width/length of the legs. It simply takes up too much space.

I store mine by pushing the legs together, but not all the way, if that makes sense. If I leave them at 15 - 20cm apart, I find that the stand is stable enough to stand up by itself safely but not take up much room. I spread the legs to do any work, of course.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:04 pm

Anybody buy a digital inflator pump? I was looking at them in Aldi yesterday, look ok, comes with a water proof/resistantfabric carry case thing that looks like you could strap under your top tube and a flexible hose that is Schrader valve compatible (also supplied is a presta adaptor to screw onto your valve). It's about the same size as a slightly fatter handlebar stem, a bit heavier though (probably about the same as a mobile phone battery powerbank)

Also looked at the jersey. No rear pockets. Not sure about the military green look

Tried the gloves on. Felt more like cheap gardening gloves rather than cycling gloves. No padding in the palm and full of small perforations that would let in the cold.

uart

Postby uart » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:21 am

Ross wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:04 pm
Also looked at the jersey. No rear pockets. Not sure about the military green look
I just got two pairs of the bike shorts. These were stunning value at just $25 for the combined inner (padded knicks) and fairly smart looking outer shorts (four pocket design - two velcro closed). Seriously, I would have payed at least three times that amount just for the knicks part at a bike shop, and they have quit good padding that's made in Italy.