Good Motorist

Ross

Re: Good Motorist

Postby Ross » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:04 pm

If he was really a good motorist that wanted to help with your Straaaaavvvvaaaaaa he would of got in front (when the road was clear of course) and let you draft! :P

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:31 pm

Cars have trouble driving that slowly Ross.

Had a Shadforth's ute be very patient on a ride this morning letting me track across a narrow bridge and then turning right a little further down the road. Even got a wave.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:57 am

Sometimes I think the most dangerous part of my ride is my own street. No marked lanes, lots of parked cars, and not much traffic, but the traffic which is there often likes to get up to 50.

Anyway, this morning I heard a car coming up behind as I approached a parked truck. As is my habit, I kept left as long as was reasonable, but the car didn't overtake, even though most would. I gave a wave of appreciation. Then it again stayed behind me instead of attempting an overtake before the roundabout at the end of the street.

When I looked behind, I was quite surprised to see it was a tradie van. It read "Beach Glass", so I assume that means Beach Glass, Seaford. So well done to them!

pj

Postby pj » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:52 pm

I need to start posting some positive experiences .......

Had a Murray's bus slow down the other day to let me pass through a narrow pinch point. After passing through the pinch point the bus driver then overtook me and left heaps of space, I was well impressed, I even emailed Murray's to give them some positive feedback :P

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:41 pm

Most drivers let me stay ahead until a good opportunity. I think they just want to have a decent look at the old guy riding a unicycle. :mrgreen:

I hope that they are not taking pics for social media. :cry:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:12 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Most drivers let me stay ahead until a good opportunity. I think they just want to have a decent look at the old guy riding a unicycle. :mrgreen:

You probably have a Bookface page like Maddog Adrian :wink:.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:53 pm

NASHIE wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:Most drivers let me stay ahead until a good opportunity. I think they just want to have a decent look at the old guy riding a unicycle. :mrgreen:

Are we talking ex-UWA student Adrian who, decades ago, rode a bunged up old bike and ranted and raved at drivers, buses, etc? Dressed in dirty shirt and shorts, thongs or bare foot. Mostly East Perth and Vic Park.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:05 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
NASHIE wrote:

Are we talking ex-UWA student Adrian who, decades ago, rode a bunged up old bike and ranted and raved at drivers, buses, etc? Dressed in dirty shirt and shorts, thongs or bare foot. Mostly East Perth and Vic Park.

Yep, Adrian is still riding with same bike and dirty shirt. One of fittest guys in Perth. Have spoken with him a few times, he’s a nice bloke with a few issues. He rides a motorbike on occasion as well. He lives in Midland.
I had a go at my son a couple of weeks ago who had a run in with Adrian. He and has mate had some banter with him, which was all good and friendly but Adrian got a bit PO when they tried filming him which i told my son was fair enough.
Not sure about the UWA bit ? urban myth ?

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:22 pm

I grew up around Midland and he's a local legend. I don't like how people make fun of him, he's obviously not all there, but people being people, I can see that he's an easy target.

What about "hairy sweaty cycling Santa"? I've seen him for years around the Balcatta/northern suburbs area. Always with no shirt on, no matter the weather, covered in a sheen of sweat along with his silver fur coat :) That guy must log some serious miles too.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:02 pm

NASHIE wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:
NASHIE wrote:

Yep, Adrian is still riding with same bike and dirty shirt. One of fittest guys in Perth. Have spoken with him a few times, he’s a nice bloke with a few issues. He rides a motorbike on occasion as well. He lives in Midland.
I had a go at my son a couple of weeks ago who had a run in with Adrian. He and has mate had some banter with him, which was all good and friendly but Adrian got a bit PO when they tried filming him which i told my son was fair enough.
Not sure about the UWA bit ? urban myth ?

He goes back to early 70's thrashing his bike and, at that time, AFAIK he resided in Vic Park. Where I worked in East Perth we had some reservations about how much of his antics were real and how much was living to an image. He seemed to time his appearances to coincide with our lunch time, maximum exposure. On occasion if someone fit and able returned his challenge he would, remarkably, take on a more demure personality and slip away, only to start up again a hundred metres up the road.

He is certainly something different. At the time it seemed that, outside of startling drivers and bus passengers (he loved freaking them out), he was never a danger. On occasion he would be seen to do normal acts of kindness like returning something left at a bus stop or dropped out of a bag. Probably still the same.

At the time the skuttlebutt was that he had suffered a breakdown as a student at UWA but, like everything Adrian, no-one ever knows for sure.