Choice test of lights

suspectinoz

Choice test of lights

Postby suspectinoz » Mon May 05, 2008 10:57 am

Not sure if this is posted anywhere else (I couldn't find it) but Choice have a quick test of bicycle lights (front and rear).

Choice Test
Giant OCR-3 ('07)
_(AT)
_- \,
(*)/ (*)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon May 05, 2008 12:58 pm

Interesting. Did they also consider reliability?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

suspectinoz

Postby suspectinoz » Mon May 05, 2008 1:12 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Interesting. Did they also consider reliability?
Doesn't appear so, but I've asked BV for the full article, let you know when I see it.
Giant OCR-3 ('07)
_(AT)
_- \,
(*)/ (*)

Hawkeye

Postby Hawkeye » Mon May 05, 2008 1:35 pm

An excellent question.

My experience of items branded "Power Beam" has not been good in regard to reliability. The one featured on the Choice site I've not tried and it seems to be built differently from the 4/5-LED white front light I tried so it may be better. I'm done with taking changes on them, though. :x

I wonder if they tested them in the rain?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon May 05, 2008 1:59 pm

As we all know, a light that is working is more effective than a light that is not working.

simonn

Postby simonn » Mon May 05, 2008 2:12 pm

My fiance bought a subscription to Choice when we bought our unit, and therefore many white goods, a few years ago.

They do long term tests, which is what is really needed for reliability, and also ask long term users for their opinions.

However, in our experience the models in the long term tests are no longer available in retail stores by the time the test is completed, so all you have to go on is brand. In these days of outsourcing, though, this means nothing as the new model could have been made by different people, in different factories, owned by different companies in a different countries.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon May 05, 2008 2:35 pm

A couple of simple tests wouldn't hurt, such as shock testing and water testing.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon May 05, 2008 3:34 pm

According to what is stated at the link, it does not appear so. They state:
A panel of 10 judges from the cycling community — including police, government, retailers, community groups and CHOICE — assessed the lights at night at a distance of 200m and also at 50m, with the lights angled at 45° (to simulate the bike approaching an intersection). The flash rate (where applicable) was also assessed.

Our test was conducted on a suburban road with a popular cycle path, and during the test several cyclists passed by with very weak bike lights (or none at all). You should check your bike lights periodically. If they’re looking a bit dim, change the batteries.

Our test showed that all the lights were visible at both distances, but some clearly outshone the rest.
Andrew

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon May 05, 2008 4:59 pm

After whingeing about commuters with 'over-powered' lights on an earlier thread, I eventually had to bite the bullet (and I admitted it at the time) and buy better lights. I wasn't happy commuting with my Cateye HL-EL350, so I doubt that I would have been happy with any of Choice's recommended lights.
ps. no, I haven't bitten the real bullet and bought the Ayup road set yet, but I can see one in my future.
pps. I still think that, in a commuting context, helment-mounted lights are a hazard for other riders / road users, despite their ability to 'attract drivers' attention'
ppps. I used helmeted-mounted lights in my only serious night-time offroad adventure (the Scott 24Hour) and would prefer not to imagine having to do without them ever again.
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Mon May 05, 2008 5:33 pm

The Basta Polaris with a 1/2 watt LED would be acceptable as a secondary light, but none of those are really headlights.

Most people grossly underestimate the amount of light you need for a bike. If you're on the road you're competing with car headlights and a 5 LED flasher while better than nothing isn't anywhere near enough.

Hawkeye

Postby Hawkeye » Mon May 05, 2008 5:38 pm

Bnej wrote:Most people grossly underestimate the amount of light you need for a bike. If you're on the road you're competing with car headlights and a 5 LED flasher while better than nothing isn't anywhere near enough.
+1. :?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon May 05, 2008 5:47 pm

Bnej wrote:The Basta Polaris with a 1/2 watt LED would be acceptable as a secondary light, but none of those are really headlights.

Most people grossly underestimate the amount of light you need for a bike. If you're on the road you're competing with car headlights and a 5 LED flasher while better than nothing isn't anywhere near enough.
Whilst not wishing to distract from your point which I also agree with and would only use these lights as secondary lights as you suggest, I think one should take the test results on-board in a manner consistent with the testing, i.e., on a shared path. Whilst I haven't read the full article, going by the link, these lights where tested on a shared path and therefore should be only considered as suitable in that context. One should be careful in my view from extending these results to other riding contexts. [Maybe this last point should be made more clearer in the link and/or article].

Regards
Andrew

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Mon May 05, 2008 6:01 pm

Aushiker wrote:...on a shared path. Whilst I haven't read the full article, going by the link, these lights where tested on a shared path and therefore should be only considered as suitable in that context. One should be careful in my view from extending these results to other riding contexts....
I think it's representative of what most bike users will spend on their lights, as most bikers will spend $80 tops on a set of front & rear lights. On a shared path with street lights at low speed this is probably OK. Probably for shared paths it might even be better than higher end lights, as you are closer to other users and don't want to dazzle them.

But even a 1w LED doesn't invoke the give-way response that a pair of 3w Crees does.

I think Choice are making a good roundup of what most people will buy, but it's certainly not representative of the best of what's available if you bump your budget up to a 5 year investment instead of a grudging mandatory expense.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon May 05, 2008 6:26 pm

Bnej wrote:I think Choice are making a good roundup of what most people will buy, but it's certainly not representative of the best of what's available if you bump your budget up to a 5 year investment instead of a grudging mandatory expense.
I agree. I thought it was interesting to me from the perspective of a front flasher which I run in-conjunction with my main lights and rear lights.

Andrew

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Mon May 05, 2008 6:56 pm

Bnej wrote: a grudging mandatory expense.
It was a grudging mandatory expense I spose as I would rather spend what little left over money from the family budget we have on stuff to make the bike faster :) . I know I'm not going to be going to fast if I am squashed by a car, but this is hopefully better than the lousy little 1 led flasher I have http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/SULIHNNHF

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon May 05, 2008 7:12 pm

What's the battery life on a 1W LED powered by 4 AAAs going to be?

Because I tried a Canondale 1W LED light powered by 3 AAAs and was sorely disappointed. Initially great beam, but I only got about 1.5 hours of battery life, and it was dimming rapidly at the end. Also seems to have some intermittent fault in the connections, causing it to flicker of and on irregularly. Grrr!!

I bit the bullet and went for a B & M S6 sidewall dynamo with their 1W LED headlight. Gives great lighting for around town and on country roads in my experience. And sustained light output, without any worries about whether the batteries are fresh/charged.

IME 10W + lights are really just overkill for road use. Great on off-road trails at night, but your vision and need for illumination of the track is much different to on-road situations. I've ridden for many years at night with a 3W halogen, and still have this on my Audax bike, powered by the venerable but very free-running Sanyo Dynapower. Never have too much problem being seen by other vehicles.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

bonecrusher

Postby bonecrusher » Mon May 05, 2008 8:44 pm

il padrone wrote: IME 10W + lights are really just overkill for road use. Great on off-road trails at night, but your vision and need for illumination of the track is much different to on-road situations.
I would generally agree but i think it a brighter light would be useful especially early dawn commute where people are sleepy and not alert in their cars. I was almost side swiped as a motorist pulled out from a T intersection and had no clue as she didn't even notice until I almost rubbing up against her door and yelled out at her. I thought I had my front LED light off but when I got to work they were still on and flashing.

I have a 10W niteflux on order which I will use in the mornings and night through the winter. Flashing mode is useful on lit roads to get attention of cars cyclists pedestrians. It will be handy at night when I ride through Rookwood Necropolis and Homebush Bay Olympic park tracks and road. I will just as handy for my pre dawn starts as well.

Waterproof is important for commuting especially when it starts bucketing like it had been last month.

It surprises me now many cyclists try to ride around Olympic park at dusk/ evenings with no lights. They are not only invisible to cars but also other cyclists etc. GRRRR..

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Mon May 05, 2008 9:54 pm

il padrone wrote:What's the battery life on a 1W LED powered by 4 AAAs going to be?

Because I tried a Canondale 1W LED light powered by 3 AAAs and was sorely disappointed....
Well a Cateye HL530 with 4xAA gives a good 10 hours bright and probably 50 more of passable but dimming. It's less than they claim but not too bad.

4xAAA should give 4 or 5 hours for decent light. Or so you'd think... A single 1w LED light gives enough light to see by as long as you're not going more than about 20km/h, or if you're traveling on roads with streetlights.

If you're going to get that SUN light why not get two so you can have a bit of extra width when people see you? They're cheap enough! ;)

I could not go back to a 1w LED now. I think a single 3w Luxeon LED & a secondary multi LED is okay for cruising/touring/commuting, but if you're picking up some serious speed you probably want more.

Flashing lights are okay as a last resort, but a constant beam headlight is essential if you want cars to be able to judge your speed and be able to give way. A flashing light will not cue a give-way response when you ride through intersections a lot of times.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon May 05, 2008 10:50 pm

Bnej wrote:
il padrone wrote:What's the battery life on a 1W LED powered by 4 AAAs going to be?

Because I tried a Canondale 1W LED light powered by 3 AAAs and was sorely disappointed....
Well a Cateye HL530 with 4xAA gives a good 10 hours bright and probably 50 more of passable but dimming. It's less than they claim but not too bad.
Really?? I'm no electrical techie. So why did my 1W light die after barely 2 hours?
Bnej wrote:A single 1w LED light gives enough light to see by as long as you're not going more than about 20km/h, or if you're traveling on roads with streetlights.
Well I'd beg to disagree. I've found the 1W B&M LED to be very good at 25-30kmh in various night time situations. Including riding the black night roads into Port Arthur in Tassie. Lots of illumination, and to a good distance. Maybe over 40kmh it might be a bit short on the beam, but I kinda doubt it. Shall have to go out one black night and ride a few dark streets to check.
Bnej wrote:If you're going to get that SUN light why not get two so you can have a bit of extra width when people see you? They're cheap enough! ;)
No thanks. Happy to use my 1W LED dynamo light :D
Bnej wrote:[Flashing lights are okay as a last resort, but a constant beam headlight is essential if you want cars to be able to judge your speed and be able to give way. A flashing light will not cue a give-way response when you ride through intersections a lot of times.
Agree with this very much.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Mon May 05, 2008 10:56 pm

il padrone wrote:Really?? I'm no electrical techie. So why did my 1W light die after barely 2 hours?
'Cos it's a Crack'n'fail, not a Cateye! :lol:

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Mon May 05, 2008 11:09 pm

il padrone wrote:Well I'd beg to disagree. I've found the 1W B&M LED to be very good at 25-30kmh in various night time situations.
Well, your B&M is probably a bit different to the Cateye I was using, but my experience was:

~40km/h on lit street - this is all right.
~20-25 on partially lit streets - good value I got here
~40km/h on unlit winding downhill - holy crap I can't see the corner I'm going to die brake brake brake....

I'd give it a bare pass at 30km/h but on a black unlit winding road I didn't think it was enough at all. Probably if I were riding flattish terrain and straighter roads it would be more usable.

My opinion of Cateye remains that they make mid-range products at top-end prices. ;)

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Mon May 05, 2008 11:18 pm

Bnej wrote:

If you're going to get that SUN light why not get two so you can have a bit of extra width when people see you? They're cheap enough! ;)
I thought about getting two of those sun lights but also got a tube and some neoprene overboots and that cleaned me out :cry:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue May 06, 2008 8:49 am

Bnej wrote: [
So what is this unit like ? Thinking of getting an additional light for night riding.

How many hours on flashing output ? Is the 10 hours listed with it on full time ?

Cheers

Michael B

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Tue May 06, 2008 9:00 am

MichaelB wrote:
Bnej wrote: ...Cateye HL530 with 4xAA...
So what is this unit like ? Thinking of getting an additional light for night riding.

How many hours on flashing output ? Is the 10 hours listed with it on full time ?
It's okay, it's a bit big, decent commuter light.

No flashing mode, just on/off. It's waterproof, with a magnetic switch at the back. Mounting hardware is okay but a rubber shim or automotive mounting tape will improve the grip on the bars.

They claim 10 hours at full brightness and 90 at partial, but after it starts dimming it's time for a recharge.

The beam pattern is usably wide & even with a somewhat pointless small bright spot in the middle.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue May 06, 2008 9:10 am

Bnej wrote:Flashing lights are okay as a last resort, but a constant beam headlight is essential if you want cars to be able to judge your speed and be able to give way. A flashing light will not cue a give-way response when you ride through intersections a lot of times.
Are you aware of or can you point to research which supports this perspective?

My opinion which is based on observation of other riders is that I find constant beams are less noticeable on the road and bike paths. I would go further to suggest that on shared paths besides roads, constant beams blend in way to much with the road and hence it is more difficult to determine the location of the rider until they are much closer than I would like at times. I find flashing lights better in these conditions.

Also I suspect that drivers equate flashing lights with bikes more so than constant beams.

Personally I go with both on my commuter and in low light (dawn/dusk for example) run the flasher and then turn on the constant beam once it gets darker.

I run a Blackburn Quadrant at present and one of its advantages in my view is that it is visible from the side as well as in front and hence offers a small advantage over lights which are directed to the front only. Oh it is also big and ugly ... that helps too :)

Regards
Andrew