Vivente World Randonneur - the best bang for your buck

RonK

Re: Vivente World Randonneur - the best bang for your buck

Postby RonK » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:59 pm

Very likely there is no stock of completed bikes and no supply of components to build them. Covid-19.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:09 pm

I was briefly chatting to Noel McFarlane today via Instagram and asked him why the Vivente Patagonia was discontinued from the model line up and apparently it was because Shimano is no longer making the Dura-ace or any other model bar-end shifter which was common with the Touring bike.
I was a bit taken back by this and thought if I ever snapped one of the bar-end shifters and it was the right one that operates the rear cluster, I'm virtually screwed!! :shock:
If that was to happen, I guess my other option was to change handlebar set up (drop bars) and perhaps go for a trekking bar and go back to Rapid fire system hence being able to keep the Hydraulic brake set-up. That means a whole brake/gear set that's compatible with my 9 speed set up.
Jeez ...i'll be really paranoid now trying not to snap a bar-end lever.

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:08 pm

The 9 speed bar-end shifters are still available from various suppliers but like you Brumby I'm a bit concerned about replacements if I ever need them for my VWR.
Brand new good to higher end 9 speed MTB rear derailleurs are hard to find too. I can't locate an XT model anywhere.
I'm considering buying spares to tuck away for later or else a conversion to 10 speed.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:53 pm

Tim wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:08 pm
The 9 speed bar-end shifters are still available from various suppliers but like you Brumby I'm a bit concerned about replacements if I ever need them for my VWR.
Brand new good to higher end 9 speed MTB rear derailleurs are hard to find too. I can't locate an XT model anywhere.
I'm considering buying spares to tuck away for later or else a conversion to 10 speed.
Tim, All these gear combos now are going by the way of gravel bikes like the single front cog with 11 speed clusters at the back.

Maybe the way of the future. I wonder how say a single front chain wheel plus 11 speed rear would compare with a 3 x 9 in actual useable touring ratios? I'm no Mathematician so i have no idea. Gravel bikes are designed for bikepacking not full pannier touring so would you have enough lower gear (granny 24 cog front) although by the look of the front cog on the Gravel bikes, they arn't that much bigger than the granny and smaller than the middle cog.

Either way, I still may try and get a couple of spares from somewhere.

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:01 pm

1 x gear systems don't appeal to me.
I like a wide range of gears with close ratios.
2 x 11 for road bikes and 3 x 9 for touring suits me perfectly.
I can't see any reason to change other than parts redundancy.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:22 pm

Tim wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:01 pm
1 x gear systems don't appeal to me.
I like a wide range of gears with close ratios.
2 x 11 for road bikes and 3 x 9 for touring suits me perfectly.
I can't see any reason to change other than parts redundancy.
Tim, I'm with you there....love the 3 x 9 set up and have used every single one of them :mrgreen:

I know some of the other tourers with bar-ends use a different brand of shifter, I wonder if they are compatible with Shimano 3 x 9 set-ups.

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:00 pm

brumby33 wrote: I know some of the other tourers with bar-ends use a different brand of shifter, I wonder if they are compatible with Shimano 3 x 9 set-ups.
At a guess I'd say they're using Microshift stuff.
Something I've also considered.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:06 pm

Tim wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:00 pm
brumby33 wrote: I know some of the other tourers with bar-ends use a different brand of shifter, I wonder if they are compatible with Shimano 3 x 9 set-ups.
Tim, Shimano still making a 3 x 10 speed dura-ace shifter as with Micro-shift does as you stated, so my question is, if they are making the 10 speed, will our derailliers take a 10 speed cluster and will our axles/wheels take a 10 speed in place of a 9 speed? If our system could handle going up to 10 speed, that would make an even closer ration cluster yeah?
I'm not really that technical in the gearing.

VWR Patagonia 2017

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:11 pm

brumby33 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:06 pm
Tim wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:00 pm
Tim, Shimano still making a 3 x 10 speed dura-ace shifter as with Micro-shift does as you stated, so my question is, if they are making the 10 speed, will our derailliers take a 10 speed cluster and will our axles/wheels take a 10 speed in place of a 9 speed? If our system could handle going up to 10 speed, that would make an even closer ration cluster yeah?
I'm not really that technical in the gearing.

Ok....just to amend my post...I just checked the Vivente website, it seems that our rear cluster can be changed out for a 10 speed but looks like we'd have to change the derailieur to a 10 speed as the one we have is only for a 9 speed.
Rear Derailleur
Shimano XT, RD-M771-SGS 9-speed
Rear Hub
Shimano Deore XT freehub, FH-M756A L 36H 8/9/10-speed, for disc brake (6 bolt), black

VWR Patagonia 2017

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:22 pm

The 10 speed conversion plan is all good other than using the Dura Ace bar-ends.
The 10 speed Dura Ace shifters are designed only for a road rear derailleur. 7, 8 and 9 speed road and MTB shifters and derailleurs are all interchangeable but I'm fairly certain that Shimano changed the cable pull ratio at 10 speed so road shifters won't work with MTB rear derailleurs.
BUT, Microshift do a 10 speed MTB bar-end shifter that works with a 10 speed Shimano MTB derailleur.
So all is not lost. :D

zebee

Postby zebee » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:18 pm

When the bar end shifter on the trike died a non-9-speed specific friction shifter worked. Not as nice as indexed but perfectly usable. And I believe fairly easy to find

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:35 pm

^^^
Friction shifters are something I'd overlooked. Thanks.
Indexed bar-end shifters can "switch" to friction with a turn of the dial.
Can't see why 9 speed Dura Ace bar-ends won't work this way on a 10 speed cassette and derailleur.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:38 pm

Hard to believe why Shimano has discontinued this shifter system considering this configuration of gearing has been around for decades, especially for touring bikes.
Everywhere I've seen on the reviews is mostly very positive so they are still in some kind of demand but I guess the demand is still small by other bike type set-ups.

VWR Patagonia 2017

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:24 pm

A thread that might inspire some confidence in the Vivente brand with regards their service and warranty:

https://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/view ... 77&t=99812
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:40 pm

I am selling my Vivente Rohloff, if anyone is interested or knows someone who may be interested.

Ad on this forum
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=104353

Kaete

Postby Kaete » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:10 pm

I wrote in this forum last on Tue May 02, 2017 5:02 pm
viewtopic.php?f=77&t=63295&start=125

Since then my Decan has been modified quite a bit!

Now installed are touring handlebars, hydraulic brakes, extra detachable flashing lights, and a 250 watt motor with long range battery (courtesy of Metro Bikes here in Newcastle).

Now seventy years of age, and with some ongoing respiratory health issues, the engine has been at times quite a blessing.

The downsides are the extra weight (28klg even without the bags and the water bottles) and the wear and tear that inevitably produces; the upside being that it will climb any hill in Newcastle, even Brown St, quite effortlessly, and that even in strong headwinds, and with a heavy load, it will plough along more than very well. Most times I prefer peddling without the engine turned on, but there are times, many actually, when it comes in more than very handy :-)

There have been some irritating problems, although relatively minor in the general schema of things, happen since I bought the Deccan in late 2016, and now having traveled maybe 5,000 klms or so. The first, some two years ago, was that for some unknown reason, the seat developed large tears, which later necessitated a total seat replacement. The second, when riding along not far from home (thankfully!) the bolt holding the seat on to the seat post stem broke, throwing the seat out into the road, and me riding home standing up on the peddles. The third, that the seat post jammed, such that no adjustment up and down could be achieved. Finally, about three months ago, the steering became quite stiff, requiring a bearing to be replaced.

Would I buy another Deccan? Yes, most assuredly I would! Mind, next time I'd likely go for a larger frame, than the large frame that I currently have. The Deccan is generally the only bike I'm riding these days. May well sell my Gazelle Fuente Trekking in order to buy another :-)

Kaete

[url][https://kaete.files.wordpress.com/2021/ ... %2C219/url]

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:56 pm

Did you buy the Deccan new or used?

The Anatolia is pretty much the exact same bike only it comes already with Hydraulic disc brakes, same gearing and same frame, racks etc but instead it has the trekking bars instead of drops which can be changed readily enough.
The Deccan comes with mech discs because it had the brifter type gear change system combo but all the other models are hydro.
If I ever get another I would buy a Anatolia or maybe the Rholhoff version.

Bernie from Metro knows a lot about the e-bikes and the conversions.

Have you tested how long the battery would last with the pedal assist because it's a thought I've been toying with for my Vivente Patagonia, just not ready to take the plunge as I think a conversion is around $800 or something like that. I would rather stick a conversion on mine rather than buying an e-bike at well over $3,500.

Cheers

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

Kaete1

Postby Kaete1 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:33 pm

"Did you buy the Deccan new or used?
The Anatolia is pretty much the exact same bike only it comes already with Hydraulic disc brakes, same gearing and same frame, racks etc but instead it has the trekking bars instead of drops which can be changed readily enough.
The Deccan comes with mech discs because it had the brifter type gear change system combo but all the other models are hydro.
Have you tested how long the battery would last with the pedal assist because it's a thought I've been toying with for my Vivente Patagonia, just not ready to take the plunge as I think a conversion is around $800 or something like that. I would rather stick a conversion on mine rather than buying an e-bike at well over $3,500."
Cheers
brumby33"

Hello Brumby,
Apologies in the delay responding. I've had to log in under a different username and email address due to not being able to log in my previous user name and email address
The bike was bought new.
The battery I tested not very long after I had it installed. On one trip up and down some steep hills, 75 kilometres distance all told, and with the usual moderate load in the Ortieb waterproof panniers (ie, first aid kit, tools, spare tube, wet weather gear), and with the two litres of water I was carrying, the battery still had around 25% left in it when I got home. On a trip out to Belmont and back from Newcastle (return distance approx 40 klms) a few days ago when I used the motor up some steep hills, and in blustery head winds, I got back home with about the same capacity left. No doubt, three years old now, the battery is likely to be rather less effective than when originally installed, and may soon need replacing. I'll be interesting to see.
The conversion cost to have the motor, battery, all the wiring, etc, etc, installed, including about three hours labor to do the job, was $1500. Have no idea what it could cost now. Hopefully a little less, especially if the price of batteries has come down.
well wishes, Brumby, all
Kaete
www.kaete.org

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:12 pm

Kaete1 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:33 pm
"Did you buy the Deccan new or used?
Have you tested how long the battery would last with the pedal assist because it's a thought I've been toying with for my Vivente Patagonia, just not ready to take the plunge as I think a conversion is around $800 or something like that. I would rather stick a conversion on mine rather than buying an e-bike at well over $3,500."
Cheers
brumby33"

Hello Brumby,
Apologies in the delay responding. I've had to log in under a different username and email address due to not being able to log in my previous user name and email address
The bike was bought new.
The battery I tested not very long after I had it installed. On one trip up and down some steep hills, 75 kilometres distance all told, and with the usual moderate load in the Ortieb waterproof panniers (ie, first aid kit, tools, spare tube, wet weather gear), and with the two litres of water I was carrying, the battery still had around 25% left in it when I got home. On a trip out to Belmont and back from Newcastle (return distance approx 40 klms) a few days ago when I used the motor up some steep hills, and in blustery head winds, I got back home with about the same capacity left. No doubt, three years old now, the battery is likely to be rather less effective than when originally installed, and may soon need replacing. I'll be interesting to see.
The conversion cost to have the motor, battery, all the wiring, etc, etc, installed, including about three hours labor to do the job, was $1500. Have no idea what it could cost now. Hopefully a little less, especially if the price of batteries has come down.
well wishes, Brumby, all
Kaete
www.kaete.org
I wish I was still living in Newcastle, originally a Kotara lad, and until 4 years ago was living in New Lambton, I blame that idiot Andrew Constance for this with his public transport privatisation. I used to live just around the cnr to the start of the Fernliegh track and rode it many times, my Father has driven trains on it many times back in the 60's and 70's.
Bernie from metro Cycles used to hold some awesome bicycle Touring parties upstairs, I used to come up from Sydney for them, always a great night....but since the Hindmarshes have moved to the Netherlands now and with Covid, they are the thing of the past untill touring is good again.

Anyway I digress....I think for $1500 I'll just keep pedalling till I can't pedal anymore.

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

dsilkroad

Postby dsilkroad » Sun May 02, 2021 3:37 pm

Hi Guys I am planning my first tour. I'm leaving next week on a Vivente Anatolia size medium that I bought brand new last year.
I weigh 100kg and I'd like to carry 40kg of stuff. I just did a test and weighed every thing to within + - 2kg.
I tested the bike in my street/ around the block, and I could very easily feel the lateral flex in the frame especially when I pedal uphill or make a uturn.
The weight is distributed well. I have a 18 kg tubus front rack and it is carrying about 35 % of the weight.
My question is : will the Anatolia be OK with 140kg of total load; rider + gear?
Also my tour is not all on tarmac; there is some gravel too. I will always be riding slow and minimising wear and tear to a minimum.
I am only concerned because I have never felt a bike flexing underneath me the way my bike felt today. But I never rode a fully laden touring bike; so maybe it is normal that the bike feels like that. usually I only carry between 5 and 10kg of stuff.
Please let me know what you think about the matter; if you believe I should; I should be able to reduce a few kg but I prefer not to if I can.
Regards
Chris

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Sun May 02, 2021 7:45 pm

Are you 100% sure it is the frame flexing that you are feeling? Sometimes if gear is not balanced properly, then it can feel a bit strange. Also, I had an experience where a rack came a little lose, and was moving with shifting weight, especially standing out of the saddle, felt terrible

The vivente frame is pretty solid. I am willing to bet it is something else flexing, eg rack, or something moving around.

With regards to the offroad stuff, make sure you take a few spares eg nut and bolts, especially for the rack mounting. Also cable ties and tape etc, just in case something works lose. Check all attachment points at the end of the day etc

Peter A

Postby Peter A » Wed May 05, 2021 9:32 am

Is it peddling seated, unlikely to be standing as no way can I stand and
peddle loaded (front&back) with total about 32kg, bike feels totally unbalanced.
I'm just under yr weight on a GIBB.
Guessing you have heavier stuff packed as low as possible.
Very surprised re the frame flex, pretty strong bit of gear.

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:08 am

brumby33 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:12 pm

I wish I was still living in Newcastle, originally a Kotara lad, and until 4 years ago was living in New Lambton, I blame that idiot Andrew Constance for this with his public transport privatisation. I used to live just around the cnr to the start of the Fernliegh track and rode it many times, my Father has driven trains on it many times back in the 60's and 70's.
Bernie from metro Cycles used to hold some awesome bicycle Touring parties upstairs, I used to come up from Sydney for them, always a great night....but since the Hindmarshes have moved to the Netherlands now and with Covid, they are the thing of the past untill touring is good again.

Anyway I digress....I think for $1500 I'll just keep pedalling till I can't pedal anymore.

brumby33
How's it going Brumby, still pedalling your VWR?

Idlely browsing Omafiets and saw some great photographs of tourers including many Viventes, always great to see the crazy places / situations people and their bikes get to

https://www.omafiets.com.au/service/our ... -the-wild/

Not much wildness within 5kms of my place but managing to do 100km rides all within Centennial Park, circuits each with a climb up to the Paddington Gate and then Woollahra Gate gets the ascent up near 1000m for the 100 so the legs think they are doing something, bit boring though. Keep pedalling.
Bill (Long Distance Dreamer)
2008 Cannondale Touring 2, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:45 pm

Yeah LS, kinda pedalling but not as much as I'd want to, you're lucky to have Centennial park, a nice safe place but yeah, I can relate to boring.
Even more boring is the St George LGA, no big parks to ride in, not many bikepaths and just surrounded by houses and units....quite frankly this area i;m living in now has got to be one of the most boring locales I've ever lived in.

My Vivente is still going strong, I've got the Patagonia with bar end shifters, model not available anymore sadly as Noel is concentrating more on his Rolhoff geared bikes. He only has 2 models with deraileurs now.

One day I hope to do some kind of touring on it but i'm getting on now and not sure if I'm up to it but it's a great commuter anyhow.

If a Vivente is what you might be looking for, I don't think you can go wrong, very well priced and spec'd compared to the many tourers that are available these days. Not easy to buy a fully spec'd touring bike under $3k these days.

Cheers

brumby33
Dave

VWR Patagonia 2017

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:23 am

Oumafiets sent me an email with a link to Vivente.
There appears to be only two models atm, a flatbar and a traditional drop bar model but both with belt drive Rohloff so if you want a derailleur bike you are out of luck
$6,600 each and it looks like any colour you like as long as it is black.
Certainly a niche market.
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!