Fenix v UltraFire LIghts

Aushiker

Fenix v UltraFire LIghts

Postby Aushiker » Sat May 24, 2008 2:45 am

G'day

Saw Graeme's UltraFire lights in action tonight and so have been checking out DealExtreme. Whilst there I noticed that they also sell Fenix's lights. Mind you the Fenix lights are over 2 times the price.

My question is therefore does anyone have experience with the Fenix lights and are they really worth the extra dollars over the UltraFires?

Mind you two Fenix lights + mounts + charger and one is getting up to the price of an Ay-Up.

Andrew

Bikeman

Postby Bikeman » Sat May 24, 2008 4:31 am

hi Aushiker, what do u use the light for? cycling? or flashlight?
Ultrafire is a over 10 years H.K. design flashlight company(made in China). They said that they have a "perfect circle reflector " .
I owned some Surefire flashlights and a Ultra fire flashlights. Although the Ultrafire reflector is not as perfect as the US Surefire, but they are the best for this price and have great performance.
In my opinion, for a flashlight rather than a bike light. Ultrafire is better than Fenix lights. because they have good quality reflector and reasonable price.
I do not have the Fenix light if anythings is wrong please correct me. hope can help you

thomas_cho

Postby thomas_cho » Sat May 24, 2008 10:51 am

Hi there, I would also be interested to read some feedback from a person who has both the fenix and ultrafire lights.

I have an ultrafire light with a cree emitter which I bought from dealextreme. Along with the charger and two 18650 protected batts, my total outlay was about $50. I used this light mounted to my helmet for a commute light, and have no problems riding at abt 25km/h along bike paths with zero street lighting.

As my commute is about 30mins in the dark, I have no issues with the run time. From my estimation, the total run time is about 3hrs. I carry my spare batt in any case.

I would prefer a CR123 format light, as they are lighter and smaller. But run time is a concern.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat May 24, 2008 11:29 am

thomas_cho wrote:I have an ultrafire light with a cree emitter which I bought from dealextreme. Along with the charger and two 18650 protected batts, my total outlay was about $50.
I saw the protected batteries. Do you know what the difference is? Any fitting issues that you are aware of?
I would prefer a CR123 format light, as they are lighter and smaller. But run time is a concern.
Hadn't considered run time. The on/off light I was looking at is the CR123 battery one. Do you have any idea of the run time with these?

Andrew

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Sat May 24, 2008 12:26 pm

I have a Fenix L2D and an Ultrafire C3
Both these lights are very similar in format but differ in quality, finish and ffunction. The fit and finish of the Fenix is top shelf as is the design of the electronics that control the modes. The Fenix feels like it will last forever. The C3 is not as well finished and the modes are quite basic. The C3 can be converted easily to take 1 or 2 AA's or 1 14500 3.6v battery. In short, if money is no object the go Fenix, if budget is tight and versatility in the battery type is important the go Ultrafire. You are paying more for the Fenix for design, quality and quality control.

Andrew, the torch that Graeme can accept a range of voltages and will run quite happily on 2 CR123A's or one 18650 due to the electronics in the driver. The upshot is that you very slightly brighter output at 8v but better runtime on 4v. 800mA (2xCR123 in series) against 2200mA Estimated run time 1.5 on CR123s and 3.5 on 18650

Protected batteries are usually slightly longer than unprotected (2mm) and almost all torches can take both types. I would pay the extra for protected.

Les

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat May 24, 2008 12:34 pm

Thanks Les. Very helpful.

After posting this question last night, I was thinking about the water resistance/proofness of the UltraFire lights. Any thoughts on how they will go in the rain? I would have them on the bike on all the time and ride in the rain.

Andrew

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Sat May 24, 2008 12:58 pm

Aushiker wrote:Thanks Les. Very helpful.

After posting this question last night, I was thinking about the water resistance/proofness of the UltraFire lights. Any thoughts on how they will go in the rain? I would have them on the bike on all the time and ride in the rain.

Andrew
Id say they are spray proof as is but with some vasoline around the threads and an additional o-ring between the glass lens and retaining ring it shoud be good in a tropical downpour.

Les

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat May 24, 2008 3:35 pm

Hi Les

Well doing the maths the Ultrafire setup will about 1/2 a Fenix so I think I will try them. If nothing else they can become my emergancy lights on the second roadie.

Next question. Will the Ultrafire's fit a Fenix bike mount? I am looking at this model Ultrafire and this one which are the ones I think Graeme got.

From what I can gather the mount will take up to a 26 mm barrel.

Thanks
Andrew

Matty

Postby Matty » Sat May 24, 2008 4:46 pm

Andrew, I've been using a Fenix L2D for about a year now for my night time commuting. It has been flawless in its operation and hasn't missed a beat. As Pushy posted the build quality is excellent. I don't have an Ultrafire to compare it too though.

If you haven't already a place definitely worth checking out is Candle Power Forums. Lots of people order from DX and likely there will be a review/discussion about the Ultrafire light you are looking at. The Fenix lights are highly regarded on that forum and was what swayed me to for a Fenix over a cheaper DX one.

Also for some good prices on Fenix Lights you can try Fenix Store.com. Quick check of the P3D, is $USD54.48 vs $USD69.50, though they may be different LED binnings so not sure if it's apples and apples. You can also get a further 8% off too.

With regards to the Fenix Bike Mount. Reading few comments about them, they're not that great. The plastic isn't the best quality, they rattle quite a bit and aren't that secure. An alternative is the TwoFish Mounts. They're basically bits of rubber that sit between the flashlight and handlebar and are secured with velcro. Holds it very securely.

Finally, the great thing about getting two torches is that you can use one on the handlebars and one on your helmet.

thomas_cho

Postby thomas_cho » Sat May 24, 2008 5:04 pm

Pushy basically answered all the questions!

I have the twofish mounts. I have used them on a bike. But for versatility and ease of switching commuting bikes, I have the Ultrafire mounted on my helmet.

On the DX website, there are some useful reviews, and some people have put run time graphs there as well. I bought mine based on the reviews there ...

With my forgetfulness and laziness in charging my batteries, I figured a 3 hr run time torch should make sure that I dont commute in darkness.

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Sat May 24, 2008 6:18 pm

Aushiker wrote:Hi Les

Well doing the maths the Ultrafire setup will about 1/2 a Fenix so I think I will try them. If nothing else they can become my emergancy lights on the second roadie.

Next question. Will the Ultrafire's fit a Fenix bike mount? I am looking at this model Ultrafire and this one which are the ones I think Graeme got.

From what I can gather the mount will take up to a 26 mm barrel.

Thanks
Andrew
I believe thats correct according to the Fenix-store. But save your money and try a few lacky bands. See the second pic in this thread there is a layer of old inner tube between the torch and handlebar. For a stronger hold use more lackies. Superior Rubber Bands Size No. 62 is the way to go and only costs about 2cents each os $2 for a 25g box.

Les

stated

Postby stated » Sun May 25, 2008 9:08 am

Hi there,
For Fenix lights checkout torchworld.com.au. They're great to deal with and now have twofish mounts.
I have had several fenix lights, all have been good except L1D CE (90lumens). It kept flickering before I even used it for the bike, I have been using it lately for the bike but its almost no use, the L1P CE(the original version) still works great but I don't like wasting lithium batteries.
I am thinking of getting either the L2D(180l) with twofish mounts. or ai up road kit
Does the twofish mounts take 2xAA or just 1xA torches?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun May 25, 2008 11:15 am

Thanks everyone. I decided to go with 2 x Fenix L2D CE Q5 along with the a pack of TwoFish Lockblocks from Fenix Store. They had the best offer with the discount code Matty referred to.

Stated I looked at Torchworld.com.au thanks but for the package they where not competitive :(

As I already have a good AA charger here and at Anne's plus in emergencies can easily grabbed some more AA batteries I decided to go with this option which was compatible with the Ultrafire lights plus batteries plus chargers . Oh plus the build/waterproofness of the Fenix lights helped swayed my decision.

Hopefully this will resolve my lighting issues.

Once again thanks for the helpful input.

Andrew

stated

Postby stated » Sun May 25, 2008 4:39 pm

I am struggling to find any 180lumen L2D at Fenix store, am I not looking hard. btw what is the price of the Q5 L2D after the discount and conversion and postage?

uMP2k

DealExtreme Lights and batteries

Postby uMP2k » Sun May 25, 2008 9:41 pm

There are now so many of these threads dealing with DealExtreme lights that I did not want to start yet another so....

What is the story with the batteries for the DealExtreme lights?

From what I can tell DealExtreme sell 3.6v Li Ion batteries and chargers for these lights, but they will also run on standard 1.2v AA batteries (just with less run time). Is this right? Or do I also have to buy the DealExtreme batteries and chargers?

Confused!!!!!!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun May 25, 2008 10:35 pm

stated wrote:I am struggling to find any 180lumen L2D at Fenix store, am I not looking hard. btw what is the price of the Q5 L2D after the discount and conversion and postage?
G'day

The L2D CE can be found here. The discount is 8% if you use the code linked to earlier on. There is no postage charge.

It was a better deal for the package for me as I brought a pack of the mounts. These are $9.00 each at Torchworld.

Andrew

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun May 25, 2008 10:37 pm

Stephen,

I've just compared the two types of battery you mention side-by-side, and I can't see how you could run one of the torches which use the 18650 Li-ion battery on a AA battery. The 18650 is about 50% longer and about 60% wider: an AA won't reach the terminals. I'd say if the torch requires an 18650 battery, you can't use AA batteries in it.

The 18650 batteries come in packs of two for US$10 per pack and the charger is $US13. Delivery is free. That's pretty good value, in my book. A pack of twenty AA alkalines is almost that much!

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Sun May 25, 2008 11:33 pm

I think that the confusion come from the variety of batteries that output 3.6volts. Theres the 18650, 14500(aa size), CR123 (16340) to mention a few. There are some torches that will take AA or the 14500, AA = 1.2volts and 14500 = 3.6 volts.

Take this torch for example. It will run on 1x14500, 1xAA or screw on the extension tube and run it on 2xAA. It has a voltage rengefrom 1.2v to 4.2v. Then there are others that wiil run on 1x18650 or 2x CR123(16340). Its a whole different world when it comes to LEDs, quite different to the old filament bulb.

Les

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun May 25, 2008 11:52 pm

Pushy wrote: It will run on 1x14500, 1xAA or screw on the extension tube and run it on 2xAA.
Les

So as I understand it the 14500 is effectively the same size as AA and thus provides a Li-on AA rechargeable. Would that be right?

My AA Ni-Mh rechargeables are 14.5 diameter and 50.8 in length.

Andrew

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Mon May 26, 2008 12:53 am

Aushiker wrote:
Pushy wrote: It will run on 1x14500, 1xAA or screw on the extension tube and run it on 2xAA.
Les

So as I understand it the 14500 is effectively the same size as AA and thus provides a Li-on AA rechargeable. Would that be right?

My AA Ni-Mh rechargeables are 14.5 diameter and 50.8 in length.

Andrew
Almost, the 14500 is physically the same size as a AA but does output 3.6volts and about 900mA. Whereas your NiMh is 1.2 volts at 2700mA. So depending in the driver you would usually see slightly more light from a 14500 but longer runtimr from a NiMh.

Les

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Mon May 26, 2008 6:14 pm

Pushy wrote:I think that the confusion come from the variety of batteries that output 3.6volts. Theres the 18650, 14500(aa size), CR123 (16340) to mention a few. There are some torches that will take AA or the 14500, AA = 1.2volts and 14500 = 3.6 volts.

Take this torch for example. It will run on 1x14500, 1xAA or screw on the extension tube and run it on 2xAA. It has a voltage rengefrom 1.2v to 4.2v. Then there are others that wiil run on 1x18650 or 2x CR123(16340). Its a whole different world when it comes to LEDs, quite different to the old filament bulb.

Les
Thanks for that explanation Les.

The lights you linked to are one of the type I am thinkinga about getting (maybe two of them) and know that they will run on AAs at a pinch might just be the deciding factor!

Stephen

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:34 pm

G'day

They have arrived ... two L2D Fenix torches and the three TwoFish Lockblocks. Like the mounts and the torches look good. Much thinner than the UltraFire one's Graham has.

Just need a night ride now to try them out.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:51 am

G'day

I have written up my initial impressions of the L2D and the mounts herefor those interested.

Regards
Andrew

dnation

Postby dnation » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:44 pm

You made the right decision mate.
Im a real fan of Fenix now.

I own 2 Ultrafire C2s, a Fenix P2D-Q5 and L3D-Q5. and both fenix are awesome.

I use them both for XC mountain biking. The C2's have a narrow beam but a wide flood with a slight blue tinge making it look like a HID.

The Fenix have a white medium beam with decent flood.
Build quality, the Fenix are by far and away better....

My C2s are good value for money but arent that good when water is involved. They say they are waterproof, but I went prawning with them and both C2 torches let water in and killed the batteries...

The Fenix on the other hand did not let water in, and after the >1hour under water, still worked perfectly..

PLUS the Fenix are smaller than the C2's for the similar light output...

To anyone else considering to buy, Fenix Q5 torches are GREAT..

Get 2 of them and you'll have similar light output to a 15Watt HID light..

cjrich

Battery options

Postby cjrich » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:43 am

Hi all. Sorry if the answer to my coming questions already posted, truth is I'm at work and should be working so no time to read through all your posts.

I purchased 2 x Ultrafire C3 Q5 torches with the extension tubes and using 2 x NIMH rechargable AA batteries in each torch.

Is there any advantage in using the 14500 Lithium batteries? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but with the 14500 I think I can then do away with the extension tube as each torch would only need one battery, thus making them smaller and lighter?

Also which option would have the longer battery life? Most Lithium have a lower Mah that the 2650Mah NIMH i currently use. Also i think the voltage output of 1 x Lithium is higher than 2 x NIMH.

Any thoughts, recommendations? Thanks