light review: UltraFire C2s (Cree Q5 LEDs)

nimm

light review: UltraFire C2s (Cree Q5 LEDs)

Postby nimm » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:30 am

With all my recent early morning and evening riding I decided I needed some decent lights. I was split between the Ay-Ups and a do-it-yourself approach. The DIY approach won cause it was cheaper :)

I orded 2x UltraFire C2s with the Cree Q5 LEDs (~$50 total). I also ordered 4x 18650 lithium-ion rechargable batteries (~$20 total) and a charger (~$10). So about $85 all up after exchange rate charges etc... This was from http://www.dealextreme.com.

I plan to build a mount, but in the meantime I couldn't wait to test them out so I rigged up some temporary mounts using rubber bands! I also used the torch wrist straps and threaded them around the bars in case the bands failed, this way the torches would remain attached. The red band sucked as it was too loose but the blue band (one of those livestrong type charity bands) was actually quite good.

• Old setup: 1W Luxeon light, handle bar mounted (see the green bit)
  • New setup: 2x Cree Q5 handle bar mounted, old 1W Luxeon light helmet mounted.
The difference is amazing. These new lights are quite a bit brighter and the spill is also very good. I had full confidence riding as fast as I could through some dark and twisty bike path sections where before I would take it a bit cautiously. The helmet light actually helped quite a bit despite not being as bright because I could aim it wherever, not just where the bike happens to be pointing, so it's great around bends. In fact I did some testing with the Cree's off just using my old light on the helmet and this was much better on it's own than previously on the handle bar.

Pros:
  • very bright
  • one 18650 battery charge will last approx 3hrs, i didn't test this though. My ride was about 1.5hrs and it was just as bright at the end.
  • helmet mounted lights are awesome too!
  • no heat issues at all, torches remained cool to touch while riding
Cons:
  • UltraFire C2 - 5-mode light is annoying to use as you have to cycle through all modes (mode1-off-mode2-off-mode3- ... repeat and loop). I recommend the 2-mode version unless you need flashing modes. FYI I bought one of each.
  • The UltraFire C2 spot is quite intense, it'd be nicer if it was less intense and the spill was brighter (but same width of spill)
On this one ride I had a car beep me, some people on the path mention they thought I was a motor bike as I passed, and some other people on the path melodramatically shielding their eyes (in jest to indicate it was bright!). All this time the spots were pointed down directly in front of the bike maybe 20-40 meters ahead. They did move a little due to the bands but i was careful to adjust them if they happened to start shifting up.
Last edited by nimm on Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
/ Giant OCR / Go Vegan /

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:58 am

nice... yeah, i'm considering going for a DIY headlight next...

I've got the BLT firewire 4.0, but i'm not REALLY that impressed with it... have to get one(or two) Q5 modules and see how it compares.

Advantage of the BLT is that it takes normal AA's, but if i end up having two bikes in the near future anyway, i know it wont get wasted atleast :)

Any beam shots? :D

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:02 am

Nice review Nimm, how do you find the reflection off the DR cables? Under bar mount may help to reduce that and if you plan on doing any riding in the rain I would suggest adding a little vaseline to all the threads and maybe a small bead of silicone around the front of the lens.

Caelum - I beaten you to the module idea, its a cheap way into great lighting for cycling. I'll post a short decsription later today when I get home from work.

Anyone that goes down this diy path needs to get in front of their light set up and have a look to see how bright their lights can be. Even pointed down the spill can be very bright. If you are on the roads or paths some sort of shroud may be a good idea.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:34 am

Pushy wrote:Nice review Nimm, how do you find the reflection off the DR cables?
Move to Campy, or Shimano 2009. ;)
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:51 am

........or down tube shifters.

nimm

Postby nimm » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:30 am

Pushy: the reflection off the cables was annoying, I will mount them under the bars next ride. I'll have to try out the vase idea, it was dry last night but I don't want to ruin my new lights!

Those modules you link to are R2s. I thought the Q5s were the brightest Cree had to offer looking at their part binning, but the description for the R2s have them going all the way up to 250 lumen vs 200 for the equiv Q5 part (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11621).

Caelum - i'll try to get some beam shots.

Maybe I'll have to look a a DIY cree rear light too, my rear light seems inadequate now :)
/ Giant OCR / Go Vegan /

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:42 am

Yeah, R2's are the latest from cree, they're the modules to get, for sure.

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:34 pm

Does anyone here know if you can buy a Cree LED drop in unit that would replace the dichroic lamp used in something like the NightPro lights?
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:08 pm

Led development is a pretty rapidly evolving technology.

Nimm the torches are pretty waterproof as they are, but it is possible for moisture to get behind the lens as has happened to me on a number of occasions. There was no harm done, I just dismantled the torch and wiped it dry.

If you noticed me ride past in the opposite direction in Alfred Cove Last Wednesday, I yelled a hello to Graeme. These were set to strobe on the front of the bike.
Image. Wires have been soldered to the back of the module, 19mm poly pipe jammed over the body and filled with hot melt glue. Lens also glued on with hot melt glue and the shroud is a piece of tin cut and shaped over a pipeand glued to the modue.

Les

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:23 pm

nimm wrote:Maybe I'll have to look a a DIY cree rear light too, my rear light seems inadequate now :)
Why not just get one of these and strap it to your back, size is about right.

Les

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:50 pm

uncle arthur wrote:Does anyone here know if you can buy a Cree LED drop in unit that would replace the dichroic lamp used in something like the NightPro lights?
I think Cutter has them, do a search for MR11 or MR16 led replacement there or google.

Les

franjae

Postby franjae » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:32 pm

Nimm, I have the same light, but have a problem with them turning off or jumping into another mode randomly. I suspect it is due to a too sensitive switch or something. A bit disappointed with the quality. No issues with yours? cheers!

nimm

Postby nimm » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:09 am

I've only used them once on a ride so far, but no issues with them changing modes automatically. They seem solidly built and the light intensity from both seems about the same.

I have discovered a new method for changing modes though. Once you turn it on using a full button press, you can then lightly tap the button to cycle between the modes without having to go on/off/on/off etc... Quite handy.
/ Giant OCR / Go Vegan /

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:50 am

nimm wrote:I've only used them once on a ride so far, but no issues with them changing modes automatically. They seem solidly built and the light intensity from both seems about the same.

I have discovered a new method for changing modes though. Once you turn it on using a full button press, you can then lightly tap the button to cycle between the modes without having to go on/off/on/off etc... Quite handy.
I found that right away with mine.

I just wish it wasn't raining this morning so I could have gone on the bunch ride and shown the new lights off.....
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:14 am

franjae wrote:Nimm, I have the same light, but have a problem with them turning off or jumping into another mode randomly. I suspect it is due to a too sensitive switch or something. A bit disappointed with the quality. No issues with yours? cheers!
Franjae, that behaviour indicates a bad battery connection. They switch modes when you turn them on and off, so yours is breaking the power supply somewhere inside. Spend some time checking for places where the circuit might fail, but if you can't find any, contact DealExtreme and let them know. You'll get a new torch in a week or so.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

franjae

Postby franjae » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:41 pm

Kalgrm, yes it must be bad contact somewhere. I have contacted DealExtreme and they want be to send it back by the cheapest possible way, etc. I just can't be bothered :roll:

I've taken it apart and put the middle section the other way around and that seems to help a bit, but still hit and miss. The glass lens rattles as well, so I have replaced the rubber ring with a thicker one and that fixed that problem. Overall pretty average product. If it works properly, it is very bright!

If you see my light go off or do strange things along Kwinana cycle path, that would be me :lol:

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:51 pm

I sent one back. It really wasn't a hassle. Wrap it in bubble wrap and stick it in a larger envelop, put some sticky tape on it, address it and take it to the PO. Mine cost $7.40 to send, and they reimbursed it before they even sent the next one out.

Certainly less hassle than constant switching between modes.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:56 pm

franjae wrote:Kalgrm, yes it must be bad contact somewhere. I have contacted DealExtreme and they want be to send it back by the cheapest possible way, etc. I just can't be bothered :roll:

I've taken it apart and put the middle section the other way around and that seems to help a bit, but still hit and miss. The glass lens rattles as well, so I have replaced the rubber ring with a thicker one and that fixed that problem. Overall pretty average product. If it works properly, it is very bright!

If you see my light go off or do strange things along Kwinana cycle path, that would be me :lol:
If you cant be botherd sending it back, you could try seperating the head from the battery tube and the tail cap and cleaning the threads with a rag and come c r c, mainly at the ends of the battery tube where there is no anodising. Then before reassembling roll up a small piece of alfoil and place it inside the torch head like so:
then screw down the battery tube to the torch head firmly.
I hope this fixes your problem.

Les

franjae

Postby franjae » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:29 pm

Les, please enlighten me.....what exactly does the rolled up foil do? And why is it on only part of the tube?

thanks!

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:40 am

franjae wrote:Les, please enlighten me.....what exactly does the rolled up foil do? And why is it on only part of the tube?

thanks!
The foil ensures that there is good electrical contact between the battery tube and the torch head. Anodising on the alloy of the torch is non conductive and some residue is left on the components. Thats why cleaning the contact areas is a good idea. Sometimes the tolerances arn't the best and the foil helps. If you look at the pic I posted above, where the foil sits is the -ive path and the center of the torch head is the +ive Just make sure that that your piece of foil does not bridge across the two and you'll be good. The torch in the pic was exhibiting the same random behaviour until I did this mod.

Les

franjae

Postby franjae » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:55 pm

I see, thanks!

Not sure if it achieves the same objective, but I may have also fixed the problem by inserting an "O" tap fibre washer at the base of the battery (-ve) so that only the spring contact touches the bottom of the battery when the cap is screwed on tight. I suspect it was shorting before as the tube thread when down too far as the spring was totally compressed and the battery was perhaps touching something else. Anyway that appeared to have fixed it. :)

nimm

Postby nimm » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:22 pm

Just an update. I've been away for about a month so haven't ridden with the lights since my original review! Anyway, so I mounted the lights under the bars instead of over. No real difference with stability but this way the lever cables don't get in the way of the light beam which is much nicer. BUT when pedaling standing I hit the lights with my knees, and that's annoying.
/ Giant OCR / Go Vegan /

h3ndry

Postby h3ndry » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:35 am

If your still using the rubber band mounts, try sticking them on the inside of the drops. I have a mate who swears by that, since he nevers gets in the drops on morning and night commute rides anyway. Could be too wide though?

just a thought