Greystanes canal / western sydney regional park hazards

g-boaf

Re: Greystanes canal / western sydney regional park hazards

Postby g-boaf » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:56 pm

That tree branch fell down while I was riding along there.

I went through, turned around, maybe only 5 minutes time difference and that whole thing came down. :shock:

It's moved off the cycleway and partially broken up. Me, a pedestrian and a couple of trail-bike riders worked to move it and clear the path. Normally I'd be cranky with them because they shouldn't be on the cycleway but they were helpful and we got it cleared faster than Cumberland Council would manage.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:17 am

^^^^^
That's why gum trees are nicknamed "widow makers" by forestry workers and firefighters

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:46 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:56 pm

I went through, turned around, maybe only 5 minutes time difference and that whole thing came down. :shock:

It's moved off the cycleway and partially broken up. Me, a pedestrian and a couple of trail-bike riders worked to move it and clear the path. Normally I'd be cranky with them because they shouldn't be on the cycleway but they were helpful and we got it cleared faster than Cumberland Council would manage.
I think that gum trees shouldn't be planted next to infrastructure. There are much better Australian natives to plant in those locations
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:00 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:46 pm
g-boaf wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:56 pm

I think that gum trees shouldn't be planted next to infrastructure. There are much better Australian natives to plant in those locations
The gum trees existed before the path I think.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:32 pm

The gates at Prospect Dam (top section) were already closed tonight at 6:10pm. :evil:

So much for 6:30pm as indicated. The security guard is getting slack again. I'm going to put in a complaint and mention that I'm also making the local MPs aware of it.

I turned around and went back through Western Sydney Regional Park and then crossed Cowpasture Road to take Horsley Drive. :roll: I could have gone Trivett Street but that's risky in the evenings with everyone doing high speed rat-runs through there.

SteveTheTiger

Postby SteveTheTiger » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:42 pm

While driving from Fairfield to try out the Malaysian hawker-style food stalls in Guildford with friends, I passed the bridge over the railway line which forms the eastern end of the Canal Shared Path from Guildford to Abbotsbury.

I was shocked to see the bridge closed by a construction fence with no signage about timeframes, never mind, detours. I had not heard of any works proposed to take place at this location - https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/790847135

I expected to see some wording in relation to the large water pipes passing above the railway, but nothing was mentioned.

The only other thing I could think of was that they are resurfacing the bridge, as some of the plastic flooring had been temporarily replaced recently.

Does anyone know what's going on and how long the bridge will be closed?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:01 pm

SteveTheTiger wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:42 pm
While driving from Fairfield to try out the Malaysian hawker-style food stalls in Guildford with friends, I passed the bridge over the railway line which forms the eastern end of the Canal Shared Path from Guildford to Abbotsbury.

I was shocked to see the bridge closed by a construction fence with no signage about timeframes, never mind, detours. I had not heard of any works proposed to take place at this location - https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/790847135

I expected to see some wording in relation to the large water pipes passing above the railway, but nothing was mentioned.

The only other thing I could think of was that they are resurfacing the bridge, as some of the plastic flooring had been temporarily replaced recently.

That surface on the bridge was treacherous in early morning, very slippery. Although I never had any issues with it, you could see the whole lot looking wet and shiny so I just went slowly. Better to be cautious.

Maybe they are replacing it, but nothing I saw in terms of contact details or time frames.

I also heard from another rider that Prospect Dam was closed during the week as well, with some sort of inspection going on. I didn't go riding outside today so no idea if it was still the case.

They might as well just give up and close the damn dam completely and then the security guard can go home early and or arrive late in the mornings... :roll:

A better permanent replacement shared path along the Great Western Hwy would be desirable.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

SteveTheTiger wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:42 pm

I was told the surface is being redone and the works completed in a month, which means it will be 3 months if lucky.