Greystanes canal / western sydney regional park hazards

Retrobyte

Re: Greystanes canal / western sydney regional park hazards

Postby Retrobyte » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:44 pm

Rode to the dam and back this morning. On the way back six guys riding one wheeled electric scooters(?) were going the other way at around 50kph. At least they were wearing full face helmets even though they were dressed in black from head to toe.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:57 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:44 pm
Rode to the dam and back this morning. On the way back six guys riding one wheeled electric scooters(?) were going the other way at around 50kph. At least they were wearing full face helmets even though they were dressed in black from head to toe.
Yeah, that's normal. The trailbikes have disappeared after a long effort to get signs up and enforcement to get rid of them. Now they are replaced by those high speed e-scooters. There is a group of local residents who take action on those issues. It's something they are aware of.

Watch out on the weekends, those Marathon Clinic people have come back again and they seem to like putting their bollards all the way across the cycleway which is quite dangerous if someone isn't paying attention and runs over them. Next time I see them I'll ask them to put them more sensibly.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:02 pm

recumbenteer wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:06 pm
From BNSW....

Update on the Prospect Reservoir Spillway Bridge upgrade over the Christmas school holidays:
Cyclists and other road users are advised that the bridge and shared pathway/cycleway will be temporarily REOPENED from the 23rd December 2021 to the 6th February 2022 (inclusive).
When the bridge closes again on the 7th February, work hours will be from 7am to 6pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 1pm Saturday.
For more information visit waternsw.com.au

Has it actually re-opened, or is that just talk like the finished in August, Finished in September, October, November then December?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:58 pm

It's open again but the bridge is still a construction zone. It still looks like the old bridge but with everything at the sides gone and scaffolding in place.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:47 pm

I'm not sure if they are actually going to demolish it and build a new bridge or just resurface this one.
Last edited by g-boaf on Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:35 pm

Be careful of the path at top of prospect dam - it's absolutely messy with rocks, gravel, etc. I got another puncture at the top of there today. :roll:

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:38 pm

On 1 February Bicycle NSW was advised that the Prospect Reservoir Spillway Bridge and cycleway would be closed from Monday 7 February to the end of March. However, owing to construction delays the bridge will no longer be closed on this date and will instead remain open for another seven to eight weeks. We will update with more information as we receive it.
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:01 pm

recumbenteer wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:38 pm
On 1 February Bicycle NSW was advised that the Prospect Reservoir Spillway Bridge and cycleway would be closed from Monday 7 February to the end of March. However, owing to construction delays the bridge will no longer be closed on this date and will instead remain open for another seven to eight weeks. We will update with more information as we receive it.
Good. 8)

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:32 am

Update on the Prospect Reservoir Spillway Bridge Upgrade - the final stage of construction will recommence on Wednesday 27 April 2022 and is scheduled for completion at the end of June 2022. During this eight week period the bridge will be closed and traffic management and signs will be in
place to safely guide bike riders along an alternate route.
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:37 pm

I went in past prospect dam from the Chandos rd side today. Went up and along the path towards the prospect highway lights, only to find the gate locked up :( This was at 9:20 in the morning, so very annoying. No reason it should not have been unlocked. The gate at the prospect reservoir end was unlocked. I can only assume somebody forgot. I had to backtrack and go up the driveway to the reservoir rd main entrance. I was then attacked by an angry duck :roll:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:09 pm

Caution on the canal cycleway near the Hyland Road turn off, dirt is washed across the path again and has turned into super slippery mud. It is a crash hazard.

Another rider I know encountered this today. He was lucky to have daylight so he could see it. That was where my accident was.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:30 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:09 pm
Caution on the canal cycleway near the Hyland Road turn off, dirt is washed across the path again and has turned into super slippery mud. It is a crash hazard.

Another rider I know encountered this today. He was lucky to have daylight so he could see it. That was where my accident was.
A month ago when I last rode through there a group coming the other way thankfully warned us of the danger. One of their group had crashed on the slippery mud, probably because they didn't see it and hadn't slowed to a safe speed. Suffice to say I rode through this section very, very slowly.

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:44 pm

There is another very dangerous spot not far from there as well.

https://goo.gl/maps/EEV92Va89DENgNQ57

It is as you come downhill on the bikepath from the sports complex, towards the intersection close to the T-way. You come down a hill, at some speed, and take a left hander at the bottom of the hill. Water has been seeping continuously across the path. The water is not so much the problem, but there is green slippery algae. As you are coming downhill and turning at that point it is nasty.

Take care out there at the moment, lots of problem areas.

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:21 pm

Works on the Prospect Reservoir Spillway Bridge upgrades will temporarily close the bridge and shared footpath (cycleway).
The bridge will close for works again from 27 April 2022 to 30 June 2022.
For more information call the WaterNSW Helpdesk on 1300 662 077 and/or visit the website on https://fal.cn/3nSva
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2

MoeJoe

Postby MoeJoe » Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:23 pm

Folks,

The gate is still closed on the Chandos Road entrance to the Prospect Reservoir cyclepath. No specific opening dates shown from memory.
I was hopeful until I had to turn back :shock:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:44 am

MoeJoe wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:23 pm
Folks,

The gate is still closed on the Chandos Road entrance to the Prospect Reservoir cyclepath. No specific opening dates shown from memory.
I was hopeful until I had to turn back :shock:
Worse still, the Canal cycleway from the turnoff to Pemulwuy to Reconciliation Road is in extremely bad condition, very dirty, probably very slippery as well and I'm told part of it near Reconciliation Road has had the land subside underneath it. Be very, very careful along there or take an alternative route.

caneye

Postby caneye » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:47 pm

Does anyone know if the bridge at Prospect dam has reopened?

MoeJoe

Postby MoeJoe » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:40 am

g-boaf wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:44 am
Worse still, the Canal cycleway from the turnoff to Pemulwuy to Reconciliation Road is in extremely bad condition, very dirty, probably very slippery as well and I'm told part of it near Reconciliation Road has had the land subside underneath it. Be very, very careful along there or take an alternative route.
It sure is bit dusty there. The flood runoff lake thingy has also dried up quite a bit too.

We have adapted and take a MTB with pavement friendly tyres there lately plus it gives me a better workout. Usually take the alternative onramp route next to Davis road and Reconciliation Drive/ Prospect Highway.

The amount of trucks barreling down those bends at speed during weekdays plus the amount of glass and thrown out junk on the bike path makes first right hand the turn off over the bridge and up past the Mens Shed is a better option with less risk of a puncture IMHO.

MoeJoe

Postby MoeJoe » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:41 am

caneye wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:47 pm
Does anyone know if the bridge at Prospect dam has reopened?
No idea yet. My last visit there ended in sadness :D Can't be too much further away til it is completed, surely?

SteveTheTiger

Postby SteveTheTiger » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:13 pm

According to this page - https://www.waternsw.com.au/projects/gr ... ey-bridges - it was due to open 30th June. I've emailed them, but no response yet. Also @FairfieldCity Council via Facebook to remind them this is in their LGA.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:46 pm

The sign at the gates were updated to the end of August but no date

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:07 pm

tez001 wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:46 pm
The sign at the gates were updated to the end of August but no date
Then it will be re-opened with no changes for Christmas holiday period then closed again March 2023? :wink:

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:26 pm

Update off Fairfield Council's f/b....

The final stage of works on the Prospect Reservoir Spillway Bridge and shared cycleway is underway. WaterNSW expect to finish the remaining works by mid-September when they will reopen the cycleway permanently.
For more information call the WaterNSW Helpdesk on 1300 662 077 and/or visit the website on https://fal.cn/3rtBc
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2

SteveTheTiger

Postby SteveTheTiger » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:08 pm

Cumberland Council inviting comment the entire Prospect to Potts Hill Canal/Pipeline corridor. Submissions due by 12 September 2022.
https://haveyoursay.cumberland.nsw.gov. ... e-corridor

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:38 am

SteveTheTiger wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:08 pm
Cumberland Council inviting comment the entire Prospect to Potts Hill Canal/Pipeline corridor. Submissions due by 12 September 2022.
https://haveyoursay.cumberland.nsw.gov. ... e-corridor
Some of the dot points are a bit of waffle, but certainly worthwhile initiative. The really need to do some fixes to stop dirt/soil erosion on the western end of the path where all the housing developments are going in. That runoff has caused a lot of crashes of riders and people running/walking to slip over too.