What did you do with your bike(s) today?

warthog1

Re: What did you do with your bike(s) today?

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:07 pm

Swapped the gravel wheels back into the gravello and out to the O'Keefe.
Pretty quickly noticed and annoying intermittent grinding noise that was only present when pedalling.
Stopped a couple of times trying to track it down.
Finally found one of the derailleur hanger screws had wound out and was rubbing on the cassette lock ring.
Back home and off with the wheel. Other one was loose too.
Did them up with some locknut applied to the threads.

Dogs are the best people :wink:

grt046

Postby grt046 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:06 pm

Well three months had elapsed since tubeless sealant top up I decided to do my own thing for the first time (had my LBS do it once previously)

Had a look at videos and all looked simple so off we went ........ plastic sheet down on the shed floor, bike on stand and then first deflate the tyres. had the valve in the bottom position and when starting to deflate was confronted by a fountain of sealant that went everywhere.
Second try went better with the valve on top.
Proceeded to top up 60mm which then went to plan reinserted valves and inflated .... fingers crossed that they remain that way
Cleaned up the mess and when folding up the plastic found it had a hole in it and there was a pool on the concrete.
Now all cleaned up what looked like a 5 minute job was much more than that much to my embarrassment.

Learned a few lessons so that's good I guess :oops: :oops: :oops:
Giant Defy Advanced 1 (2014) Orbea Gain M20 (2021)

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:37 am

The council clean up gods had smiled upon me lately. Picked up a neglected but serviceable c.1998 Avanti Aggressor Pro with LX/XT gear including first generation Shimano XT M755 4-pot hydro discs AND a more basic 2013 Merida Matts TFS 100 that probably saw 4 hours use and a lot of being left outside.

Gave the Avanti a proper clean and a couple of new cables, swept the rust off the discs through a little use, and it's good to go.

Gave the Merida a wipe over and lifted the seat. Maybe need to top up the front brake fluid, but it works well otherwise.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:40 am

Swapped the head light from my Wheeler to my Trek Xcaliber 8 and rode it this morning. :shock:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:15 pm

Rode the S5, of course there is still flooded parts so it's dirty.

After that I gave it a proper clean up, cleaned the cassette up since that wasn't done for a while - and the frame got the wax treatment for the shiny parts. Chain didn't need much attention as it's a 12 speed SRAM one and for whatever reason it just never seems to get too dirty.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:45 am

I bought a Azur Titan 3000 Lumens Head Light for my 29er. :)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:09 am

Looked at them. Raining again.

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:45 pm

Attached a big blind to the side of the Shed, so that the bikes get a bit more shade while parked.

Very strong hot sunshine up this way today.
36 degrees C and high humidity.
Can’t be good for bikes to be exposed to it, especially the one with carbon frame !

And forecast is for even hotter next few days.
Then possibility of truckloads of rain from the tail end of the Cyclone up north. :(

am50em

Postby am50em » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:59 pm

Changed the batteries in my 4iiii power meter. Noticed the drive side cover is cracked. Repairing with moldable putty but want a replacement. Quick search and ordered a replacement from DSG Pro. Picked already and awaiting pickup by courier, in under 2 hours. Hopefully final delivery is just as quick.

kilroy

Postby kilroy » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:28 pm

Changed my rear disc rotor from 160mm to 140mm. Easier process than I thought, just had to remove the mounting plate for the 160mm setup and reset the centre of the brake calipers.
2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2; 2021 Trek Powerfly 5.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:44 pm

Bled the rear brake on my commuter, as full travel on the lever was not having any impact for the past week or so. Is good again now.

But I always manage to make a right mess when bleeding brakes - this time everything went to plan except for the syringe hose coming off the bleed nipple while I was squeezing the syringe - of course this meant I shot mineral oil all over my tshirt as if it was a water pistol.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:37 pm

22'd the Merlin. Inadvertently Australia-themed the re-used bar tape by using the current colour of Nitto electrical tape I have at hand.

Mmmmm, dat splay...

I really need to fix the seat post sleeve issue to get this back into higher usage rotation.

Lenham1988

Postby Lenham1988 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:21 pm

I managed to tick of a big ride I've wanted to do today , 200km to fort Nepean from Melbourne and back. Legs are toast 😂

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:29 am

redsonic wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:32 pm
Pulled the cranks off, removed the chainrings, and cleaned them before popping them in to my lbs for the Shimano recall. Apparently, there is a very small de-lamination (one that I didn't see). Getting a new crank, which is kind of a bummer, as I have a spare set of new rings hanging around to put on the original Ultegra one.
While it is up on the stand, I'll give it a service and change the bar tape.
I've got new Dura Ace cranks now as well, my old 9100 power meter cranks have been replaced by Shimano.

The new ones look totally different to the old ones.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:18 pm

Tapped the RD of the Cube flat bar on a pole. I cannot overstate how glancing, gentle and light this tap was. Took a moment to shift down from,2 to 3. Looked down. Bent RD hanger. FFS. Really? I get them being sacrificial, but this was laughably soft. Might machine up a stainless replacement TA hanger.

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:29 am

familyguy wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:18 pm
Tapped the RD of the Cube flat bar on a pole. I cannot overstate how glancing, gentle and light this tap was. Took a moment to shift down from,2 to 3. Looked down. Bent RD hanger. FFS. Really? I get them being sacrificial, but this was laughably soft. Might machine up a stainless replacement TA hanger.
"Reinforcing" the hanger might not be a great idea. The hangers are made from a ductile alloy for a reason - to make it the weakest link so it bends before anything else does. I would rather straighten a hanger (probably a 20 minute job at most) than replace all or part of the RD, or even worse have frame damage.

I do agree that perhaps some seem to bend if they are looked at angrily, which is annoying. I suspect that perhaps it is to cope with the increasingly large/long RD mechs (eg. 12 spd) which are more fragile than the older smaller/shorter ones.

I made myself a hanger straightening tool for about $10 (from memory) by following this video. Easy as, and it works a treat. The hardest part was finding the correct bolt & nut (it is a fine thread which is only available at bolt suppliers).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWdO4dnu18g

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:17 pm

Yeah, I've straightened it for now. It's a TA dropout, aluminium frame, so there is so much meat at the interface its not funny. Ordered another. That's 2 hangers I've replaced in 6 months. Or 2 hangers in 30 years, depending on which way you look at it.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:59 am

Rode the Canyon. And had a rear wheel hub start to fail. :(

It went bad very quickly. So only 60km instead of the planned 120km.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:05 pm

Swapped wheels - alloy Fulcrum Racing Zero back on the Canyon. Now silent running. Alloy wheels and Swisstop pads feel very different to carbon wheels for braking. It really stops!

davehirst

Postby davehirst » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:41 pm

Really stopping can come in handy at times

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:48 pm

Swapped the road wheels back into the gravelly.
Yes it really stops well, as I found out recently when a knuclehead started doing a right hand turn in front of me on a downhill 50kmh section. Surprised just how well it stopped from the hoods. :shock: :)
Bigger tyres for more grip and comfort too. On it tomorrow before I head off for another block away.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:16 am

Rode 85km on the Canyon CF Evo with the Fulcrum Racing Zero alloy wheels still on it. Still flies along. :)

That bike is still the best I’ve got. Prefer it to my S5.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:57 pm

Groadie on the road. 28mm front, 31measured fitted. 32mm rear, 35mm fitted.
D fuse seat post that flexes a touch over bumps = super comfy and grippy but only a touch slower than the roadie. Disc brakes too. The TCR is now looking like a wall hanging ornament, similar to the S5 (hasn't been ridden in over 12 months) as my old S5 will only fit narrow tyres. It is fast but harsher to ride.
Got some narrower bars arriving next week. 38cm at the hoods and 41 in the drops.
Wider bars being necessary for gravel bikes is a fallacy ime.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:37 am

Put my Trek SOHO back together and it will be used for paths or the Rail Trail on occasions. Tyres will need replacing I think, so I'll be on the lookout for some 32mm tyres in the tyre specials. Surprisingly the the 6sd hub gears have a nice spacing for flatter rides. I could change low gear by putting a smaller chainring on for a ride that is a bit lumpy. :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:52 pm

New kocevlo bars on the gravello. 38cm c-c at the hoods and 41cm at the drops.
I have dental cover as they are made in China and not a well known brand. Came recommended from the WW forum so we'll see how they go. Seem well made.
Replaces an aluminium goer that was 40cm hoods/45cm drops.
Feels quite good on the short test ride I gave it whilst setting it up.
Torqued it in stages to 4nm.
New bar tape which is BBB race tape. Went on quite well.

Will give it a good test tomorrow on a hunjy ride.

Also changed the rear derailleur cable. Not yet frayed but has done about 10k km. Took a while to get it out of the frame but got there in the end.
A black cable I had in my spares collection. I hope they are not the ones that have a short service life before breaking. The one that came out was silver.
Last edited by warthog1 on Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.