Second hand bicycles.

bushwalker zane

Second hand bicycles.

Postby bushwalker zane » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:53 pm

Hello all Tasmanian riders!

I am interested to know if anyone knows of someone/somewhere in Tassie that sells a lot of second hand bicycles? I'm looking to get a 1980s mountain bike to build into a tourer, and I thought this would be a straight forward process, (what with gumtree and garage sales etc). Alas, finding the right bike for me has proven a lot harder than anticipated!

I am a tall fellow, so this is why I believe I am struggling to find a bike that will fit me (192cm tall with an in-seam of 93cm and lanky arms to suit). I am looking for a bike that is steel, has 26" wheels, and that actually fits me! I have found one the other day that is 58cm seat tube and top tube, but it still feels a bit small.

So, if anyone out there can help, I would be over the moon! I am up Launceston direction, but it has gotten to the point I am willing to go anywhere in the state to get the bike that is right for me!

Peace,
Zane.

rangersac

Re: Second hand bicycles.

Postby rangersac » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:58 am

There are various bike kitchens, and some second hand dealers that sell through gumtree but I'm afraid at your height your choices will be limited. I'd be keeping an eye out Australia wide and asking sellers about shipping if you need it in a hurry
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

bushwalker zane

Postby bushwalker zane » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:09 pm

Yeah, I've been on gumtree almost every day, but it never turns up what I need. I found out about the Hobart bike kitchen and emailed them a few times, but never got a reply. I don't know of any other bike kitchens in Tasmania though, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for the reply,
Zane.

RonK

Second hand bicycles.

Postby RonK » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:41 pm

I assume you are looking second-hand to suit your budget. If you really want an MTB for touring, then it may be less hassle to buy a new frame such as the On-One Inbred, which is available in 26" and 29". Personally I'd go the 29er.

Note these prices are in $US but still cheap even with shipping included, and there will be no import charges since it's well under the $1000 threshold.
Last edited by RonK on Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:24 pm

bushwalker zane wrote:Yeah, I've been on gumtree almost every day, but it never turns up what I need. I found out about the Hobart bike kitchen and emailed them a few times, but never got a reply. I don't know of any other bike kitchens in Tasmania though, do you have any suggestions?
Hobart is the only official one I know of in Tasmania. Men's Sheds sometimes have bikes they sell off, but it's only if and when they come up. I know the Kingborough Men's Shed does bike work so it might be worth getting in touch with them.

A decent 80's steel bike in your size won't be easy to find, as they're both uncommon and quite sought after for the purpose you intend to put it to.

bushwalker zane

Postby bushwalker zane » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:53 pm

rangersac wrote:A decent 80's steel bike in your size won't be easy to find, as they're both uncommon and quite sought after for the purpose you intend to put it to.
Yeah, I have found that out. I have been looking for quite some time now. I'll shoot off a phone call to some of the mens sheds in my area.

master6

Postby master6 » Sun May 04, 2014 7:21 pm

I am a member of the Sorell Mens Shed Bwz, and we frequently have bikes for sale, however I have not noticed anything that would suit a 193cm rider. Perhaps you should be talking to people at basketball clubs LOL :D

Have you thought of joining your local Mens Shed, and building your own. A mig welder, a collection of old frames, angle grinder, and you can have any size bike you like.

I will keep an eye on the bike collection, and let you know if anything "big" turns up.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Wed May 21, 2014 12:13 pm

Zane, in case you are still looking this might fit the bill