e-bikes:views and reviews

Joeblake

Re: e-bikes:views and reviews

Postby Joeblake » Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:14 am

To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:17 am

To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:19 pm

I know E-bikes are becoming more popular each day but despite their popularity, there's also a few cons that come with them, especially that of the Lithium Batteries used to power them.
I just seen on the news tonight that a house in Melbourne was the latest victim to a fire that was caused by a Lithium Battery from an E-Bike.
They didn't elaborate whether it was still on the bike or on getting charged and it claimed the house.

Things to consider I guess, having to keep and eye on those Batteries whilst they're on charge, not charging overnight or if out of the house.

Will insurance Companies clamp down on claims resulting in faulty Lithium Batteries leaving you financially ruined if your house burns down?

Should there be major concern?
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:21 pm

brumby33 wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:19 pm
I know E-bikes are becoming more popular each day but despite their popularity, there's also a few cons that come with them, especially that of the Lithium Batteries used to power them.
I just seen on the news tonight that a house in Melbourne was the latest victim to a fire that was caused by a Lithium Battery from an E-Bike.
They didn't elaborate whether it was still on the bike or on getting charged and it claimed the house.

Things to consider I guess, having to keep and eye on those Batteries whilst they're on charge, not charging overnight or if out of the house.

Will insurance Companies clamp down on claims resulting in faulty Lithium Batteries leaving you financially ruined if your house burns down?

AFAIK all these fires have been caused by 'no name' brand batteries and/or chargers or using a cheapo 'no name' charger with a branded battery.
Buy a decent brand motor/battery setup (Bosch/Fazua or whatever) and use the charger made or recommended by that brand and you should be right.
If you buy a new, quality e-Bike the proper basic charger should come with the bike. The optional fast chargers are often not cheap, the fast charger for our Bosch setups was around $250 IIRC but has payed for itself in convenience and serviceability over the last couple of years.

Richard

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:03 am

Bertrand Russell

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:30 am

Bertrand Russell

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:32 am

Bertrand Russell

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:42 am

Bertrand Russell

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:11 am

Bertrand Russell

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:28 am

Bertrand Russell

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:11 am

Bertrand Russell

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:58 am

Bertrand Russell

open roader

Postby open roader » Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:59 pm

brumby33 wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:19 pm

Insurance companies will use any and every excuse/reason to continue growing their revenue stream whilst tightening their payout stream.

I can't comment on recent eBike lithium battery fires - were the bikes/scooters still charging or simply spontaneous combustion happening - I can't find the relevant info either.

However, I think lithium battery fire reporting is largely overblown and somewhat sensationalised and eBikes being the new kid on the block makes it a natural target to scrutinise.

I figure there are literally hundreds of thousands of power tool and other devices with lithium batteries being charged / discharged daily. If the reporting is anything to go by my guess is that lithium battery fire events are minimal compared to the number of batteries actively being used in society. I recall a while back it was mobile phone battery fires that pricked the media's attention, they seem to have moved onto eBikes / eScooters now.

Either way we have to stop giving big insurance a stick to beat us with. We need clear reporting, recording and access to lithium battery fire statistics, media driven hysteria or otherwise is not a good tool but will be used by the insurance industry to avoid fulfilling their primary function.

There are 3 eBikes and 5 lithium power tool batteries in my shed. I only charge them when I'm pottering about close by. I don't believe a charging fire is likely on any of my batteries but it's cheap insurance to only charge when you are around to keep an eye out.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:32 am

Bertrand Russell

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:32 am

Bertrand Russell

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:34 am

Bertrand Russell

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:37 am

Bertrand Russell

am50em

Postby am50em » Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:41 pm

Came across this https://bimotal.com/

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:06 pm

am50em wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:41 pm
Came across this https://bimotal.com/
Hidden away in the info is that its 750w, throttle only, so in no way legal in Aus
Anything you can do, I can do slower

am50em

Postby am50em » Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:55 pm

My reading of it is that it is aimed at mountain bikes so maybe in that environment it is permissible.
Being easily removable would allow your bike to be street legal as required.

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:19 am

Bertrand Russell

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:35 am

Bertrand Russell

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:36 am

Bertrand Russell

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:56 am

Bertrand Russell

andrei

Postby andrei » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:52 am

I don't know whether this deserves its own topic, but coincidentally got two emails today about trying an e-bike.

First from Bicycle NSW

Saturday 2 September from 10am to 4pm

https://whatson.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au ... skineville

And second from 99 Bikes, thought it might've been related to the first but seems they're holding their own event.

Sydney 21-22 October 9AM - 3PM at Wentworth Common, SOP (check the link for dates in other States)

https://www.99bikes.com.au/electric-bik ... dates-expo

Ha I reckon Canberra would be perfect for an e-bike.