Beach Rd on the weekends?

zill

Re: Beach Rd on the weekends?

Postby zill » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:19 pm

djw47 wrote:
You do realise that not everybody who rides a bike is doing it because they are wanting to compete don't you?
Offcourse and lots of the time, they are not able to but if they are capable and especially if they are young, will be tempting not to compete.

V8rider

Postby V8rider » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:36 pm

Keep working at it zill. I think you should be keeping your kms the same but knocking off about 5 hours from your average weekly load.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:48 pm

zill wrote:Thought if someone from behind bumped you, they would be more at risk of going down.
Correct, there is a higher risk of the back rider going down with a touch of wheels but doesn't mean the front rider can't go down if hit hard enough!

What if they aren't concentrating or at their limit trying to hold your wheel? What if you have to avoid a car pulling out, door opening or brake suddenly? High odds of going down if rammed from behind!

Then there is having to signal obstacles to a rider I didn't ask to ride with. I am riding by myself because I want to focus on my session and not interact with others. Once they sit on I am obliged to signal for the rider behind...

zill

Postby zill » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:08 pm

V8rider wrote:knocking off about 5 hours from your average weekly load.
Why is that? Is it because of risk of fatigue?

SuperSix

Postby SuperSix » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:22 pm

zill wrote:
V8rider wrote:knocking off about 5 hours from your average weekly load.
Why is that? Is it because of risk of fatigue?
No he is saying you should be doing 350km in 12 hours instead of 17. You need to go faster. 20kmh isn't going to win any B grade races. Not even a mtb race.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:42 pm

zill wrote:
RonK wrote:
zill wrote: But also the same B grader with a (last) two year average of 250km/week and 350km+/week average for this year so far.
Yeah, that's pretty average...I'd expect B graders to be doing more.
Given that most of my riding is done alone, kms are harder to come by since my speeds will be slower. How about another stat, 17 hours average on the bike per week so far this year.
So you average at best 20 kph?

You are in B grade?

You can hit 80 kph in Beach Road?

Something does not compute.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

zill

Postby zill » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:03 pm

RonK wrote:

So you average at best 20 kph?

You are in B grade?

You can hit 80 kph in Beach Road?

Something does not compute.

I actually do a bit more than 350km/ week this year but most of the riding I do is alone and I do a slow warm up and warm down. Also those kms include my slow computes. Note that I don't have a car so do most of my travelling on the bike which are included in those 350+km.

Thanks for pointing these things out. Now I realize why I am spending so much more time on the bike compared to other riders. It really is a big part of my life.

The 80 kph was a mistake on Strava as I have pointed out already.

defy1

Postby defy1 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:06 pm

man 20kph avg even including a bunch commutes, warmups, intervals etc.. is really slow for a B grader.

80kph was a strava error but you BELIEVED it was correct.

zill

Postby zill » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:31 pm

defy1 wrote:man 20kph avg even including a bunch commutes, warmups, intervals etc.. is really slow for a B grader.

I actually average just under 22kph but yes it's low. Also I was riding softly for two months during my injury as well.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:05 pm

zill wrote:
defy1 wrote:man 20kph avg even including a bunch commutes, warmups, intervals etc.. is really slow for a B grader.

I actually average just under 22kph but yes it's low. Also I was riding softly for two months during my injury as well.
Well, I average 22kpm on my touring bike around town.
Perhaps I should go by the local crit track, with racks, mudguards and all - and put the B-graders to the sword. :lol:

zill

Postby zill » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:38 pm

defy1 wrote: 80kph was a strava error but you BELIEVED it was correct.

Shows that I also usually don't pedal hard downhill hence the lower average speed. Also this makes sense as when I do pedal hard downhill, don't have a good intuition of the speed I am able to achieve hence my error in judgement.

zill

Postby zill » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:41 pm

RonK wrote:
zill wrote:

Well, I average 22kpm on my touring bike around town.
Perhaps I should go by the local crit track, with racks, mudguards and all - and put the B-graders to the sword. :lol:
Haha doesn't work like that. I'm sure you could achieve a high speed cruising at constant speeds around town. On my off days, I am in the small chain ring on my commuter, as well as warm ups and warm downs.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:53 am

zill wrote: Haha doesn't work like that. I'm sure you could achieve a high speed cruising at constant speeds around town. On my off days, I am in the small chain ring on my commuter, as well as warm ups and warm downs.
This thread just gets funnier and funnier. As much as i find it amusing, Zill mate, you gotta stop this crap, it will realyl stuff you in life.

Small ring around town and you B grade? Unless you commuter weights 50kg, then you are not a B grader. Heck I can ride a single speed around town very comfrotably (46/16) and I am C/D grade. You are supposedly B grade but running the small ring? C'mon mate, it's been fun but you're only making it worse.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

ComradeSpear

Postby ComradeSpear » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:08 am

There are two possibilities here:
1- Zill is deluded to the extreme
2- Zill is having fun with some warranted observations about cyclists (the show ponies in particular)

I believe he’s going for #2 for troll bait because if he’s not … then he has some serious calibrations he needs to make (i) literally to his equipment and/or (ii) figuratively to his expectations.

Loving this thread though and good luck Zill!

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:53 am

Calvin27 wrote: Small ring around town and you B grade? Unless you commuter weights 50kg, then you are not a B grader. Heck I can ride a single speed around town very comfrotably (46/16) and I am C/D grade.
Maybe that is why you are still in C/D grade? I commute fixed but only 42/16... I race A grade on the track and CX, last time on road I was still rolling around in B but haven't bothered racing road for a few years... :wink:

There is benefit of riding your hard sessions hard but easy sessions easy. Too many people ride in the mushy middle. Too easy for adaptions but too hard all the time to recover properly. 8)

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:10 am

dalai47 wrote:
There is benefit of riding your hard sessions hard but easy sessions easy. Too many people ride in the mushy middle. Too easy for adaptions but too hard all the time to recover properly. 8)
Agree. Average speeds are no indication of ability. I know a guy who rides NRS and he trains most ofr the time at 24kph. He does big k's and does other efforts but that is his normal cruising speed.
Not hard to have a low average especially if you are stop-starting at lots of red lights.

Back on topic though, the only way to prove you can ride is to pin on a number and go and race other people in a proper race. What you can do on Beach road, a strava segment, or on a trainer doesnt mean a thing.

cameronp

Postby cameronp » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:38 am

Derny Driver wrote:Back on topic though, the only way to prove you can ride is to pin on a number and go and race other people in a proper race.
I disagree. The only way to prove you can ride is to hop on a bike for a while and come back home with a massive grin on your face because bikes are awesome ;) I have a lot of respect for riders who race but it's not the only way to enjoy cycling.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:52 am

cameronp wrote:I disagree. The only way to prove you can ride is to hop on a bike for a while and come back home with a massive grin on your face because bikes are awesome ;) I have a lot of respect for riders who race but it's not the only way to enjoy cycling.
That isn't the point of this post. The OP is intentionally wanting to ride Beach road and race people who aren't in a race...

cameronp

Postby cameronp » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:00 pm

dalai47 wrote:That isn't the point of this post. The OP is intentionally wanting to ride Beach road and race people who aren't in a race...
And if he enjoys doing that, what's the problem?

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:03 pm

cameronp wrote:
dalai47 wrote:That isn't the point of this post. The OP is intentionally wanting to ride Beach road and race people who aren't in a race...
And if he enjoys doing that, what's the problem?
There's no problem. It just doesnt prove anything about your ability.

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:04 pm

If this a troll thread I take my hat off because there is no way I could make this kind of stuff up.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:04 pm

Bluejay87 wrote:
zill wrote:You people can mock me here but when on the road, I'm sure most will not be able to resist the urge to race.
I agree, especially if I got the 'Zill look'!
Giving the 'look', on not the 2% Beach Road hill climb.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:33 pm

dalai47 wrote:
Calvin27 wrote: Small ring around town and you B grade? Unless you commuter weights 50kg, then you are not a B grader. Heck I can ride a single speed around town very comfrotably (46/16) and I am C/D grade.
Maybe that is why you are still in C/D grade? I commute fixed but only 42/16... I race A grade on the track and CX, last time on road I was still rolling around in B but haven't bothered racing road for a few years... :wink:
Haha, I meant fixed, my bike is a track bike (insert secret handshake...) :P. I'm in C/D grade (only raced track btw) because I don't give a stuff, drink lots of beer and pork belly and prefer to ride MTB. I would race more road, but I dislike the CA membership costing so much. Even then I don't see anyone rolling around on the small ring around town.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

kb

Postby kb » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:36 pm

Calvin27 wrote:
dalai47 wrote:
Haha, I meant fixed, my bike is a track bike (insert secret handshake...) :P. I'm in C/D grade (only raced track btw) because I don't give a stuff, drink lots of beer and pork belly and prefer to ride MTB. I would race more road, but I dislike the CA membership costing so much. Even then I don't see anyone rolling around on the small ring around town.
I do the occasional small ring commute. Speed is about the same, your legs just move more quickly.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:59 pm

zill wrote:
RonK wrote:
zill wrote: But also the same B grader with a (last) two year average of 250km/week and 350km+/week average for this year so far.
Yeah, that's pretty average...I'd expect B graders to be doing more.
Given that most of my riding is done alone, kms are harder to come by since my speeds will be slower. How about another stat, 17 hours average on the bike per week so far this year.
That.

That was the point at which you either made a big mistake, or laid some excellent bait :lol:

Either way, you're the gift that keeps on giving. Go hard Zill :D

Warm downs..... :lol: :lol: Good onya.

P.S.......you're comments on relationships give you away a little. :wink: