Postby Mazdaboy81 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:07 pm

Are the Trek hybrids a good option or is Giant/kona better

10speedsemiracer

Re: Buying a bike: Some general advice for new riders

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:05 pm

Mazdaboy81 wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:07 pm
Are the Trek hybrids a good option or is Giant/kona better
Too general a question to answer with any clarity, need to know model/budget, expected usage etc.

FWIW the Treks seem to be just that little bit more expensive than the equivalent Giant. Kona pricing is all over the shop but the Dew-Dew Plus-Dr Dew bikes are very capable, if a bit pricey.

I'm actually doing a rebuild of an older Dr Dew for someone at the moment. Good bike, comfy geometry.

Lots of Trek Fx bikes are bought as commuters and although I actually think the Cross City is a better deal. In the end, a test ride should sort out which is right for you...
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Mazdaboy81

Postby Mazdaboy81 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:24 am

Cheers. If I step it up a bit the Trek X1 is an option grom Galleria in Ringwood

Mazdaboy81

Postby Mazdaboy81 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:31 pm

Picked up a specialized Sirrius crew.

Coffee_Jimmy

Postby Coffee_Jimmy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:42 am

Guys, new to the forum and starting to get back in to riding again.
Rode mtb for a few years back last century before kids.
Now the kids want to go for rides and I've started doing longer rides 2 days a week.
Currently riding a Giant STP0 from 2005. Old and heavy. The forks alone are over 3kg.

Seeing I'm well past my jumping days im looking for something that will suit road and bike paths around the eastern suburbs of Melbourne. Currently doing approx 22 to 34ks each ride at an average speed of 20kph.

Hopefully getting something more road oriented would reduce those times and when possible to suit the commute from Knoxfield in the city a couple times a week.

Looking at the Giant Fastroad SL1 and have my name down at Cognition Cycles at Knox for the next large frame one to come in.
I've never ridden a flat bar before so will test ride before purchasing.
Just wondering what peoples thought are on this bike.
Is it suitable for what I'm wanting to do?
Looking around the $1500 mark.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Jimmy.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:59 am

I think the Fastroad is a good option, but you could also turn your attention to the endurance geometry Defy frame and pick whichever model fits your budget although you may need to squish a few more $s into the equation. A Defy running 105 and 28mm tyres with good brakes is a good fast commuter option.

Only reason I say this is that a flatbar over that distance may, over time, not give you enough riding positional options.

Just an example though, there are plenty of options out there.

Coffee_Jimmy

Postby Coffee_Jimmy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:51 pm

Thanks for the reply 10speed.

Not really keen on a drop bar though plus the price of the lowest spec defy is above my bike budget.
Keen to hear from anyone running a Fastroad at the moment.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:43 am

Coffee_Jimmy wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:51 pm
Thanks for the reply 10speed.

Not really keen on a drop bar though plus the price of the lowest spec defy is above my bike budget.
Keen to hear from anyone running a Fastroad at the moment.
No problem.

I've ridden a couple, and also hooked someone up with a Sora-spec Fastroad (SL2 ?) recently, and that is a very capable unit for whatever they paid ($1100-1150) but your budget will allow you to grab the SL1 which is a Shimano 105 drivetrain with hydraulic disc brakes and 32mm tyres, so will be comfortable on Melbourne roads/paths, have decent braking and be decently quick.

There are one or two compromises, such as a non-Shimano crankset (FSA) and brakes (Tektro) however these are easily resolved by replacement with the appropriate Shimano items as parts wear out.
Fastroad SL1

Notwithstanding all of that, is a very capable bike for the money.

Coffee_Jimmy

Postby Coffee_Jimmy » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:56 pm

After painfully doing 46ks on my Dirtjumper on WednesdayI went and laid down a deposit the same day on the new Fastroad SL1.
Should be coming in a few weeks.

Something i need to consider is pedals. What do people recommend?
Thinking of going some nice flat pedals as I've never ridden clip in.
Idea is that I'll one day commute the 35ks from home into the city.
Currently doing 25-35ks 2 days a week which i will increase to 4 days a week when the days get longer.

pearso24

Postby pearso24 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:51 pm

Hi All,

I'm considering purchasing a hybrid/commuter bike for fitness and then eventually commuting about 15km to work once we return (live in Melbourne). Currently I ride anywhere from 8 to 18kms most days for fitness while at home, mainly along bike paths and the road.

I've been reading a fair bit about the different options available (hybrid v flat bar road bike) and have been researching bikes in the sub $1,000 range from the Merida Speeder to the Reid Urban series, Marin Fairfax series, Trek FX etc etc.

My dilemma is that I'm a bigger guy being about 188cm, and 115kgs and I've got pretty thick quads so that might impact seat selection. I noticed Reid indicate a max weight of 100kg but also to "contact them" for a discussion, but many others do not list a max weight that I can see.

I currently have an old Raleigh RS 2000 which is doing the job reasonably well. I think it has a steel frame, but it was purchased in 2000 so I'm not really sure of all the components except that I see that a lot of them are shimano. It was kept in a garage for most of the last 10-15yrs with not much use during that time. COVID has changed all of that but I think the bike needs a fairly decent service given there is some build up of dirt through the drivetrain.

Anyway, I'm not sure if it is worth just getting a full service on the bike while replacing the tyres (they are starting become frayed in some places), or in terms of bang for buck it might be better to purchase a new bike given the age of the components etc.

Cheers

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:47 pm

I'm vaguely familiar with the Raleigh you're talking about. I think I've refurbished one for someone...I think.

If you've been looking at rim braked bikes, then you'll find very little difference in the ride experience between the new bike and the Raleigh if refurbished.

Your Raleigh should be a Shimano 3x8sp Deore (?) drivetrain with Shimano linear-pull brakes (V-brakes). The only downside to the Raleigh is (if yours has this) the relatively cheap coil-sprung front fork.

When refurbished, your Shimano 8sp drivetrain would feel extremely similar to the 8sp you'd find on a sub-$1000 hybrid and better than the 7sp crap you'd find on others. The difference will be if you were able to sneak a decent hydraulic disc brake set up into the equation without compromising the rest of the bike's spec. Mechanical (cable activated) discs don't really count as an upgrade btw (imo).

I'd wonder if your Raleigh may only need a chain clean/re-lube and a general tune with some new brake pads. All could be done for not many $s. Could fit some road-friendly tyres in 26x1.75 for not many more $s which will make it nicer to ride on pavement/bike paths.
Personally, I'd explore that avenue first. We know the Raleigh fits you and you already have it.

If doing a light refurb (I do a lot of these), and barring any expenditure for things like bottom brackets or cogs, I'd plan for :

Chain - degrease and re-lube of not stretched, replace if stretched ($30)
Cables - Remove-replace cables and cable housing - ($30)
Brake pads - fit a pair of Shimano pads ($15)
Tyres - Maxxis Overdrive (just an example) commuter tyres in 26x1.75" ($70)

So all up (parts prices above are approximate) the Raleigh could be given a light refurb for $150-ish.

Could even go nuts and fit some ergo grips, but we'll leave the hedonism for later... :D

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:21 pm

If you do buy a new bike make sure it is heavy duty. I currently weigh just over 100Kg, added a bit since working from home. I used to weigh more and broke spokes like crazy. Might be worth looking for a bike with wider wheels so they can handle the weight. If you buy a bike with 700c wheels make sure it has a lot of spokes, I would say at least 32 - I just ended up replacing my wheels with ProLite Como tandem wheels but that ain't cheap.

The Raleigh might be the best option since it sounds fairly strong and rugged.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

pearso24

Postby pearso24 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:56 am

Thanks both for your comments. I've also put on a few extra kgs since COVID but have a body type that means even when I'm fit (e.g. running 5km in 23mins) I'm still over 100kg, so the points about equipment for my weight are appreciated because it isn't going away anytime soon.

Some further details:

Brakes - are indeed Shimano V-brakes on the rim. I've been told disc brakes would be better for stopping consistency in all weather conditions, so will explore that.
Wheels - Araya VP-20 (26x1.50) - 36 spokes
Tyres - Vee Rubber V212 26 x 1.75
Rear Derailer - all I can see is that it says Shimano SIS
It's a 21 speed bike

The other thing I'd like to explore is getting a new saddle and potentially one that can provide some cushioning over bumps. I have been told that snout nosed saddle would be good for my body type. I'm guess that its one thing you just need to try and see how you go.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:51 pm

Honestly, I'd stick with the Raleigh for now. Get it serviced and replace anything that needs replacing and it will run well. The v-brakes will be pretty good in whatever weather - not as good as discs, but good enough.

pearso24

Postby pearso24 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:49 pm

Thanks for all the advice.

After considering what upgrading to hydraulic disc brakes would require I quickly realised that a new wheel set, tyres, and of course the brakes purchased and the labour for it all (plus the service) would basically be around the same price as an entry level hybrid that already has hydraulic disc brakes equipped.

I'm going to email a few places and see what they would quote for a decent service plus updates to the tyres and brakepads. Then, we'll see how that all goes before I get upgraditis, which I hear can happen a bit once you ride regularly...

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:23 pm

I have V Brakes on both of my bikes. Most years, well except this year, my main riding is commuting every day. Yes, V Brakes, since they are rim brakes, are less effective in the wet. But, I find that after about 2 stops they are fine even in pouring rain, I have yet to be caught short. Rim brakes are a far cry from the useless brakes on smooth chrome rims I had as a kid, they really were useless. V Brakes work very well in my experience. I'm sure discs are better but that doesn't mean V Brakes aren't also good.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

pearso24

Postby pearso24 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:48 am

Hi All,

Just an update from me. After hearing some consistent noise in the bike I took it down to a Local Bike Shop to get an estimate on the service plus upgrades previously mentioned. Cycles Galleria basically said it needed a full service plus potentially another 30% for replacement parts (tyres/tubes/cables). So in short about $500.

So I started on the journey of looking at some second hand bikes because economically it made no sense to spend that much on the service/upgrade. Last night was my first test ride and I tried a 2020 Giant Cross City 2 Equipped last night and just wanted to ask a few questions.

The bike had everything I wanted, hydraulic disc brakes, pannier rack and guards installed, bottle holder, plus from all I've read it was a good bike for commuting. We had some problems getting the saddle set to the right height (neither of us had an allen key handy) but even during the ride, it just didn't feel how I was hoping, from the handlebars feeling wider, to my position in the saddle not feeling quite right and then the balance of the bike. I'm a big guy as I've previously mentioned (115kgs, 188cms) so I'm wondering if that changes what I should be looking for. As indicated earlier, my current Raleigh bike is about 20yrs old, heavier, stiffer going over bumps etc, but just feels more solid underneath me while riding.

Does this suggest I might be better off looking at a heavier bike vs a lighter one? Could it be because I'm used to a 26" wheel set vs a 700cc?

As a comparison, I just rode my wifes Merida Crossway 10 (purchased a couple of months ago) with the seat a fair way up and that felt more comfortable than the Giant. It is probably heavier at the front because of the suspension, so I'm wondering if it's really just about me adjusting to the lighter frames of the newer bikes?

My guess is that it might be best for me to visit a few stores in the new year to get fitted for a bike (if that exists). Any tips would be appreciated.

Cheers.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:36 pm

Well if you can't adjust the seat up or down or back and forth for the test ride, you can't honestly get any idea of how it rides for "your" correct position. 700cc wheels will ride differently to 26" wheels also. Handle bars can be cut narrower also, so you're not comparing app;es with apples. :idea:

Where was the Giant, a private person or a shop, if it was a shop, there's no excuse for not being able to adjust things? :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

pearso24

Postby pearso24 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:36 am

foo on patrol wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:36 pm
Well if you can't adjust the seat up or down or back and forth for the test ride, you can't honestly get any idea of how it rides for "your" correct position. 700cc wheels will ride differently to 26" wheels also. Handle bars can be cut narrower also, so you're not comparing app;es with apples. :idea:

Where was the Giant, a private person or a shop, if it was a shop, there's no excuse for not being able to adjust things? :wink:

Foo
Thanks for your reply Foo. The Giant that I rode was through a private sale, which is why I just walked away from it.

Since my last post I managed to find a used Giant Seek 1 which was in great condition and have been using it as my commuter for the last few months. As soon as I took it for a ride it just felt right. As it was about a 2014 model (I think) it only cost about $300 which enabled me to take it down to the LBS for a full service.

Very happy with it so far, but I fear upgraditis will hit at some point :)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:59 am

8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

computer_athlete

Postby computer_athlete » Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:52 pm

Post edited for (hopefully) clarity and brevity.

Hi all, I'm just looking for an entry-level single speed bike to get my cycling journey started.

For now I will just be commuting around 4km (each way) to work and home, with some trips to the shops on the side.

(Eventually — the plan is — I'll upgrade to something fancier with an internal gear hub, and sometime after that I will start thinking seriously about proper road bikes. But since I have never really ridden properly, and I'm already quite old, I think I should start with something more basic.)

I've already struck a bunch of bikes *off* my list (I now understand that "high tensile steel" might sound nice but...isn't), but I'm still looking for recommendations

I'm quite tempted to just get the Reid Harrier 2.0 new from Reid themselves; I know the build quality is likely to be poor, and the components far from ideal (getting what I pay for, essentially, but it is at least a "chromo" frame and not hi-ten steel, compared to other options at the same price point), but given this is basically my "first bike" I think that's okay? (They also told me they will "fit" the bike to me if I pick it up from their store/warehouse.)

Or should I look elsewhere?

I'm having trouble with Gumtree/FB marketplace because there are so many dodgy-seeming sellers, and I'm not confident at all that I could tell if I was being ripped off.

havok44

Postby havok44 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:57 am

great advice!

Nbeltfire

Postby Nbeltfire » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:36 pm

Admin says: chatbot spammer

GFR

Postby GFR » Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:19 am

Looking for commuter / leisure bike in the $1000 range (plus or minus $200). Mainly riding on roads, pavements and dual use paths, occasional kerb jumps as required.

I would like flat bars, hydraulic disk brakes, internal cabling, no suspension needed. Other than that something relatively light and with decent components - but I am bewildered by huge array of options and have no idea what is important.

Budget is somewhat flexible in either direction if there is a sweet spot for value either above or below my initial target range.

Currently viewing Giant Cross City 2, Merida Speeder 100 or 200 (if I push budget up a bit) and even the cheaper Reid Urban X3 which seems to get marks for value.

2022 Giant CC2 available for $800 from a non-Giant shop while still $999 at all Giant shops.

Comments or advice gratefully received.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:06 am

You've just got to know the level of Shimano components to work out what you're buying. Shimano do not make it easy, but most hybrids will be using entry level components which goes from cheapest to most expensive:

MTB:
Tourney-Altus-Acera-Alivio-Deore.

Road Bike:
Claris-Sora-Tiagra-105-Ultegra-Dura-Ace.

Hybrids/flat bars make it even more confusing because they might use either road or MTB groupsets.

The other variable will be the quality of the disc setup. Shimano are probably preferable to Tektro (though it's not a dealbreaker) and you're definitely right in preferring hydraulic to cable, particularly at that price range.

Once you know that you can better compare value and consider whether it's worth spending more for one over the other.

I can tell you:

Giant Cross City Disc 2: Altus with Tourney FD (no idea why) and Tektro Brakes $800.
Merida Speeder 200: Sora with Tektro brakes $1299.
Reid Urban X3: Deore (3x) with Shimano brakes $849.
Trek FX2: Altus (Acera FD) with Tektro brakes $1099.

So you can see the Reid is substantially cheaper, and running a higher spec groupset. Though it is a Reid, versus the more established brands which is the trade off.

Personally I'd have a look at Polygon:

https://www.bikesonline.com.au/bikes/ci ... ?offset=24

Online business model again, but there's some solid value in there. In particular the Path 2 for $605 with shipping which comes with Altus and Tektro brakes.

https://www.bikesonline.com.au/2023-pol ... -city-bike

A little bit heavier than the Reid and Trek, but for the few hundred dollars I'd probably take that.

Probably safest to treat every bike at this price range as a temporary step on the way to something better. Though it'll likely be perfectly rideable and last many years regardless.

I personally wouldn't spend actual money ($1k+) on anything without Deore or Tiagra minimum. And I wouldn't spend any actual money on Tourney under any circumstances for myself. Kids, yes.