Cure me ... Please ...

Mikka

Cure me ... Please ...

Postby Mikka » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:20 am

OMG .. I've been hanging around bicycles.net.au ... Fine you sez .. wot of it ...

Worse .. I've been reading in the shed ... Fine..you sez ... Wot of it ...

Worse .. I've been reading about wheel building .. Fine you sez.. wot of it ..

Worse .. I've noticed that I can't tension my Deep Vees any more .. or true them ...'coz there's no thread left to turn ... Fine you sez .. wot of it ..

Worse ... I completely disassembled both front and rear ... Fine you sez .. wot of it ..

Worse .. I did the calcs on spoke length and realised the spokes were the right length for Cross 3 .. not Cross 2 as built .. Fine you sez .. Wot of it ..

Worse ... I've greased the nipples, oiled the holes ... and started rebuilding .. Fine you sez... Wot of it ...

Worse .. I've screwed it up .. but now I'm hooked..... CURE ME!!!!!!!

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:09 am

Sheldon on wheel building. Good link for getting your lacing correct.

Mike onwheel building. Good for learning how to build the wheel, including using your bike as a truing stand and what tools to use.

Not a cure, but a temporary treatment. :) Actually, it's really only a free hit to suck you further into your addiction ... :twisted:

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Mikka

Postby Mikka » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:35 am

Kalgrm wrote:Actually, it's really only a free hit to suck you further into your addiction ... :twisted:
Thanks K .. I'm slowly coming to terms with it .. I'm a gonner .... :? Miketech .. that link is great .. Sheldon .. I was following .. but at 1:30 am .. :roll:

geoffs

Postby geoffs » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:07 pm

Roger Musson's e-book is worth buying also

Mikka

Postby Mikka » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:28 pm

Thanks folks.... I've made newbie mistakes ... but the satisfaction of tuning a wheel I've built myself .... Priceless ... :D

I'm addicted ... I'll check re: that e-book .. thanks for heads up ..

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:05 am

Cure you? Of what, a desire to learn, to save money, to make your life better? Are you nuts?

You aren't the first to screw up the spoking during a wheel build, .... so what, undo it & start again.

I am rebuilding a pair that were 36 hole & 4 cross [both wheels] which was not really a good idea as the spokes were partially resting on the head of the adjacent spoke. [This was a factory job too]
I have successfully converted them to 3 cross with new spokes. Naturally I cocked up the measurement & spoked the rear wheel with overlong 302's not discovering my error until I started to true & tension it.

I figured that 299's would be better but had only 300's in stock & as luck would have it, they proved to be acceptable with no spoke protrusion from the nipple, but even after a dozen wheels or so this year, I still screwed it up.

Like I said, just take it apart & start again, you'll get it right & your chest will quite justly swell with pride when you can say "I did it myself"

Edited to correct abysmal spelling errors.
Last edited by Kid_Carbine on Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.

Mikka

Postby Mikka » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:45 am

Kid_Carbine wrote: Are you nuts?
If you knew me .. you wouldn't ask that question .. 8)

Sounds like you're learning heaps also ... :D

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:26 am

All of us who actually do our own repairs seem to be regarded as nuts by those who would have us follow the mantra of the 'new economy'. Live, Consume, Die.

Screw that, more fun to Live, Learn, Do stuff, & get stuck into it. Bugger this dying bit, I have too much living to do.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.

bowie

Postby bowie » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:05 am

Great links to read :)

I'm keen to give mine a go now :P
b is for bicycle :D

zozza

Postby zozza » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:37 pm

I am only new to replacing broken spokes and trueing my own wheels and I must say it is very satisfying to get it right, the last spoke I broke and changed I didn't even let the air out of the tyre. I have made my own trueing stand and am having thoughts about trying to assemble my own wheels :shock: :D

Mikka

Postby Mikka » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:53 am

zozza wrote: ....am having thoughts about trying to assemble my own wheels :shock: :D
I had to take it to confessional ....

Me: Father .. I'm having these thoughts ....
Priest: Yes .. my son ...
Me: Father .. they're intruding into my everyday activities ..
Priest: Oh Dear ...
Me: Father.... I can't stop thinking about it ... I'm obsessed ...
Priest: Not the cleft ..my son ..
Me: No .. the Deep Vee .. Father ...

Yanno .. just do it .. it's really cool.... I found assembling one side completely .. then doing the other side .. ensured I got the spokes lined up properly .. It was just easier for me ...

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:25 am

zozza wrote:I have made my own trueing stand ....
Well, you're several steps ahead of me there! I just used my bike as a truing stand.

I've made four wheels now and considering another shortly (SS MTB "ENO" hub has caught my eye ... :oops: and now - coincidently - my freewheel bearings are making a bad noise ... :) )

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....