Bike Packing

cranky-1

Bike Packing

Postby cranky-1 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:07 pm

Hi
I like many others have a couple of bikes that are favorites and get much pleasure from their use. Anyway i have really re fallen in love with the MTB experience and being able to do the gravel paths and out of the way spots just out of Melbourne and am thinking in future of doing one or two day micro tours. Have been looking into bike packing and wonder where in Melbourne i can get the largish frame bag/store that fits on the inner of the frame from between the top of the frame to bottom bracket Something along this line? http://salsacycles.com/culture/gear_lis ... cking_trip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dalai47

Re: Bike Packing

Postby dalai47 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:32 pm

Abbotsford cycles and Commutercycles stock Revelate designs gear...

cranky-1

Postby cranky-1 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:35 pm

dalai47 wrote:Abbotsford cycles and Commutercycles stock Revelate designs gear...
Super thanks mate.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:01 pm

And if Revelate don't have a bag to fit your frame, you can get one made by BikeBagDude.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

cranky-1

Postby cranky-1 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:30 pm

RonK wrote:And if Revelate don't have a bag to fit your frame, you can get one made by BikeBagDude.
Thanks for that Ron. I did check out that web site a little while ago but its looking as though Abbotsford Cycles have all that i will need so maybe going on down that path. Anyway thanks for that mate.

RonK

Bike Packing

Postby RonK » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:07 pm

I think Revelate bags offer the best value anyway, so way to go if they have one that fits your frame.

On fitting, I read somewhere that it better if the bag is slightly smaller so the bag is under some tension than have a bag that is too bug and floppy. Seems to make sense.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:01 pm

One thing I have noticed with the Revelate bags is that they leave a gap at the bottom.

Where as my Bike Bag Dude bags fill the whole frame.

tmac100

Postby tmac100 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:38 am

Your header brought a smile to my (old) face). Trust me, after doing PER-ADL this past July-Aug, I DO BELIEVE that a gap on the bottom can be incredibly comfortable....
Apoloigies to those who may mis-interpret my (mis) interpretation of Australian English. :shock:
Onward - on a bicycle, that is!

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:41 am

That used to be mentioned somewhere on their website, that they're trying to avoid the bottom of the bag fouling the pedalling. They also put extra vertical support in the larger sizes of bag. For those brands that don't do this then sure you'll get that little extra big of storage but you have to ask what measure that they take to ensure that their bags doesn't get a plum bum or balloon out. The same goes with the advice of getting a size of bag that is slightly smaller, at least it shouldn't balloon out and rub your legs as you pedal.

Designing the bags is more fun than making them.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:20 am

Mine have a strap at the bottom that pulls it in tight to stop that happening.

gcouyant

Postby gcouyant » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:51 am

cranky-1 wrote: Have been looking into bike packing and wonder where in Melbourne i can get the largish frame bag/store that fits on the inner of the frame from between the top of the frame to bottom bracket Something along this line?
Cranky, if you have a favourite frame and you're keen to get out and make the most out of bike packing then it's worth the effort to set it all up and to eliminate hassle. Taking into account weather and the configuration and operation of that particular bicycle. Also, longevity of detail things like zippers that remain water tight after a thousand zips. Stuff that you'd never think of until after you use the bag - like internal material of the right colour so that you can find that little thing in the bag without emptying everything. Another surprise is how slippery the internal material is so that as you pull something out, the bag and the rest of the load doesn't want to come with it. I could go on.

So far, the only brand of product that has ticked all of those boxes for us is a good Aussie product that Muggles mentioned. Bike Bag Dude manufactures bike storage stuff specifically for each application. Can't recommend the product highly enough - every time it's used.

The other good thing is that you can keep adding bits as needed. And then fill it....
George from iSi Advanced Bicycle Carrier Systems

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:08 pm

Mugglechops wrote:One thing I have noticed with the Revelate bags is that they leave a gap at the bottom.

To be fair, that is one difference between a standard Revelate size and a custom made BBD bag.

The other difference is that you pay a lot more money to have that little extra BBD bag.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:47 pm

RonK wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:One thing I have noticed with the Revelate bags is that they leave a gap at the bottom.

To be fair, that is one difference between a standard Revelate size and a custom made BBD bag.

The other difference is that you pay a lot more money to have that little extra BBD bag.
I paid $250 for mine. The same price that Abbortsford Cycles charge for a Revelate.

The green one he gave me for free. Can't see Revelate giving out free stuff.

RonK

Bike Packing

Postby RonK » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:59 pm

Mugglechops wrote:
RonK wrote:

I paid $250 for mine. The same price that Abbortsford Cycles charge for a Revelate.

Lucky you. BBD's current price for a three zip bag with divider is $340. Somehow I doubt he's gonna give away a free frame bag to every customer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:11 pm

Mugglechops wrote:I paid $250 for mine. The same price that Abbortsford Cycles charge for a Revelate.

I got one his bags ... I was given free postage and a t-shirt. Nice personal service which worked for me and nice to support a local business.

Andrew

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:22 pm

Aushiker wrote:

I got one his bags ... I was given free postage and a t-shirt. Nice personal service which worked for me and nice to support a local business.

Andrew
Exactly. I am happy to pay a little more for good service and to buy Aussie made.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:45 pm

Mugglechops wrote:
Aushiker wrote:

Andrew
Exactly. I am happy to pay a little more for good service and to buy Aussie made.
A little more would be fine - a lot more and no thanks.
I wanted to buy three of BBD's Anything cage bags, but $90 each he's just not in the race.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:57 pm

Yeah some things are pricey.

AlexHuggs

Postby AlexHuggs » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:32 pm

So what's the deal with not running rear panniers with bikepacking?

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:12 pm

AlexHuggs wrote:So what's the deal with not running rear panniers with bikepacking?
If you did that you wouldn't have a reason for buying new stuff
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

AlexHuggs

Postby AlexHuggs » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:12 pm

KenGS wrote:
AlexHuggs wrote:So what's the deal with not running rear panniers with bikepacking?
If you did that you wouldn't have a reason for buying new stuff
Lol. I've learned about that pretty quickly. Cycling is worse than electronics.

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:45 pm

Its to do with where you can take the bike. Single track is where it really becomes necessary to ditch the panniers.

AlexHuggs

Postby AlexHuggs » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:52 pm

BenGr wrote: Its to do with where you can take the bike. Single track is where it really becomes necessary to ditch the panniers.
Ah, makes sense. Thank you.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:02 pm

Ranger but not Ripio. Be happy.