Bike chain lube (quick question)

Nazar

Bike chain lube (quick question)

Postby Nazar » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:53 pm

Prior to getting into MTBing I was using wd40 or engine oil (unused) :roll:

Friend gave me some squirt wax based long lasting dry lube, went to get some more but the shop owner said "these ones don't wash off in water (as winter is coming) these ones are better", there was a variety at the same price...

What would be recommended ? (This forum is such a good knowledge base :D

rangersac

Re: Bike chain lube (quick question)

Postby rangersac » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:08 pm

In the dry a wax based lube is preferable as it will pick up less crap that is kicked up whilst you are riding, but the LBS advice is correct for wet conditions. You'll want a heavier oil based lube as it won't get washed out of the chain so quickly.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

tron07

Postby tron07 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:53 pm

I too use wd40, sewing machine or engine oil when the bicycle is just to go around the block or to the shops few blocks away. after getting a road bike i use Rock n Roll gold now.

Nazar

Postby Nazar » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:25 pm

tron07 wrote:I too use wd40, sewing machine or engine oil when the bicycle is just to go around the block or to the shops few blocks away. after getting a road bike i use Rock n Roll gold now.
Ya, Once I changed from oil I noticed how much gunk was stuck on, especially the hangers - really trying to look after my bike now :D

Nazar

Postby Nazar » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:28 pm

rangersac wrote:In the dry a wax based lube is preferable as it will pick up less crap that is kicked up whilst you are riding, but the LBS advice is correct for wet conditions. You'll want a heavier oil based lube as it won't get washed out of the chain so quickly.
Any recommendations for oil based ? Or they all pretty much the same?

CoffsGal

Postby CoffsGal » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:32 pm

Bike chain lube (quick question) ...

This can never be a quick question :roll: . Everyone has a different opinion and will likely repeat the thousands of replies seen in the other multiple 'what chain lube' threads.

In any case, most advice will be wrong, and my advice will be best :wink: , so here it is...
Lanotec, a lanolin (sheep wool grease) based lube. It is quite water resistant and is quite economical to use due to its low price per litre.
http://lanotec.com.au/product/heavy-dut ... d-lanolin/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I originally used Rock'n'Roll Gold, then realised it contained mostly a non lubricating thinner to enhance cleaning and penetration.
Next was Tri Flow, which I still think is a great lube, but is expensive and doesn't last in wet weather.
Now it is Lanotec every 100km or so (it's cheap). I just made it to 10,000km on my last Ultegra chain before it reached the .75% limit. (I do wipe the chain and jockey wheels after every ride)
Last edited by CoffsGal on Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:51 pm

Oooh, chain lube duel! :mrgreen:
Regulars will know what's coming...

Purple Extreme.
~500kms all weather commuting and I got this...
Designed for use on offshore oil rigs, the bloke who had a lightbulb moment and said "bikes!" is on my hero list.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:19 pm

Dry weather -> dry lube.

Wet weather -> wet lube.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:39 pm

Squirt all year in all conditions. You need to apply it to a dry chain. Works well for me.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:56 pm

Nazar wrote:Any recommendations for oil based ? Or they all pretty much the same?
I've been using Morgan Blue Race Oil for this summer, it stays on a very long time and isn't attracting much dirt. Yet to test in wet conditions. So far, I'm impressed.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:16 pm

Chain about 750kms after last lube - Purple Extreme.

New chain after about 1,000kms since first fitting - no Purple Extreme yet. Maker's grease + Chainglider.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

webx007

Postby webx007 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:36 pm

Squirt! Cleans easily with warm soap and water, also a lot less toxic than other lubes on the market.
Last edited by webx007 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

piledhigher

Postby piledhigher » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:40 pm

Nazar wrote:Prior to getting into MTBing I was using wd40 or engine oil (unused) :roll:

Friend gave me some squirt wax based long lasting dry lube, went to get some more but the shop owner said "these ones don't wash off in water (as winter is coming) these ones are better", there was a variety at the same price...

What would be recommended ? (This forum is such a good knowledge base :D
Which religion should I choose? (quick question)

Nazar

Postby Nazar » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:46 pm

Wow, thanks heaps,,,, especially the people who gave reasons/explained but especially the pics

I think it will be between lanolin and purple extreme. Will do some research. (For wet weather)

Didn't realise this was a contentious issue, mods feel free to close the thread - I have my answer, thx heaps

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:45 pm

Red Rider wrote:
Nazar wrote:Any recommendations for oil based ? Or they all pretty much the same?
I've been using Morgan Blue Race Oil for this summer, it stays on a very long time and isn't attracting much dirt. Yet to test in wet conditions. So far, I'm impressed.
Report please once things have got wet :)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:49 pm

Nazar wrote:Didn't realise this was a contentious issue, mods feel free to close the thread - I have my answer, thx heaps
Nope, you're sweet mate. It's a fair question and at the rate new product is released it's not a bad idea to add fresh experiences to the body of knowledge.

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011

Nazar

Postby Nazar » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:22 pm

CoffsGal wrote:Bike chain lube (quick question) ...

This can never be a quick question :roll: . Everyone has a different opinion and will likely repeat the thousands of replies seen in the other multiple 'what chain lube' threads.

In any case, most advice will be wrong, and my advice will be best :wink: , so here it is...
Lanotec, a lanolin (sheep wool grease) based lube. It is quite water resistant and is quite economical to use due to its low price per litre.
http://lanotec.com.au/product/heavy-dut ... d-lanolin/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I originally used Rock'n'Roll Gold, then realised it contained mostly a non lubricating thinner to enhance cleaning and penetration.
Next was Tri Flow, which I still think is a great lube, but is expensive and doesn't last in wet weather.
Now it is Lanotec every 100km or so (it's cheap). I just made it to 10,000km on my last Ultegra chain before it reached the .75% limit. (I do wipe the chain and jockey wheels after every ride)
Hmmm was really interested in this product (I am using an iPad) clicked on your link twice (as I wanted to make sure), was redirected to another web page that forced an answer and froze safari until I answered...... "Congratulations apple user" second time I pressed cancel "congratulations something else"
Was interested in lanolin, obviously a scam redirection,,,,, not interested now
Purple extreme it is

edsa

Postby edsa » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:14 am

Not sure why its not working on your ipad.. the link is working on my computer.
http://lanotec.com.au/product/heavy-duty-liquid-lanolin/

alternatively if you have a supercheap auto nearby heres the link to the product
http://search.supercheapauto.com.au/search?w=lanotec" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or Repco

I use it on my cleats and the moving bits on my bikes (pulley wheels, derailleurs, calipers etc)
For chains I use Morgan blue on my weekender and on my commuter (dry wax like squirt, white lightning in summer and finish line wet in winter)

CoffsGal

Postby CoffsGal » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:35 pm

Nazar wrote:
Hmmm was really interested in this product (I am using an iPad) clicked on your link twice (as I wanted to make sure), was redirected to another web page that forced an answer and froze safari until I answered...... "Congratulations apple user" second time I pressed cancel "congratulations something else"
Was interested in lanolin, obviously a scam redirection,,,,, not interested now
Purple extreme it is
The symptoms you describe sound like you have a browser hijacker or other malware. Maybe scan your device with Malwarebytes etc...

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:46 pm

No I got the iPhone spam page too. Perhaps lanotec have lost control of their domain?
piledhigher wrote: Which religion should I choose? (quick question)
Like the chain lube question, this is a complex issue filled with much non-scientific conjecture. Personally, I would say "none of them", but that doesn't mean I don't believe in lubing my chain.

Am yet to try a belt drive bike.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:20 pm

I have been using Purple Extreme but unsure if I have been using enough because it can be a bit noisy at times.

Dry lube is good. Feel like I should use it for the road bike.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:44 pm

link works fine for me on apple laptop.

link goes to ad site on android mobile. This has happened quite a bit. I can't figure out if its ads that only popup on mobile or if its malware/virus of some sort on the mobile.

back on topic, i can confirm squirt pretty much feels like it washes off the minute it sees water. I use a wet lube on the commuter know, but it always looks gummed up with crap. I wipe the outside pretty often but I can't really clean off the gunk in the middle of the chain. Half considering giving it a quick clean with wd40.

Nazar

Postby Nazar » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:47 am

To edsa, thanks for second link - will check it out. Also (on my old bike) kept getting squeakes from suspension until I started oiling the pivot point - thanks for the reminder about oiling other things :)

Went to buy purple extreme from wiggle (only on-line place I can find, as my local has never heard about it) they are sold out for 2-4 weeks..... Is this product realitively new? And where can I get it? eBay is way overpriced.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:21 pm

Hmm..... I have been using it for about 7-8 years, so not a new product. But maybe not popularly used. Try contacting the manufacturers at the Bike Medicine site. Despite appearances of high cost, even at $26 a bottle it works out very good value. They have it for $US13.99 plus shipping.

Order it and wait a little. It's worth it !!
HOW PURPLE EXTREME WORKS
Purple Extreme is a unique, thixotrophic lubricant blended with a solvent carrier. To have Purple Extreme work correctly, first, thoroughly degrease, wash and dry your drivetrain. The cleaner you start, the better it will work.

The average road or mountain bike requires about ¼ ounce per application. Purple Extreme can easily be applied by flowing a small controlled stream onto your chain as the cranks are rotated. The unique carrier in Purple Extreme allows it to flow between all of the parts of the chain. Wipe up the excess with a paper towel or cloth. Remember, it's what's inside the chain that counts.

Clean your drivetrain very thoroughly, before using Purple Extreme!

The solvent in Purple Extreme will dissolve other lubricants and cause them to move to the surface of your chain and cogs. This will make a real mess.

After cleaning, run the chain through your hand. If you see any black film or other deposits coming out of your chain, clean it again. Some lubes are rather stubborn in sticking to metal parts, trapping grit and dirt.

Once Purple Extreme is applied, the carrier evaporates, leaving a tenacious, dry, wax-like film. This non-tacky film effectively minimizes the collection of abrasive road dust, mud, salt or other particles. The extreme pressure properties of Purple Extreme greatly reduce wear and effectively extend equipment life. Purple Extreme can lubricate up to 400°F (after carrying solvent has evaporated) and all the way down to -100°F. Plus, it provides excellent protection against rust and corrosion.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Nazar

Postby Nazar » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:13 am

:) fleabay was about $40, expected to pay about $20, so $25 is ok
Thx will check it out