Harbour Bridge ramp

familyguy

Re: Harbour Bridge ramp

Postby familyguy » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:48 pm

I saw that. Was actually pretty good. I think he overestimates the sway he may have among people who aren't already drinking his bath water/kool-aid.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:32 pm

familyguy wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:48 pm
I saw that. Was actually pretty good. I think he overestimates the sway he may have among people who aren't already drinking his bath water/kool-aid.

I've been giving his bubble inhabitants a bit of a hosing in their "Community Ramp" FB group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/cycleramp

The guy is an amateur with a fatal dose of Dunning Kruger syndrome.

The design project had two phases:
1: Decide strategy: Circular/foldback or linear ramp?
2: Refine the winning strategy with a design competition.

The circular/foldback option had too many issues, not least of which was a massive clash with the Kirribilli Markets held every second weekend at Burton St. Their foldback option adds steeper gradients, tighter turns, and a higher risk of head-on collisions. The linear option mitigates all these issues.

So they've been ruled out already. Yet they keep harping on that because their *specific* option wasn't included in the consultation that we should start over and delay everything by 2 years again ... so that someone else can come along and repeat the trick - "oh, but you didn't consider MY option, so you have to start again." <facepalm>

Would be great if people could provide a bit of help and go in and tell him what they think. Getting a bit lonely.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:07 pm

What a bin fire that one is. Proof, consultation, compliance, standards...what are they?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:54 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:32 pm
I've been giving his bubble inhabitants a bit of a hosing in their "Community Ramp" FB group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/cycleramp
I couldn't see your comments - are they "moderating" any comments he disagrees with or just burying it under a pile of dross
Anything you can do, I can do slower

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:23 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:54 pm
trailgumby wrote:
I couldn't see your comments - are they "moderating" any comments he disagrees with or just burying it under a pile of dross
Put up a comment and see if it disappears
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:28 pm

I can see John's comments. You have to dig to find them as they're generally replies to one of the main drivers posts or comments.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:57 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:54 pm
trailgumby wrote:

I'd say he's censoring. I can see them, which means he has likely hidden them if you can't see them. I've also been blocked from responding for 30 days. Not surprising.

reversebias

Postby reversebias » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:39 am

Notice of heritage application posted at the bottom of the steps this morning, requesting written submissions:

And because they aren't aware of the existence of URL shorteners, here's the link from the notice

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:09 am

There's an email posted on the FB page saying that it will be the lineal design

Timmeh

Postby Timmeh » Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:17 am

Thanks for the letting us know about the heritage application. Geez there's a lot of hoops to jump through. Have sent in a quick email of support.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:56 pm

I've wondered if they made the ramp match the design of the bridge, ie heritage, for example the same railings whether the opposition would shrink or whether there would be no difference in the opposition?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:28 am

mikesbytes wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:56 pm
I've wondered if they made the ramp match the design of the bridge, ie heritage, for example the same railings whether the opposition would shrink or whether there would be no difference in the opposition?

I thought so too, but the State heritage authority has expressly ruled that out as "inappropriate".

I'm guessing it's the weathering effect and the near-impossibility of replicating the current cosmetic state of the old structure for a new build and then having both old and new weather at the same rate going forward. Better to have something deliberately look different, than a badly executed attempt to have old and new look the same.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:04 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:28 am
mikesbytes wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:56 pm

I thought so too, but the State heritage authority has expressly ruled that out as "inappropriate".

I'm guessing it's the weathering effect and the near-impossibility of replicating the current cosmetic state of the old structure for a new build and then having both old and new weather at the same rate going forward. Better to have something deliberately look different, than a badly executed attempt to have old and new look the same.
Point taken. Perhaps a heritage look but not matching to the existing bridge?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:37 pm

Be hard to find anyone willing to work with white hot rivets: see https://youtu.be/JPQ7CzVHdMs?t=514 starting at 8:34
Anything you can do, I can do slower

00tones00

Postby 00tones00 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:29 pm

The Heritage Council of NSW has given until 26 April 2023 to support Transport for NSWs Linear Cycle Ramp that will vastly improve cycling access to the Sydney Harbour Bridge Heritage.

Please help by registering support online at: https://www.hms.heritage.nsw.gov.au/Cor ... ddpNdxVEYU

You will probably need to create an account first and then click the link above again and sign in. At the Heritage Site just search for: LGA: North Sydney . This search should return SHR number 0781. You will need to register your name and address and you can proceed to Support the project and add a comment of up to in 255 characters (including spaces).

Here’s an example:
The impact of the linear ramp cycleway on the national heritage values of the Harbour Bridge is insignificant, entirely acceptable and far outweighed by the vastly improved access to all cyclists including disabled cyclists & parents carrying children.

reversebias

Postby reversebias » Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:44 pm

Good news! The Heritage Council has approved the works

Anyone know what the next step in the process is going to be? With landowner's consent, and now heritage approval, is it now the time to become optomistic? 8)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:22 pm

reversebias wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:44 pm
Good news! The Heritage Council has approved the works

Anyone know what the next step in the process is going to be? With landowner's consent, and now heritage approval, is it now the time to become optomistic? 8)
Thanks for posting, that's great news

What does it mean by " approved for the ramp balustrade, which utilises a bronze finish" ? Does this mean they are going to make it look like the existing bridge?

Approval expires in 5 years, lets see if the NIMBY's can delay the ramp that long...

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:57 pm

trailgumby wrote:
familyguy wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:48 pm

The guy is an amateur with a fatal dose of Dunning Kruger syndrome.

The design project had two phases:
1: Decide strategy: Circular/foldback or linear ramp?
2: Refine the winning strategy with a design competition.

The circular/foldback option had too many issues, not least of which was a massive clash with the Kirribilli Markets held every second weekend at Burton St. Their foldback option adds steeper gradients, tighter turns, and a higher risk of head-on collisions. The linear option mitigates all these issues.

So they've been ruled out already. Yet they keep harping on that because their *specific* option wasn't included in the consultation that we should start over and delay everything by 2 years again ... so that someone else can come along and repeat the trick - "oh, but you didn't consider MY option, so you have to start again." <facepalm>

Would be great if people could provide a bit of help and go in and tell him what they think. Getting a bit lonely.
Aside from blocking anyone who disagrees, even with basis (i.e. trailgumby, among others) and then posting their comments for some backlash, the group seems to be losing steam pretty rapidly. I'd like to see their 6500 objections. Anyone?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:49 pm

The Heritage council has approved the lineal design. I understand it will have a brass coloured rail.

peter

Postby peter » Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:21 am

Great news! I haven't done the city loop for a while, hopefully it doesn't take years to build.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:50 am

peter wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:21 am
Great news! I haven't done the city loop for a while, hopefully it doesn't take years to build.
Final decision not due until year end and then 18 month construction.

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:07 am

Channel 9 were at the base of the stairs doing some filming this morning. Not 100% sure, but they may have been interviewing cyclists too.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:46 pm

AndrewCowley wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:07 am
Channel 9 were at the base of the stairs doing some filming this morning. Not 100% sure, but they may have been interviewing cyclists too.
This is what they said previously

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:02 pm

The motorway improvements show around 3 crossings of the motorway in the same general area but there is no connection to the harbour bridge

Will the motorists in North Sydney understand that when they are stuck behind a slow moving cyclist that more often than not it will be because they haven’t been provided a path along the motorway?

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:34 pm

No election between now and (theoretical) completion. Good.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/wor ... 5dwmo.html