Harbour Bridge ramp

00tones00

Re: Harbour Bridge ramp

Postby 00tones00 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:00 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:43 pm
Hardly a compelling argument for redirecting the spend or opening up the western side to pedestrians.
I doubt Mutton is even serious with this "open letter". It's much more likely that he's attempting to re-frame the discussion so that the already rejected, dangerous 'community design' spiral looks reasonable in comparison. The one that's too steep and narrow for anyone but the most experienced riders who can already use the stairs and it's clearly been disingenuously 'designed' to maximise the conflict between pedestrians and cyclists at Burton St where the markets are so that 'cyclists will still be forced to dismount - for safety'.

There are rumours floating around that Mutton and his little band are petitioning the Teal Independent candidate to back them since the current sitting Liberal Party MP is no longer willing to try and obstruct it like in 2018. I expect this is the real reason for these games.

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:17 pm

His numbers are phony. No way only 10 cyclists use the Harbour Bridge between 7:30am and 8:30am weekdays.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:43 pm

00tones00 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:00 pm
trailgumby wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:43 pm
Hardly a compelling argument for redirecting the spend or opening up the western side to pedestrians.
I doubt Mutton is even serious with this "open letter". It's much more likely that he's attempting to re-frame the discussion so that the already rejected, dangerous 'community design' spiral looks reasonable in comparison. The one that's too steep and narrow for anyone but the most experienced riders who can already use the stairs and it's clearly been disingenuously 'designed' to maximise the conflict between pedestrians and cyclists at Burton St where the markets are so that 'cyclists will still be forced to dismount - for safety'.

There are rumours floating around that Mutton and his little band are petitioning the Teal Independent candidate to back them since the current sitting Liberal Party MP is no longer willing to try and obstruct it like in 2018. I expect this is the real reason for these games.

The obviously cherry-picked numbers demonstrate their desperation. I think it serves us better to allow him to continue to sink himself with these clearly absurd, self-serving and duplicitous arguments.

Those in the community engagement space are alert to the tactics - "They tend to latch onto an element they think is a "gotcha" that suits their agenda, and run an entire campaign on it" (paraphrasing an senior manager at Northern Beaches Council). We just need to remind that no, the real numbers have been collected over an extended period of time through independent means, and those are the ones the decisions have been based on. They will be aware that Covid lockdowns and weather have had an impact

Speaking of which, I notice the counter has been back in use for the last several months at least at the southern end, if not most of the past year. When I cycle commuted to work on Thursday last week, the first week back from school holidays, the numbers of people out on bikes was a rea surprise - especially the numbers of female riders. Most encouraging. The numbers out on the Northern Beaches this last weekend was terrific - really busy!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:37 am

AndrewCowley wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:17 pm
His numbers are phony. No way only 10 cyclists use the Harbour Bridge between 7:30am and 8:30am weekdays.
Must be doing 100s of laps each :roll:
Anything you can do, I can do slower

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:17 pm

00tones00 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:37 pm
reversebias wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:02 pm
I'm incredibly curious about his cherry-picked date of the 10th of March 2022. I remember the rubber hoses counting bike traffic on the bridge bike path last year (above Argle St), anyone seen the raw data that he's referring to?
This was clearly cherry picked during the week of the massive flooding in Sydney when Roseville Bridge closed among other locations. There were also "stay at home" directions from the SES too.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-08/ ... JPpa5zREQ4

Mutton's time stamps don't align with TfNSW summary data which is grouped on the hour. I believe he and/or a couple of the local bike haters went out specifically at that day and time to manually "count" and get the lowest possible count they could. If you watch the video recording of the North Sydney Council meeting held on 12th December 2022, I wouldn't be surprised if a few of the residents in attendance to oppose the ramp again were involved.
It's a war for them, and they will do whatever dirty tricks and scams that are needed to get their victory. :roll:

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:36 pm

Apparently NSC gave 'landholders consent' in tonights council meeting, so the ramp is effectively green-lit. Yeehaa.

tpcycle

Postby tpcycle » Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:58 pm

familyguy wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:36 pm
Apparently NSC gave 'landholders consent' in tonights council meeting, so the ramp is effectively green-lit. Yeehaa.
Until it's actually been built I'm not counting any chickens.

If by some good fortune it does get built then I assume all these North Sydney council blowhards will start campaigning for it to be demolished.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:40 pm

tpcycle wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:58 pm

If by some good fortune it does get built then I assume all these North Sydney council blowhards will start campaigning for it to be demolished.
Yeah, a bit of both. There is a bit if a theory that council only voted for it with the hope that Labor wins the election and cancels all infrastructure projects, including this.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:37 pm

familyguy wrote:
There was a rescission motion lodged immediately afterwards by Jilly Gibson and Ian Mutton and that was voted on today. It was beaten.

I strongly recommend contacting the Councillors who voted in favour and thanking them. THe more they hear from in favour the better. Otherwise they may mistake the noisy minority for the majority who want this.
To 'mayor@northsydney.nsw.gov.au'; 'cr.William.Bourke@northsydney.nsw.gov.au'; 'cr.Godfrey.Santer@northsydney.nsw.gov.au'; 'cr.maryann.beregi@northsydney.nsw.gov.au'; 'cr.Georgia.Lamb@northsydney.nsw.gov.au'; 'cr.Shannon.Welch@northsydney.nsw.gov.au'; 'council@northsydney.nsw.gov.au'

re: Harbour Bridge Cycleway Ramp

Good Afternoon, Councillors and Mayor.

I wanted to thank you for your support of this project with your votes to accept the TfNSW offer last night.

The cycleway ramp is an important state-level piece of infrastructure that will enable the 60-70% of the population who are in the “Interested but Concerned” cohort, who would like to ride more for transport but are concerned about safety.

Presently, the harbour bridge steps serve only the “Fast and Fearless” and “Enthusiastic and Confident” cohorts, who represent only 5% -15% of our population. The 4x to 14x increase in usage these figures suggest is possible is not supported by either an unsafe circular ramp or an unreliable elevator. Co-opting a lane of the bridge deck is 20-30 years away at best. We need a solution now.

Despite the noise generated by the loud and wealthy group of local residents, this project enjoys huge community support. Out of 850-odd responses during the community consultation period held by TfNSW around 800 were in support.

The linear ramp is by far the most appropriate option. In addition to being unsafe, the circular “community” alternative proposed by this group would devastate the popular sports area adjacent to the bowling club, which I observe is in use most afternoons, with people playing games, lifting weights and enjoying some music while doing so. In contrast, Bradfield Park appears quite under-utilised.

Perhaps this is the unstated reason why the residents group is proposing their option – to remove a potential irritant with unwelcome people using “their” park?

This video (https://youtu.be/EGE9wjcTSBc) will give you some idea why the status quo can no longer remain and why a solution is now urgent. I recommend you listen to the young woman’s comments on how much an obstacle the stairs represent as she attempts to wrestle her heavy e-bike up them. I have no idea how she would manage getting it safely back down again in the afternoon. I can confirm the encounter was entirely random and unscripted - I use these stairs twice every day I travel to work in the CBD. Based on recent observation I estimate that e-bike traffic now represents up to 30% of cycleway users, and it is growing.

Thankyou again. I look forward to your continued support for this essential piece of infrastructure.

Best regards,

John Hawkins CPA
Chair, Advocacy Committee Bicycle NSW

tpcycle

Postby tpcycle » Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:13 pm

"I hope that I'm not tempting fate by contacting you all. The last time I wrote to public officials regarding cycling related matters was to Fred **** Nile asking him to vote against Duncan Gay's draconian "cycling reforms" - and look how that turned out.

Anyway, I digress...

Thank you all so much for approving the new Sydney Harbor Bridge cycling ramp.

Please, please, do whatever you can to ensure it actually gets built and it isn't cynically terminated or thwarted in any other way.

Regards,

XXXXXXXXXXXX
North Sydney ratepayer."

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:56 pm

Will do that!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:06 pm

tpcycle wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:58 pm
familyguy wrote:

The letter above from Mr Hawkins talks about certain cohorts that might use it, when I was without injury I might have fit into enthusiast and confident part, but actually if I had to face those stairs I just actually wouldn't bother at all. And actually I didn't.

I will craft an email to them. Stairs are a big problem for me now with my condition and if I had to lug a bike up and down them it would be worse still.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:21 pm

Done.
my letter wrote: Good morning Councillors and Mayor

I write to express thanks for your support of this project with your votes to accept the TfNSW offer on Tuesday night and again at Wednesday's EGM.

This ramp is a critical link in the bicycle infrastructure that will facilitate journeys for a far wider cross-section of the community, both within North Sydney LGA and outside. To think that you can ride a bicycle around the Greater Sydney area and be confronted with 55 steps at this location is far from best practice and is overdue for this update. North Sydney Council themselves have touted their bicycle plans, yet were content to allow this substandard link to remain.

The previous suggestions that a lane of the bridge deck could be used as a bicycle lane, the suggestion of one, or even two, lifts, the unsafe and non-Austroads compliant option, as well as the option that took over much of the site used for the Kirribilli Markets, put forth by previous and current councillors were spurious at best and delaying tactics at worst.

The current arrangements have prevented many people from taking a final step to commuting by bicycle, which in turn overloads vehicular traffic and public transport. The TfNSW responses were overwhelmingly positive in favour of the selected scheme. A linear ramp is the most appropriate option. The end of Bradfield Park North has been overwhelmingly underutilised each of the many times I have transited this route.

There are numerous examples of people having issues with these stairs. To have this last barrier scheduled for removal will open up commuting both to and from the North Sydney area and passage through and be beneficial to the greater population with very little imposition on those concerned local residents who have campaigned so heavily against this.

As an ex-North Sydney ratepayer, I would have been pleased to see this project occur before leaving the area. As a user who still transits this route, I am pleased to see this project reaching this point of commencement and look forward to using it.

Regards

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:09 pm

What's happening next to the motorway on the other side of the railway tracks? it looks like they may be building a lane under the overpass, perhaps something to do with exiting the motorway.

I'm wondering if there is scope to get a bike lane underneath as well, as part of building a bike path along the motorway
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:29 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:09 pm
What's happening next to the motorway on the other side of the railway tracks? it looks like they may be building a lane under the overpass, perhaps something to do with exiting the motorway.

I'm wondering if there is scope to get a bike lane underneath as well, as part of building a bike path along the motorway

That whole Warringah Freeway Upgrade project is a debacle for active transport. The contractors are wilfully treating Bike North and Bicycle NSW like mushrooms, not sharing planning drawings for input, and are abusing the consultation process.

As a result, Bicycle NSW and Bike North have both withdrawn from the process until such time as they begin to genuinely engage and have escalated with the Minister. The Minister has issued directions that they are to be brought to heel, but that was late last year and I'm unsure if behaviours have since changed.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:43 pm

The Warringah Freeway works are also setting up some feeder works for the (as yet not approved?) North Harbour tunnel from Cammeray to Seaforth. If Labor get in, there is serious doubt that project will continue. I think there's a chance the contractor knows this and is marking time. The whole area is now a mess and they'll just abandon it and leave it as a scar for years if they can.

tpcycle

Postby tpcycle » Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:00 pm

I note that the hoarding on the works at Ernest St trumpets "Active Transport" and "2 for 1 replacement trees". These people really have no shame - I wish a pox upon their houses.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:20 pm

Oh dear that's bad. North Sydney is a cycling blockage with largely sports riders (like me) braving it and stacks of people not riding because of it

I'm preaching to the converted...

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:56 pm

One of Muttons stooges is on the Build the SHB Ramp FB page touting the 'community ramp design'. Taking an absolute bath for it. Its quite funny.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:55 pm

familyguy wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:56 pm
One of Muttons stooges is on the Build the SHB Ramp FB page touting the 'community ramp design'. Taking an absolute bath for it. Its quite funny.
I'm wondering if its a fake profile as when I looked at it I found nothing, no friends, no posts not related to the bridge etc etc

What they could of campaigned for successfully was to have the ramp styled to match the bridge

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:17 am

mikesbytes wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:55 pm
I'm wondering if its a fake profile as when I looked at it I found nothing, no friends, no posts not related to the bridge etc etc

It’s real. Here’s his web site.

https://rianlloyd.com/about

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:40 pm

Old mate is on the Kirribilli local FB group with his fly through render of the "community ramp". Again, getting basted.

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:51 pm

He is fairly active on Kirribilli Connections. He posted 3 days ago and again this morning.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:28 pm

That's the guy. The replies are overwhelmingly against their asinine concept.

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:48 am

The admin of the SHB Ramp FB page has publicly issued Ian Lloyd with a very polite (too polite IMO) 'cease posting or I'll remove you from the group' warning.