2018 Cycling Fatalities

Thoglette

ABC: In Memoriam Shivanand Jadhav

Postby Thoglette » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:16 pm

Scott_C wrote:A cyclist died today in a collision with a truck on Old Coast Road/Forrest Highway in Binningup WA.
Indian family's dream crushed after truck driver's split-second loss of concentration
By Georgia Loney (ABC) following an interview with his widow.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

warthog1

Re: 2018 Cycling Fatalities

Postby warthog1 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:16 pm

uart wrote: TBH, if the victim was anyone other than an adult male cyclist then I'm sure that the legal outcome would have been very different. Sadly it seems that adult male cyclists are perceived as the absolute the lowest of the low in terms of victim status, basically that they deserve anything that they get. I seriously believe that the courts are just reflecting the prevailing public attitude in this regard. :(

I am not joking about this, there is just no other way that some of the sentences of motorist who have killed cyclists can be viewed.
I have just read this several months old comment. (I don't visit the site often anymore).
Very well written. I agree with the entirety of your statement.
:x :x
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Cheesewheel

Re: ABC: In Memoriam Shivanand Jadhav

Postby Cheesewheel » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:45 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Scott_C wrote:A cyclist died today in a collision with a truck on Old Coast Road/Forrest Highway in Binningup WA.
Indian family's dream crushed after truck driver's split-second loss of concentration
By Georgia Loney (ABC) following an interview with his widow.
One has to wonder whether this excuse of "momentary inattentiveness" is just the explanations that arise when drivers put too much punishment in their punishment passes.
Go!Run!GAH!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:18 am

Arbuckle23 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:47 pm
Hard to know where to post this, not sure whether I feel anger or sadness.
RIP BianchiCam
Heartbreaking News: Cycling Safety Advocate Cameron Frewer Killed In Queensland
Read more at http://www.bicyclingaustralia.com.au/ne ... XiJJAZ5.99
A year since Cameron's death. Nothing has changed

Thoglette

Re: 2018 Cycling Fatalities : Gitta Scheenhouwer

Postby Thoglette » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:40 pm

Scintilla wrote:Police arrest over the horrible Chapel St stolen car hit-run. Great news!
Pleaded guilty, now in sentencing hearings.
Danny Tran ABC wrote: ..pleaded guilty to five charges including culpable driving causing death, failing to stop and render assistance after a collision, theft of a motor vehicle, recklessly causing injury and negligently dealing with the proceeds of crime.
More here
Boyfriend of Dutch cyclist killed in Melbourne hit-and-run tells court of 'incomprehensible' loss

pysun

Re: 2019 Cycling Fatalities

Postby pysun » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:30 am

Dutch person killed whilst cycling in Melbourne when a heroin-influenced driver swerved into the bike lane.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-06/ ... s/11676204

Thoglette

Re: 2018 Cycling Fatalaties

Postby Thoglette » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:23 pm

uart wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:37 pm
AdelaidePeter wrote:
piledhigher wrote:
Followup with a murder charge...
Yes that's got to be first, they must have some extraordinary information that we don't know about.
Driver jailed for at least 17 years for murder of cyclist in NSW hit and run crash
AAP in the Guardian wrote:Jonwa Rowe pleaded guilty to murdering Stephen O’Grady in Leeton in March 2018
No backstory so this remains as mysterious as ever. I've not had a look at the transcripts.

uart

Postby uart » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:11 am

Thoglette wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:23 pm
Driver jailed for at least 17 years for murder of cyclist in NSW hit and run crash
AAP in the Guardian wrote:Jonwa Rowe pleaded guilty to murdering Stephen O’Grady in Leeton in March 2018
No backstory so this remains as mysterious as ever. I've not had a look at the transcripts.
I found this link, but it's paywalled. The text that google displayed along with the link does offer some more insight though.

"Narrandera's Jonwa Rowe, 27, appeared in Wagga Supreme Court on ... However, Justice Walton said Rowe used "a high level of violence to cause fatal ... was murdered in 2018 when Jonwa Rowe ran over him four times."

man-jailed-for-driving-over-cyclist-four-times-to-finish-the-job/

https://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/stor ... h-the-job/

cogs19

Postby cogs19 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:47 pm

uart wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:11 am

I found this link, but it's paywalled. The text that google displayed along with the link does offer some more insight though.

"Narrandera's Jonwa Rowe, 27, appeared in Wagga Supreme Court on ... However, Justice Walton said Rowe used "a high level of violence to cause fatal ... was murdered in 2018 when Jonwa Rowe ran over him four times."

man-jailed-for-driving-over-cyclist-four-times-to-finish-the-job/

https://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/stor ... h-the-job/
Wagga Supreme Court sends Narrandera's Jonwa Rowe to jail for murdering Leeton cyclist
Toby Vue
Latest News
FACEBOOKSHARE
TWITTERTWEET
EMAIL
TRAGEDY: Leeton man Stephen O'Grady, 33, was murdered in 2018 when Jonwa Rowe ran over him four times. Picture: Facebook
TRAGEDY: Leeton man Stephen O'Grady, 33, was murdered in 2018 when Jonwa Rowe ran over him four times. Picture: Facebook
A RIVERINA man has been sentenced to a maximum of 23 years' jail for driving his ute to mow down a cyclist before running over him multiple times to "finish the job".

Narrandera's Jonwa Rowe, 27, appeared in Wagga Supreme Court on Monday after pleading guilty to murdering Leeton man Stephen O'Grady.

The court heard that Mr O'Grady, 33, was cycling in Leeton in the early hours of March 25, 2018 when a Toyota HiLux struck him from behind.

Rowe, who was driving the ute, not only failed stop after the collision, which occurred about 2am on Currawang Avenue, he then went back to run over Mr O'Grady four times.

Emergency services were unable to resuscitate him at the scene.

Court documents state that the incident happened after Mr O'Grady refused to shake Rowe's hand during a brief interaction at a service station earlier that night.

The court heard Rowe, who had been drinking and taking prohibited drugs in the previous 24 hours after celebrating a cricket grand final win, was left feeling humiliated and excluded from the altercation with Mr O'Grady.

There were at least two eyewitnesses and CCTV footage of the moment when Rowe hit O'Grady and then drove over him.

In court, Justice Michael Walton said Crown prosecutor Trevor Bailey had proven beyond reasonable doubt that Rowe intended to kill the victim.

He said the offender approached Mr O'Grady from the opposite side of the road at a relatively fast pace.

"There was no deceleration of the vehicle on CCTV ... and no evidence of braking after the first impact," Justice Walton said.

The movement of the vehicle demonstrated deliberateness and intention to kill.

Justice Michael Walton
Defence barrister Eric Wilson had argue that it was Rowe's uncontrolled panic, rather than intention, to kill Mr O'Grady.

During a police interview after being arrested, he said "I went back to finish the job" because he was scared that Mr O'Grady would identify him.

Justice Walton accepted that Rowe was humiliated at the service station but rejected the premise that Rowe intended to only scare Mr O'Grady.

"The movement of the vehicle demonstrated deliberateness and intention to kill," he said.

Justice Walton also cited the victim impact statements read by the family members during an earlier hearing, saying the emotional harm caused was substantial.

"The grief on the family is profound and ongoing and this is recognised by the court," he said.

Mr Wilson also argued for leniency based on his client's ADHD diagnosis, illicit substance abuse, lower-average intelligence and history of social exclusion because he was adopted from Sri Lanka.

However, Justice Walton said Rowe used "a high level of violence to cause fatal injuries to [the] deceased" and that the four times he ran over Mr O'Grady after the initial hit had planning involved.

He also said Rowe had good prospects of rehabilitation because of his early guilty plea and remorse shown to the victim's family.

Outside court, Mr O'Grady's father, Stephen O'Grady senior, said the jail term was "not long enough".

With a non-parole period of 17 years and six months, Rowe will be eligible for early release in September 2035 having already served 20 months in custody pre-sentence.

If released to parole, he will be disqualified from driving for 12 months.

This story Man jailed for driving over cyclist four times 'to finish the job' first appeared on The Daily Advertiser.
As always, plenty of excuses on offer...

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:45 am

Michael Panayides jailed for 11 years for killing Dutch cyclist Gitta Scheenhouwer

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-15/ ... r/11706222

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:25 pm

P!N20 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:45 am
Michael Panayides jailed for 11 years for killing Dutch cyclist Gitta Scheenhouwer

And a 20 year driving ban. :D

uart

Postby uart » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:35 pm

P!N20 wrote:

And 8.5 years non parole.

Drug addict, car thief, hit and run killer. Anyway, with a bit of luck he might manage to OD on drugs before his release date.

uart

Postby uart » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:45 pm

biker jk wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:25 pm
P!N20 wrote:

Yes that's very good to see.

But yet, in the Jonwa Rowe case above, where he deliberately chased down a cyclist to murder him with his car (proven to be murder by car in court), they will give him his license back when released (or after just 12 months in the case of an early release on parole).

Can anyone think of a similar murder case where someone hunted someone down with a gun, and then got the gun and firearms license given straight back on release? He should have been banned for life.

cogs19

Postby cogs19 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:53 pm

biker jk wrote:

Yep, that will stop him from getting behind the wheel.

"Where are you going?" - "I'm off to buy drugs" - "Driving?" - "Nah, my licence has been cancelled, it'd contravene the law!"

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:29 pm

cogs19 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:53 pm
biker jk wrote:

Yep, that will stop him from getting behind the wheel.

"Where are you going?" - "I'm off to buy drugs" - "Driving?" - "Nah, my licence has been cancelled, it'd contravene the law!"
I don't disagree and would prefer a 20-year gaol sentence but at least it wasn't the usual six months to a year driving ban.

cogs19

Postby cogs19 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:32 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:32 am
Man arrested after car hit and killed cyclist near Bendigo.
From Herald Sun.
A man is in custody after his car hit and killed a cyclist in north central Victoria on Tuesday evening.

Police believe a blue Commodore stationwagon was travelling east on Fogartys Gap Rd when it collided with a cyclist near the Calder Highway in Ravenswood, near Bendigo, about 6.25pm.

The yet-to-be-identified male cyclist died at the scene.
RIP.

Condolences to family and friends of the loved ones who won't be home for Xmas.
Three years jail (really 18 months). 8 years disqualification from driving. Best part of the story was learning he has prostate cancer - hopefully he dies a painful death from it.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... 53eat.html

Quote from the story "Mr Grinter, a renowned flute maker and keen road cyclist, was wearing lycra and a helmet."

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:30 am

cogs19 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:32 pm
Three years jail (really 18 months).

18 months. F me.

cogs19 wrote:
Quote from the story "Mr Grinter, a renowned flute maker and keen road cyclist, was wearing lycra and a helmet."

I wonder what he had for breakfast?

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:05 pm

cogs19 wrote:
https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... 53eat.html

Commentary today from BN here

Mostly lifted from the news articles but they did comment
BN wrote:Disappointingly, Judge Wraight also referred to the crash as an “accident”, despite the facts and sentence clearly showing that Timothy Scollary was at fault and it was not an accident.

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:44 pm

the BN article mentions other recent court cases but fails to mention the non custodial sentence and short driving ban (18months) given to the driver that killed Police Sergeant Kenneth Rich on the Princes Highway near Packenham in 2017...sentencing was on Nov 13th 2019 less than a month ago

non paywalled (i think) hence source TheAge probably has more detail
https://www.westernadvocate.com.au/stor ... h/?cs=9397

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:52 am

AdelaidePeter wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:59 am
AdelaidePeter wrote:Oh no, yet another one in SA. A 66 year old cyclist on Horrocks Highway near Quorn.
http://www.news.com.au/national/breakin ... 7b76f390ea
The most coverage on this I could find was the Channel 7 Adelaide news report, which can be found on their Facebook page. Here's a still from it. The news said they were going the same way but it's not clear from that picture what direction that was: the car is on the left of the road and the bike is on the right. Either way, visibility should not have been a problem. The crash was some time after 8 ("emergency services were called around 8.20") and at least in Adelaide, there was plenty of light that morning.
Robert Lloyd Hall coronial inquest hears driver didn't meet minimum vision test requirements
The killer should not have had a license
Key points:

Robert Lloyd Hall was struck from behind while riding his bike near Quorn in 2018
The court heard John Charles Robertson had to physically move his head to make up for a complete lack of peripheral vision
The court heard Mr Robertson was granted an unconditional licence in 2016, despite not meeting the requirements
Robert Lloyd Hall, 66, was wearing a high-vis vest while riding his mountain bike on the side of the Horrocks Highway near Quorn on a clear day in May 2018, when a 4WD struck him from behind.

The driver, John Charles Robertson, from Wilmington in the state's north, had suffered a stroke in 2014, during brain surgery that resulted in permanent loss of peripheral vision on his left-hand side

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:05 am

Thoglette wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:52 am
Key points:

Robert Lloyd Hall was struck from behind while riding his bike near Quorn in 2018
The court heard John Charles Robertson had to physically move his head to make up for a complete lack of peripheral vision
The court heard Mr Robertson was granted an unconditional licence in 2016, despite not meeting the requirements
Robert Lloyd Hall, 66, was wearing a high-vis vest while riding his mountain bike on the side of the Horrocks Highway near Quorn on a clear day in May 2018, when a 4WD struck him from behind.

The driver, John Charles Robertson, from Wilmington in the state's north, had suffered a stroke in 2014, during brain surgery that resulted in permanent loss of peripheral vision on his left-hand side
Thank you for posting, I missed that. What a disgrace. I hope the doctor(s) who allowed his license are followed up and lose the ability to issue license exemptions in future. (In my dreams).

uart

Postby uart » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:01 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:05 am
Thank you for posting, I missed that. What a disgrace. I hope the doctor(s) who allowed his license are followed up and lose the ability to issue license exemptions in future. (In my dreams).
The real kicker for me in that story was this :
The court heard Mr Robertson had seen the cyclist from "some way off", but then did not see him prior to the impact.
- So he knew the cyclist was there to his left.
- And he knew that he wouldn't be able to see him there, unless he turned his head to keep him in view.
- And yet he apparently couldn't be bothered to do that?

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:26 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:05 am
Thoglette wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:52 am
Key points:

I'll quote from the 'Australian Fitness to Drive' handbook to clarify that one.

A person is not fit to hold an unconditional licence if:
- The binocular visual field does not have a horizontal extent of at least 110 degrees within 10 degrees above and below the horizontal midline.
or
- There is any significant visual field loss (scotoma) within a central radius of 20 degrees of the foveal fixation or other scotoma likely to impede driving performance.

A conditional licence may be considered by the driver licensing authority subject to annual review taking into account the nature of hte driving task and information provided by the treating optometrist or ophthalmologist.

What I suspect here is that this wasn't read and an unconditional licence was issued. However you can see that the correct thing to do with the right advice would be to issue a 'conditional' licence with annual review. What are those conditions? The book is exceedingly vague on that front.

Personally I wouldn't issue a licence for that guy without an occupational therapist driving assessment. But the medical standards for drivers are remarkably low. I suspect as above that this guy actually saw the cyclist, then lost sight of him and went anyway. That's an issue with his brain, but not the visual part...

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:39 pm

More on the inquest into the death of Robert Lloyd Hall today in the ABC
Driver who fatally hit cyclist on Horrocks Highway was not re-tested as recommended, inquest told
Nicola Hayball said she recommended that Mr Robertson pass two driving lessons and a practical test on a rural road before being allowed back behind the wheel and that he needed to be re-assessed annually.

But those recommendations were ignored, the inquest heard.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:29 am

Thoglette wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:39 pm
More on the inquest into the death of Robert Lloyd Hall today in the ABC
Driver who fatally hit cyclist on Horrocks Highway was not re-tested as recommended, inquest told
Nicola Hayball said she recommended that Mr Robertson pass two driving lessons and a practical test on a rural road before being allowed back behind the wheel and that he needed to be re-assessed annually.

But those recommendations were ignored, the inquest heard.
They were only recommendations. Not requirements.

Lack of common sense there. …