My first impression of Melbourne

warthog1

Re: My first impression of Melbourne

Postby warthog1 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:05 pm

queequeg wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:30 pm

Trying to convince my wife that we should be looking regional for retirement and locking something in over the next couple of years at today's prices. We just spent two weeks in Bright for a holiday, and I love it in that region. Bright is getting fairly pricey when compared to other towns in the region, but still a massive discount to Sydney where we live now. You can get a 1000sqm block 300m from the middle of town for half the price of a block half the size in Sydney, and you have Mt Buffalo, Mt Hotham, Tawonga Gap and Falls Creek all within riding distance, plus rail trails and gravel roads everywhere.

My wife likes the big city, I don't. I like peace and quiet and fresh air and craft beer :-)
My Mum grew up in Moyhu near Wang. Have family there and Glenrowan.

Yeah I could live in Bright too. 8)
I reckon I could sway my wife possibly.
Maybe in a couple of years when I don't need to do night shift anymore. Depends on the grown kids being more independent too though.

A very valid option, beautiful spot.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:44 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:05 pm

My Mum grew up in Moyhu near Wang. Have family there and Glenrowan.

Yeah I could live in Bright too. 8)
I reckon I could sway my wife possibly.
Maybe in a couple of years when I don't need to do night shift anymore. Depends on the grown kids being more independent too though.

A very valid option, beautiful spot.
I have a special needs child who just started High School at a private school in a special program (He's high functioning Austistic), so we're in Sydney until he graduates. My younger child is at the same school, but two years behind him. He's also ADHD and currently mainstream with some extra support to get him up to standard after some years of neglect in the public system. So, realistically we are tied to Sydney for another 8 years. However, I am looking at options to either get a block of land or preferably something we can find to generate some rental income over that time and pay off. Then, when we retire/move we can do a knockdown and rebuild. It's potentially an option for the kids, if they are that way inclined, to attend Uni in Victoria as we'd only be a few hours from Melbourne. Other option would be heading North, but I have also thought about Adelaide.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:55 pm

brumby33 wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:58 pm
I'm even going to apply for the Trams....that'll be fun..can't get lost on those as they're on rails :lol:

Cheers

Dave
brumby33
Hmm, I did once turn a Number 16 up Commercial Rd, but I stopped and could go back before any problems. Would not have been good as the left turn for the tram in the middle of the road was red so I could have wiped out a couple of cars! Drove trams many years ago, over 25 years since I did that job.

Driving trams is fine, but you have to be able to handle a lot of near misses. The things people do in front of a 40 tonne vehicle with no steering is truly astounding. I was ok, but you have to be able to handle the moronic behaviour of car drivers and you can't steer.

Good luck, if you're good at predicting idiocy in traffic driving trams can be fun.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:57 pm

Must be the thing to do now. I'm moving out of the CBD to Caloundra. Building contract signed.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:01 pm

queequeg wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:44 pm

I have a special needs child who just started High School at a private school in a special program (He's high functioning Austistic), so we're in Sydney until he graduates. My younger child is at the same school, but two years behind him. He's also ADHD and currently mainstream with some extra support to get him up to standard after some years of neglect in the public system. So, realistically we are tied to Sydney for another 8 years. However, I am looking at options to either get a block of land or preferably something we can find to generate some rental income over that time and pay off. Then, when we retire/move we can do a knockdown and rebuild. It's potentially an option for the kids, if they are that way inclined, to attend Uni in Victoria as we'd only be a few hours from Melbourne. Other option would be heading North, but I have also thought about Adelaide.
Sounds like you are a good dad. Yep the kids' needs are what's most important and being where they get assistance if they need it.

Sounds like a good plan but I am a housing investment numpty.

If I had to be in a city Adelaide is a good one. Spent a bit of time there.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Daus

Postby Daus » Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:51 am

RonK wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:57 pm
Must be the thing to do now. I'm moving out of the CBD to Caloundra. Building contract signed.
Welcome to the Sunshine Coast, it still can be busy especially at school holiday times you can never escape tourists.

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:57 am

brumby33 wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:07 am
..it's only been 3 weeks since I had finished driving..
brumby33
Did I miss something, do you mean you are "finished" with Kingsgrove (depot)?

Best of luck with the move(s), changing job & home is said to be pretty stressful but at least you have recentish experience from Newcastle, Melbourne or close regional would be good move, I could live there if I needed to, if you did Bright just think of the fun of a daily pre breakfast climb up Mt Buffalo (take Sundays off). Just do it!
Bill (Long Distance Dreamer)
2008 Cannondale Touring 2, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:37 pm

LateStarter wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:57 am
brumby33 wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:07 am
..it's only been 3 weeks since I had finished driving..
brumby33
Did I miss something, do you mean you are "finished" with Kingsgrove (depot)?

Best of luck with the move(s), changing job & home is said to be pretty stressful but at least you have recentish experience from Newcastle, Melbourne or close regional would be good move, I could live there if I needed to, if you did Bright just think of the fun of a daily pre breakfast climb up Mt Buffalo (take Sundays off). Just do it!
Yeah LS, whilst I'm still on their books as I'm taking all my leave as it accumulates more leave and Super, my driving days with them are done. I finished my last shift on the 7th Jan. I was at Kingsgrove for the past 5 years but have done many years with them up from early 90's till 2006 when it was Government run. I've driven Semi's and other buses in between.

One of the reasons for looking at Melbourne or Victoria is because from my research, it provides more things to do for older Couples (we don't have any kids) and I'm early 60's and my wife mid 50's. I find that Sydney caters more for the younger set rather than the senior people and for things to do. There seems to be more events and more bicycling activities in Melbourne and My wife wants to see some Musical theatre. I'm not into racing bicycles or racing, my interest is more for Touring Bicycles and Touring, not that I've been able to get really into it, too many life obligations in all my Sydney and Newcastle years although Newcastle has a more Touring bent than Sydney. Sydney has absolutely NO bicycle Touring clubs at all even though it's population would encourage it, and before someone pipes in and say start one up yourself...I don't have that expertise I'm afraid, I prefer to tag along rather than Organise. I know of 3 Bicycle Touring clubs in Melbourne and that's not even including the BUGs.

My only reservations are mostly Melbourne's long cold Winters but at least Melbourne doesn't get smothered in Snow every year and I'm sure I'll find a way around it.

We've even expressed interest in Country or regional Towns like Bendigo and recently the border town of Albury/Wodonga but not sure if the town will be enough for us having lived with the Conveniences of the City for so long.

Keeping in mind, it's not just about moving house that has to be considered but establishing and finding new GP's, having to change everything to Victorian licenses and Authorities and recognised tickets...lots to consider and is why we're doing this trip to have a good look around, asking lots of questions and just getting the feel of it within a week or two.

Cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB