Postby grt046 » Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:16 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:56 pm
grt046 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:44 am
warthog1 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:54 am

What tyres and what sealant?

Good luck with the surgery, hope it improves things.
Thanks

Tyres are Pirelli
P Zero Race (30) front
Cinturato Velo (32) rear

Tyres were installed by the local TREK shop so Bontrager TLR sealant used.
Haven't used that sealant but it seems to be doing its' job and some must still be liquid after sitting unused.

I don't know if you have had a go yourself yet. If you search youtube "tubeless tire install" some useful vids are there.
Well after putting a toe in the water with a tubeless conversion on my Orbea Gain with an initial shaky start I am now at a stage where I need to take the next step and set myself up to manage things myself rather that use the local TREK shop over the road (300 metres away)

I have watched a number of videos and researched sealant tests which come up with conflicting results so am looking some real world feedback on what works best in our climate.

As my cheapie track pump is some 14 years old I am considering replacing it with something like a Topeak Joe Blow Booster HP Road Floor Pump or alternatively an Airshot tyre inflator rather than a compressor as living in a smallish villa with single garage where space is at a premium.
I am currently using Pirelli tyres set up with Bontrager TLR sealant as installed by the TREK shop. (Details above)
As for sealant I am a bit confused as it would appear that Stans Original and Orange Seal Endurance seem popular locally although they didn't perform too well in some artificial testing (Screwdriver puncturing in differing sizes)
The Silca sealant seemed best at sealing large holes with its c/f content I have ruled that out as it can't be injected through the valve stem.

Any real world experiences/recommendations would be appreciated.
Giant Defy Advanced 1 (2014) Orbea Gain M20 (2021)

warthog1

Re: Tubeless roadbike tyres

Postby warthog1 » Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:21 pm

Cant help with the pump as I use a big storage tank compressor. My track pump is 15 years old though and slowly dying, so would like to replace it with an airblaster type goer that will seat tubeless. I am pretty well done with tubes.
Stans original and Orange seal regular have both been ok for me. Both able to be injected via the valve. I may try orange seal endurance next. It seems to get positive feedback on the ww forum.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

grt046

Postby grt046 » Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:49 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:21 pm
Cant help with the pump as I use a big storage tank compressor. My track pump is 15 years old though and slowly dying, so would like to replace it with an airblaster type goer that will seat tubeless. I am pretty well done with tubes.
Stans original and Orange seal regular have both been ok for me. Both able to be injected via the valve. I may try orange seal endurance next. It seems to get positive feedback on the ww forum.
Thanks for that wartog1.

I have committed and ordered the Booster Pump and Stans Original etc and will see how that goes. Tyres are next but that's a way off yet as only have 2200k's on the existing Pirelli's

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:42 am

I'm using a Schwalbe booster tank (rebadged airflow) and a normal track pump - it works fine.

Stan's original/Orange seal I have used interchangeably, no real issues in either.

I place little stock in any of the sealant tests, just like I do with puncture testing of tyres. It all comes down to the puncture, luck on the day, the angle, and how much luck you have repairing it.

Of the two punctures I've had on road tubeless (both on the weekend) one plugged easily with a Dynaplug (highly recommended), the other was completely unfixable and a tyre in the bin job. Though it was about a 12mm long slash and also would have killed a tubed tyre.

grt046

Postby grt046 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:37 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:42 am
I'm using a Schwalbe booster tank (rebadged airflow) and a normal track pump - it works fine.

Stan's original/Orange seal I have used interchangeably, no real issues in either.

I place little stock in any of the sealant tests, just like I do with puncture testing of tyres. It all comes down to the puncture, luck on the day, the angle, and how much luck you have repairing it.

Of the two punctures I've had on road tubeless (both on the weekend) one plugged easily with a Dynaplug (highly recommended), the other was completely unfixable and a tyre in the bin job. Though it was about a 12mm long slash and also would have killed a tubed tyre.
Thanks. It is good to have real world feedback as puncture testing with various size screwdrivers in a workshop situation is at best a bit of a guide rather than a definitive test.
Was tossing up getting a booster tank but as the old pump was on the way out, decided on a combined unit. A bit dearer but you can't take it with you.
I have Dynaplugs ...... fortunately haven't had to use them yet.

All the gear ordered will be delivered well before I am back on the bike expected around mid January.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:40 am

Well this Corsa N.ext turned out to be a dud.
Replaced a Conti GP5kTL on the rear that was down to belt material. Was going to put the Corsa on the rear from the front. Nup. In the bin.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:24 am

That's terrible, I've never had one do that before!

I am worried about the sidewall durability after my recent experiences though.

kilroy

Postby kilroy » Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:25 pm

I just ordered a Dynaplug kit and a Lezyne Pressure Over Drive pump as I'm running tubeless 28's (soon to be 32's) on my roadie. I had mixed success when I tried to go tubeless on some 700x25 tyres a couple of years ago. I went through quite a few CO2 canisters and there always seemed to be a slow leak in the system. Seems to be working a lot better on the 28mm tyres.
2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2; 2021 Trek Powerfly 5.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:32 pm

kilroy wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:25 pm
I just ordered a Dynaplug kit and a Lezyne Pressure Over Drive pump as I'm running tubeless 28's (soon to be 32's) on my roadie. I had mixed success when I tried to go tubeless on some 700x25 tyres a couple of years ago. I went through quite a few CO2 canisters and there always seemed to be a slow leak in the system. Seems to be working a lot better on the 28mm tyres.
I think CO2 and sealant don't get on so well (the CO2 causes the sealant to marble up or something?). I don't use CO2 in my tubeless tyres. I rarely have a puncture so happy to carry a mini-pump for those times.

Just got back from a ride and got a nail in my tyre. Had to stop as it was bitting the (rim brake) caliper. Pulled the nail out and rotated the hole to bottom and sealed in a couple seconds. Gotta love tubeless!

kilroy

Postby kilroy » Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:00 am

vosadrian wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:32 pm
kilroy wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:25 pm
I think CO2 and sealant don't get on so well (the CO2 causes the sealant to marble up or something?). I don't use CO2 in my tubeless tyres. I rarely have a puncture so happy to carry a mini-pump for those times.

Just got back from a ride and got a nail in my tyre. Had to stop as it was biting the (rim brake) caliper. Pulled the nail out and rotated the hole to bottom and sealed in a couple seconds. Gotta love tubeless!
Yeah I think you are right, however, without having a high pressure pump or compressor there aren't many other options for getting the tyres to seat properly. I have been pretty lucky not to have had any punctures in the last couple of years. A spare tube is an easy fix if you are running tubes. Running tubeless does make me nervous, but the benefits are obvious.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:02 am

I can mostly get a tyre that has previously been seated to reseat with a standard track pump. Sometimes I need to start the compressor up. I think if going tubeless you really NEED some type of compressed air solution for difficult to seat tyres.

I don't find fitting a tube to a tubeless tyre to be a big deal. Same process with a couple differences and a bit messier, but if you can do one you can do the other and still get home. Having said that, I rarely do it with tubeless unless I have a large cut in the tyre or I did not replenish the sealant recently enough. I get quite a few punctures sealed with sealant (mostly I don't even realise) and every time you lose some sealant until there is none left.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:58 am

vosadrian wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:02 am
I can mostly get a tyre that has previously been seated to reseat with a standard track pump. Sometimes I need to start the compressor up. I think if going tubeless you really NEED some type of compressed air solution for difficult to seat tyres.

I don't find fitting a tube to a tubeless tyre to be a big deal. Same process with a couple differences and a bit messier, but if you can do one you can do the other and still get home. Having said that, I rarely do it with tubeless unless I have a large cut in the tyre or I did not replenish the sealant recently enough. I get quite a few punctures sealed with sealant (mostly I don't even realise) and every time you lose some sealant until there is none left.
Ditto. Road tubeless is easier to seat with a track pump than larger volume gravel tubeless though (Panaracer I am looking at you with your gravelkings). I have had a gravelking that was so hard to seat even with a compressor able to run a spray paint gun, that I had to seat it with a tube, then unseat one side to remove the tube and hit it again with the compressor.
Just seated a 25mm GP5kTL and 26mm P-zero race with the track pump the other day though.
Yes I have had to put a tube in a flat road tyre once (leaking valve was the cause :roll: ) and several times on gravel. Once the tyres have been on a while they are a bit easier to remove and reinstall.

kilroy

Postby kilroy » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:04 am

warthog1 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:58 am
vosadrian wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:02 am

Ditto. Road tubeless is easier to seat with a track pump than larger volume gravel tubeless though (Panaracer I am looking at you with your gravelkings). I have had a gravelking that was so hard to seat even with a compressor able to run a spray paint gun, that I had to seat it with a tube, then unseat one side to remove the tube and hit it again with the compressor.
Just seated a 25mm GP5kTL and 26mm P-zero race with the track pump the other day though.
Yes I have had to put a tube in a flat road tyre once (leaking valve was the cause :roll: ) and several times on gravel. Once the tyres have been on a while they are a bit easier to remove and reinstall.
Interesting, I just ordered a couple of Gravelkings. Will see how they go. I've ordered a Lezyne TL pump so hopefully that will help.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:42 am

kilroy wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:04 am

Interesting, I just ordered a couple of Gravelkings. Will see how they go. I've ordered a Lezyne TL pump so hopefully that will help.
On 24 and 25mm int wide rims. The bead or bead seal seems to be less effective than other tyres I have used but fine once fitted. Bikerjk has used them without the same seating problems so hopefully fine for you too.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:47 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:42 am
kilroy wrote:

On 24 and 25mm int wide rims. The bead or bead seal seems to be less effective than other tyres I have used but fine once fitted. Bikerjk has used them without the same seating problems so hopefully fine for you too.
I use a compressor which helps. No chance with an airtank or tubeless track pump.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:50 pm

biker jk wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:47 pm
warthog1 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:42 am
kilroy wrote:

I use a compressor which helps. No chance with an airtank or tubeless track pump.
Bugger I was wrong. :(
I have had to use a compressor that dumps alot of air very fast with the valve removed too.

grt046

Postby grt046 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:17 am

Sealant topup or replacement.
I have seen conflicting ideas on this one from researching the issue.

When the time comes for this (around 3 monthly intervals) do you suck the old sealant out with a syringe before top up or just add to what is remaining liquid in the tyre?

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:02 pm

grt046 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:17 am

When the time comes for this (around 3 monthly intervals) do you suck the old sealant out with a syringe before top up or just add to what is remaining liquid in the tyre?
Just top up. Never been an issue. Whack it in the stand every now and then, let the air and remove valve core, put valve stem at the bottom and "dip it" with a thin cable tie. Top up if it looks low.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:07 pm

grt046 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:17 am

I've never had a rear tyre last three months before, so I rotate front to rear, clean both wheels and wash them, and add new sealant.

Having said that I've just realised my gravel tyres have actually lasted exactly three months today! A miracle. Given that's the case and I'm away riding it at Noosa next week I actually think I'll remove the tyres, wash everything and add new sealant. I've had mysterious leaks in the past that ended up being dried sealant in the valvestem so that's about the only way of removing and cleaning the valve stem.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:24 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:07 pm
I've had mysterious leaks in the past that ended up being dried sealant in the valvestem so that's about the only way of removing and cleaning the valve stem.
There is a good MTB rider here. He just buys a heap of new valve cores and swaps the valve core when that happens.
Last edited by warthog1 on Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:29 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:24 pm
Mr Purple wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:07 pm
I've had mysterious leaks in the past that ended up being dried sealant in the valvestem so that's about the only way of removing and cleaning the valve stem.
There is a good MTB rider here. He just buys a heap of new valve cores snd swaps the valve core when that happens.
I do that too.

The problem I was having was on the outside of the valvestem. Swapping the valve core won't fix it!

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:48 pm

Fair enough. Clogged stem.

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:36 pm

I've found Gravel Kings to be wildly variable in how easy they are to seat. I've had one seat first time with an air shot and another need to seat with a tube first because it wouldn't seat.

kilroy

Postby kilroy » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:33 am

blizzard wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:36 pm
I've found Gravel Kings to be wildly variable in how easy they are to seat. I've had one seat first time with an air shot and another need to seat with a tube first because it wouldn't seat.
I've just had an issue with 32mm Gravel Kings on a Bontrager Aeolus 37 Pro rim. 60ml of Orange sealant in each one. Tyres both seemed to seat using a Lezyne Pressure Over Drive pump. Both held air to about 60 psi, but any more and air seemed to escape from the tyre wall. I went for a ride to try to work the sealant around but no change. Both still holding air but cannot go above about 60psi. Any pointers?

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:46 pm

kilroy wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:33 am
I've just had an issue with 32mm Gravel Kings on a Bontrager Aeolus 37 Pro rim. 60ml of Orange sealant in each one. Tyres both seemed to seat using a Lezyne Pressure Over Drive pump. Both held air to about 60 psi, but any more and air seemed to escape from the tyre wall. I went for a ride to try to work the sealant around but no change. Both still holding air but cannot go above about 60psi. Any pointers?
Is it leaking from the bead or from the actual sidewall of the tyre? If it's the first it's just probably not seated on the bead properly, so I'd fix that.

If it's from the sidewall it's just some air leaks from the tyre itself and the sealant will fix it. I'd ride them at 60PSI for a week or so and see how they go (60 PSI on a 32mm tyre is a pretty reasonable pressure unless you're super heavy).

Also is it just air or actual sealant coming out?