Bike on a budget

CycleNewbie

Bike on a budget

Postby CycleNewbie » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:13 pm

Hi everyone!

I am wanting to start cycling however I am completely new and after some advice. I am a uni student looking for a reliable bike to travel to and from uni (~20km trip each way) and add to my fitness by riding casually on weekends. I'm not wanting to go off road.

My budget is around $350 for the bike so I'm not expecting anything special, just something to get started with. From reading other forum posts I'm stuck between buying new or second hand as there are pros and cons for both.

These are what I've been considering so far:
- Reid Transit, new $369.00
- Reid Aquila. 2nd hand $340 neg
- Specialized Ariel. 2nd hand $350neg
- Scott Sportster, P4 2008. 2nd hand $350 neg

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated :D

Ivanerrol

Re: Bike on a budget

Postby Ivanerrol » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:42 pm

Surely looking on the uni notice boards around the campus there will be some suitable items.

StevOz

Postby StevOz » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:03 pm

To me the new transit seems the best option assuming you can buy it from a local shop.

Then again the city 1 maybe the better option with a rack and mudguards for only $10 more.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:20 am

As bikes are fairly simple machines it isn’t hard to get a reliable bike. If you’ve got the skills it isn’t tat hard to keep a Kmart bike in serviceable (but not nice to ride) condition. Aim for second hand you’ll get a or better value for money and it’d you have mechanical ability repairs and upgrades can be quite cheap if they are required. It is quite easy to find a relatively unused bike in good condition either someone ought with good intentions and never really used or bought, caught the big and upgraded soon after buying.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:38 pm

CycleNewbie wrote: I am a uni student looking for a reliable bike to travel to and from uni (~20km trip each way) and add to my fitness by riding casually on weekends. I'm not wanting to go off road.
OK, my standard response is something with
* 30mm to 40mm tyres
* Mudguards
* Ability to mount a rack
Things to avoid: suspension; racy geometry.
You can commute on a race bike or a full blown MTB with a backpack but it gets sucky quickly.
A while ago I'd have said "avoid discs" at this price point but they're getting cheaper and better.

I still stand by the Reid vintage roadster as the bargain basement reference point. (The mudguards, like most, are too short but at least they're there. And a set of proper guards'll aklmost cost you more than a used roadster)

Though I'd be changing the tyres to something better (more supple) for a 20km each way commute.

Plenty of other threads with lots of options in a range of styles
Plus these three
First bike for commuting
Advice on a new commuter
Help purchasing first bike.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ